• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Like a Paper Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Bunny

State Regular
The only reason for this that I can see is India wanted him for the last test and the appeal didnt last long enough.
Personally I think the ban might be over the top, but I really hope ICC stick to their guns on this one.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the BCCI seem to be treating the ICC with absolute contempt.

If India try to select Gambhir then Australia should refuse to play, simple as that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If true, yea, this is out of line. If they bothered to read the report by Justice Sachs, they'd know it was absolutely fair and his reasons were clear and compelling on why he denied the appeal.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well the BCCI seem to be treating the ICC with absolute contempt.

If India try to select Gambhir then Australia should refuse to play, simple as that.
They probably wouldn't need to do that; I'd imagine the umpires would step in if Gambhir is seen in whites this week.

The really chilling part for me is this;

"However there is a chance that India's strongly worded rebuke to the ICC will be a forerunner to their selecting the ineligible Gambhir to play in Nagpur, a situation that arose in 2001 when the banned Virender Sehwag was chosen to play against South Africa at Centurion Park despite his ban for over-appealing.

On that occasion match referee Mike Denness, who imposed the ban, was locked out of the ground and the match declared unoffical by the ICC."

Playing an unofficial 'Test' was a balls-up worse than changing the result of Pakistan's forfeit, I reckon.

Precambrian

Banned
Though the ultra-urgent steps taken by ICC to ensure that the verdict was given before the Nagpur test looks questionable, the BCCI should accept the verdict. I think they have already, otherwise why should they name a replacement? Gambhir deserved the ban totally. Recording protests should not be confused with not accepting the verdict and abiding by it. Storm in a teacup this.

Not the first time, when Murali was called for chucking by Darrell Hair, the ICC had formally asked for an explanation from Cricket Australia, which they flatly refused to do.

Yeah and ICC is a paper tiger.

Top_Cat

If true, yea, this is out of line. If they bothered to read the report by Justice Sachs, they'd know it was absolutely fair and his reasons were clear and compelling on why he denied the appeal.
To be honest, I was on the side of the fence that there was nothing in it as far as Gambhir's behaviour goes. Thought it was accidental. But he's admitted that he did it deliberately, citing Aussie verbals as the reason for it. He's lucky he's only out for one match, really.

BCCI, as you said, if this is true, are well out of line.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They probably wouldn't need to do that; I'd imagine the umpires would step in if Gambhir is seen in whites this week.

"However there is a chance that India's strongly worded rebuke to the ICC will be a forerunner to their selecting the ineligible Gambhir to play in Nagpur, a situation that arose in 2001 when the banned Virender Sehwag was chosen to play against South Africa at Centurion Park despite his ban for over-appealing.

On that occasion match referee Mike Denness, who imposed the ban, was locked out of the ground and the match declared unoffical by the ICC."

Playing an unofficial 'Test' was a balls-up worse than changing the result of Pakistan's forfeit, I reckon.
DWTA. I believe on that occasion both SA and India agreed. This is completely different. With that said, I think it was wrong then too.

If they believe the judgment to be unfair, they should pursue official channels and make changes. It's not like they lack clout at the ICC. This is childish, unnecessary and hurts the game.

Precambrian

Banned

Oh that verdict was Deness was farce. It wa a shame in the game's face.

Top_Cat

Though the ultra-urgent steps taken by ICC to ensure that the verdict was given before the Nagpur test looks questionable, the BCCI should accept the verdict. I think they have already, otherwise why should they name a replacement? Gambhir deserved the ban totally. Recording protests should not be confused with not accepting the verdict and abiding by it. Storm in a teacup this.

Not the first time, when Murali was called for chucking by Darrell Hair, the ICC had formally asked for an explanation from Cricket Australia, which they flatly refused to do.

Yeah and ICC is a paper tiger.
How is that questionable? It would be a ludicrous situation where a bloke did something bannable in one game but purely due to reasons of process, wasn't banned for the next available game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That Mike Deness decision hurt the game more than India playing an unofficial Test. This, on the other hand, is completely India's fault, if they do go through with it.

Precambrian

Banned
Not the first time, he had to be given sufficient time for appeal. The verdict comes, the appeal is made and then the verdict on the appeal is made the next day. And BCCI is saying in its letter that the verdict was given before proper preparations could be made to counter the verdict.

But having said that, I prefer Gambhir getting this right now. He has been guilty of doing it in the past, and if still didnt learn from that, this should teach him. Fully justified.

Top_Cat

Not the first time, he had to be given sufficient time for appeal. The verdict comes, the appeal is made and then the verdict on the appeal is made the next day. And BCCI is saying in its letter that the verdict was given before proper preparations could be made to counter the verdict.
This is true and shows one of the disadvantages to the stacked Test program, really. Must be some way of compressing the process because we're not talking big briefs here. It's about one incident, not a murder case. Either that or give more time between games. The current arrangement is unacceptable.

But having said that, I prefer Gambhir getting this right now. He has been guilty of doing it in the past, and if still didnt learn from that, this should teach him. Fully justified.
Yeah it's lucky, in terms of who holds the moral high-ground in this debate, his guilt was so clear-cut, especially as he admitted it. Without that..... I mean, the BCCI can kick and scream all they want about due process, doesn't change the fact Gambhir admitted he did it deliberately.

Precambrian

Banned
This is true and shows one of the disadvantages to the stacked Test program, really. Must be some way of compressing the process because we're not talking big briefs here. It's about one incident, not a murder case. Either that or give more time between games. The current arrangement is unacceptable.

Yeah it's lucky, in terms of who holds the moral high-ground in this debate, his guilt was so clear-cut, especially as he admitted it. Without that..... I mean, the BCCI can kick and scream all they want about due process, doesn't change the fact Gambhir admitted he did it deliberately.
Yep, and hopefully the youngsters also learn from this incident. And while I truly resent Katich going scot-free, there is nothing that can be argued in Gambhir's favor. The first thing to need as a test batsman is patience and letting the bat doing the talking, and with the Fab 4 around him, who have made tons of runs, and have not been booked once for such stupidity on the field, despite having faced provocations much worse than what Gambhir had to face. The sooner he understands that sledging by bowlers is actually an act of cowardice and insecurity on the part of bowlers that their balls are not doing enough talking, the better.

archie mac

International Coach
Yep, and hopefully the youngsters also learn from this incident. And while I truly resent Katich going scot-free, there is nothing that can be argued in Gambhir's favor. The first thing to need as a test batsman is patience and letting the bat doing the talking, and with the Fab 4 around him, who have made tons of runs, and have not been booked once for such stupidity on the field, despite having faced provocations much worse than what Gambhir had to face. The sooner he understands that sledging by bowlers is actually an act of cowardice and insecurity on the part of bowlers that their balls are not doing enough talking, the better.
Katich should have at least got the same as Watson imo:)

Status
Not open for further replies.