• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2008/09

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Looks like dual centuries from Hughes
You'd think NSW will declare overnight tbh, going into the last day with a massive lead. He might get, say, 5 overs to go for it, but you'd doubt Katman would put Hughes ahead of the team.

If he's in form, then take him to England with Hughes, let Jaques and Katich open, and Hughes bat at 6.
Katich would move down (probably to 6, but I reckon he should bat #4) in that situation obviously. Hughes, who's batted for all of his career at the top against Katich who's batted for most of his career in the middle.

inbox24

International Debutant
You'd think NSW will declare overnight tbh, going into the last day with a massive lead. He might get, say, 5 overs to go for it, but you'd doubt Katman would put Hughes ahead of the team.

Katich would move down (probably to 6, but I reckon he should bat #4) in that situation obviously. Hughes, who's batted for all of his career at the top against Katich who's batted for most of his career in the middle.
That's what I would've done originally, but since Katich's good streak at the top and considering he's even come out and said that he'd rather bat at 1 than 6, I'd be inclined to have him there. Also the fact that he's more experienced against the new ball with such a big series on the line, 6 might be an easier induction for Hughes.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think Kat wil try to get the lead to 400 before declaring

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That's what I would've done originally, but since Katich's good streak at the top and considering he's even come out and said that he'd rather bat at 1 than 6, I'd be inclined to have him there. Also the fact that he's more experienced against the new ball with such a big series on the line, 6 might be an easier induction for Hughes.
"Greg...Blewett"

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Greg Blewett battered the door down with runs opening the batting for South Australia, and then got a game at 6 for Australia. Got found out; couldn't play spin well early in his innings.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What does Greg Blewett have to do with this?
He was an opening batsmen who they batted at six and it stuffed up his whole career. Even though he had a solid start. He had to change his game a lot to be successful at six. Then when he got pushed up to open and No 3, he couldn't find his old game.

inbox24

International Debutant
Well if there is a weakness, I guess it's better to be found out early so that he can work on it, instead of discovering it a couple of years down the track.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
He was an opening batsmen who they batted at six and it stuffed up his whole career. Even though he had a solid start. He had to change his game a lot to be successful at six. Then when he got pushed up to open and No 3, he couldn't find his old game.
Was still a good player though. Remember he got a 200.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Looks like dual centuries from Hughes, what a guy, can't remember the last time Australia produced such an exciting talent, we definitely should take a risk and pick him. At the beginning of the summer I'd have had Jaques in, but now not so considering he's just back, still a bit stiff and needs form. Probably give him the winter to get some solid domestic cricket in during last few months of the Australian season and beginning of the English season. If he's in form, then take him to England with Hughes, let Jaques and Katich open, and Hughes bat at 6.

Do you reckon it's a risk to pick the top batsman at the domestic level when there's an vacant position in the test team?

I always thought of that as a no-brainer.

It'd be a risk if Hughes had made some good scores and some really sketchy scores, and if his first class career was only just coming to fruition this year. But the fact is that the kid has an outstanding career FC average, he's produced at every level he's played at, and when the selectors go to a game in Newcastle to have a look at him, he pounds 150 and 82*.

At the beginning of the summer it might have been a risk, but if he gets the chance to make that 82* into 100* then he's got 5 first class centuries in 7 shield games :-O

No risk involved - even if he plays all 3 tests and fails in all of them, it wasn't a risk to pick him - it's just unfortunate that the best batsman at domestic level didn't produce at test level.

They should take Jaques on tour too - see if he can score some runs in the lead-up game and bat Kat at 4 in that game (rest Clarke or Ponting). See how it all works out...

inbox24

International Debutant
Well, in terms of what the selectors have done since the big retirements, it can be considered a relative risk, because they've always stuck with names they've known especially Symonds, Lee and Johnson, even when the former two were injured and the latter was out of form against the Windies (when Bollinger was fit and ready). They've been afraid to take a risk and break the "A champion team always needs an allrounder mentality" with the selection of McDonald. So it's like they've been afraid to break the mould and take the team in a fresh direction.