• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future changes to Aussie team

Julian87

State Captain
There have obviously been some selection mistakes in this Indian series. Some suggestions for future changes to the Australian Test Team. Any ideas?

Firstly, Aust. need a young spinner desperately. I think Dan Cullen could fill this role.
He has just got something about him, some energy that you need in a spinner to set them apart from the average bowler. He took a 3 for the other day to get him back in form.
With a few senior matches under his belt i think he will be a gun (and he has the shane warne blonde hair!).

Shaun Tait was impressive in his return for Australia A, and needs to be considered again for selection, especially if there is no improvement from Lee.

Hilfenhaus takes wickets with the new ball, something which the current bowlers have been unable to do.

My preferred team:

Hayden
S.Marsh
Ponting(c)
Hussey
Voges
Clarke
Ronchi+
Cullen
Lee
Clark
Tait
12th-Hilfenhaus/Johnson

Im sure there are many other changes u can think of.
Worst post I have ever read on this forum.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is Nathan Bracken nowhere in the reckoning for the test side?
Oz selectors = clueless

All they've had to do for the past 15 years is select backups for some of the greatest players in history and, fortunately for them, the vast majority of "backups" have been amongst the world's best players

Unfortunately for Oz cricket, on the incredibly rare occasions that they've had a remotely challenging decision to make, they've stuffed it up

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Oz selectors = clueless

All they've had to do for the past 15 years is select backups for some of the greatest players in history and, fortunately for them, the vast majority of "backups" have been amongst the world's best players

Unfortunately for Oz cricket, on the incredibly rare occasions that they've had a remotely challenging decision to make, they've stuffed it up
Whats the official line on his non-selection? Surely the selectors must have been questioned on this sometime in the past?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think its got something to do with his hair-style and that hair-band of his....:ph34r:
Ponting seems to have a phobia of long haired guys....Gillespie dropped after a double, Harbhajan and Ishant bunnifying him, Symonds and Bracken being left back in Oz.... :unsure:

pup11

International Coach
Ponting seems to have a phobia of long haired guys....Gillespie dropped after a double, Harbhajan and Ishant bunnifying him, Symonds and Bracken being left back in Oz.... :unsure:
Yeah he envies all those blokes imo,he didn't had much hair of his own left, until Shane Warne told him about this hair studio.:p

JackPot

U19 12th Man
batting order change is needed badly --Lee has done more justice to his batting skills than with the ball in the series so far.

Should send Lee higher up in the order.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
White's role, though, was always meant to be bowling a few overs and to bolster the lower order batting after the retirements/ injuries/ unavailabilities, wasn't it?
Don't really see how they had much choice for this tour, but generally I'm not a fan of picking players in the lower order because they can bat a bit - it's negative and it smakcs of Gilesness on the last Ashes tour here.
As I said though, I don't think they had that many options for this tour, apart from Bracken who I think should have been picked as a fast-spinner bowling those cutters of his with keeper up to the stumps.

howardj

International Coach
This tour is a write-off, but when we get back to Australia, this would be my pecking order:

Quicks
Clark
Lee
Johnson
Bollinger
Noffke
Bracken
Siddle
MacGoffin

Spinners
McGain
Casson
Hauritz
White
Cullen
Krejza

FBU

International Debutant
Tait has said that he wants to stick to the one day game. Probably because his last efforts in Test cricket might have caused his depression. I remember before the last Test he played that he was saying he and Lee would blast the opposition out with their pace. He found that he was bowling after Lee, Clark and Johnson and didn't manage to take any wickets.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This tour is a write-off, but when we get back to Australia, this would be my pecking order:

Quicks
Clark
Lee
Johnson
Noffke
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus

Bracken
Siddle
MacGoffin

Spinners
McGain
Casson
Hauritz
White
Cullen
Krejza
fixed

Bollinger had a great season last season but is not as good as Noffke, or at least has not been as good as Noffke for as long as Noffke. Hilfenhaus is an extremely talented bowler and deserves a shot ahead of the others, despite his poor run last year.

Bracken is not test match material. His bowling is not menacing enough.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bracken is not test match material. His bowling is not menacing enough.
This is a viewpoint which I find very frustrating. Our bowling problem in India isn't a lack of 'menace', it's that none of our bowlers have any control over where they want to put the ball.[/hyperbole]

I believe we should be selecting bowlers who can actually land the pill where they want it consistently enough to frustrate the batsmen, especially as the rebuilding phase begins.

Which is why I'm such fans of Bracken, Noffke and Heal. Their control is superb and I believe that's what is needed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
White's role, though, was always meant to be bowling a few overs and to bolster the lower order batting after the retirements/ injuries/ unavailabilities, wasn't it?
Don't really see how they had much choice for this tour, but generally I'm not a fan of picking players in the lower order because they can bat a bit - it's negative and it smakcs of Gilesness on the last Ashes tour here.
As I said though, I don't think they had that many options for this tour, apart from Bracken who I think should have been picked as a fast-spinner bowling those cutters of his with keeper up to the stumps.
Bracken's basically never done it at FC level, and with no pressure to score (unlike the ODIs in which he's used that tactic) I'd doubt that it would work, and you can't select him to do that ahead of other options.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is a viewpoint which I find very frustrating. Our bowling problem in India isn't a lack of 'menace', it's that none of our bowlers have any control over where they want to put the ball.[/hyperbole]

I believe we should be selecting bowlers who can actually land the pill where they want it consistently enough to frustrate the batsmen, especially as the rebuilding phase begins.

Which is why I'm such fans of Bracken, Noffke and Heal. Their control is superb and I believe that's what is needed.
Agree to some extent.

What I find even more bermusing is the fact that he'd surely be more 'menacing' in India with that early swing and then those cutters he bowls later on than someone like Siddle. None of the bowlers can move the ball at all ATM for various reasons - not even the spinner! Bracken would have been awesome over there.

He's really the only bowler in the country to have a consistent enough First Class bowling record between seasons to actually justify Test selection, his bowling style suits the conditions on tour perfectly, we're going through a period of change within the fast bowling ranks and yet he's overlooked for a bowler who has only played six First Class games.

I'm actually *not* a huge Bracken fan by any stretch of the imagination but he should at least be in the reckoning for Tests in the subcontinent.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bracken's basically never done it at FC level, and with no pressure to score (unlike the ODIs in which he's used that tactic) I'd doubt that it would work, and you can't select him to do that ahead of other options.
He actually did it a few times last season for extended spells with the old ball if match reports are to be believed; don't remember how successful it actually was though.