• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When will India become Number Uno?

Xuhaib

International Coach
With so much money flowing in to Indian cricket and a more professional approach being undertaken by their cricket board it is only a matter of time before India becomes the best cricketing nation.

So when do you guys think there will be this transfer of power from Aus to India?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Never. Not in my lifetime at least. BCCI is still too far from being a meritocracy, let alone a body that has the interest of cricket at heart.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Never. Not in my lifetime at least. BCCI is still too far from being a meritocracy, let alone a body that has the interest of cricket at heart.

When you make investment in some new business the initial returns are usually slow but in most cases you eventually see higher profits.

10 years back India was languishing in the bottom 3 and now they are in the top 3

With more money to invest and a more professional attitude the Indians can nurture their budding fast bowlers better then they did previously. Talents like Ishant are a direct product of this more professional system and I believe he will not be the last.

Isn't it some thing that surprises you that a country which produced only 2 good fast bowlers in past 50 years suddenly has developed a never ending production line of good to decent fast bowlers.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When you make investment in some new business the initial returns are usually slow but in most cases you eventually see higher profits.

10 years back India was languishing in the bottom 3 and now they are in the top 3

With more money to invest and a more professional attitude the Indians can nurture their budding fast bowlers better then they did previously. Talents like Ishant are a direct product of this more professional system and I believe he will not be the last.

Isn't it some thing that surprises you that a country which produced only 2 good fast bowlers in past 50 years suddenly has developed a never ending production line of good to decent fast bowlers.
Sport doesn't really work like that. Investing money won't make the world's best cricketers be born Indian. Why do Brazil continually produce the best footballers? England's funding, structure and league football is of a much higher standard. Is it only a matter of time before England take over from Brazil or Italy?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sport doesn't really work like that. Investing money won't make the world's best cricketers be born Indian. Why do Brazil continually produce the best footballers? England's funding, structure and league football is of a much higher standard. Is it only a matter of time before England take over from Brazil or Italy?
Yes.

:ph34r:

Xuhaib

International Coach
A better system = better cricketers.

Do you WI would have lost their #1 position had they adopted a more professional approach with their cricket.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I truly believe that India are not far at all from their golden generation but many of the players who are destined for a special run could let their opportunity slip. I am talking Tests, btw.

Badrinath has an awesome FC record which is a tribute to his superb consistency and ability. Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli have been marked for greatness and both have awesome talent. Sharma's century for the BP XI shows his talent for scoring runs against good bowling, as did his performance in the IPL - it is consistency he needs to attain. Kohli has shown himself a potential superstar since bursting onto the adult scene from the U19 scene, where he was a superstar. Suresh Raina is a superb young talent too. Chopra has a few years left in him and Pujara is also one who could theoretically be great too, after churning so many runs this season and scoring 386 is also a pretty strong sign of run scoring ability.

The bowling is where a tremendous amount of potential lies. Piyush Chawla has a brilliant FC record, boosted tremendously from ripping Kenya and Zimbabwe to shreds, but the talent is undeniable. Amit Mishra has gone through the domestic system well and visibly looks a good bowler. The pace bowling also has fantastic young talent. Ishant Sharma is destined for a decade of success, Munaf Patel also is a superb talent; although I expect the ravages of age to strike him viciously when he gets to about 30 years old. VRV Singh is a superb wicket taker too and with the right fields, could be a true international strike bowler. This is not to mention Mohnish Parmar - the 'new Murali' (said with a couple gallons of sarcasm, but still a promising talent nonetheless) or Sudeep Tyagy who apparently bowls at international pace after a very strong first FC season.

Uppercut

A better system = better cricketers.

Do you WI would have lost their #1 position had they adopted a more professional approach with their cricket.
Show me a sport where the country with the best system has the best team. And don't say China and table tennis.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Show me a sport where the country with the best system has the best team. And don't say China and table tennis.
Asutralia had the best system for the past 2 decades and they also happen to have the best team of the past 1-half decade

Xuhaib

International Coach
I truly believe that India are not far at all from their golden generation but many of the players who are destined for a special run could let their opportunity slip. I am talking Tests, btw.

Badrinath has an awesome FC record which is a tribute to his superb consistency and ability. Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli have been marked for greatness and both have awesome talent. Sharma's century for the BP XI shows his talent for scoring runs against good bowling, as did his performance in the IPL - it is consistency he needs to attain. Kohli has shown himself a potential superstar since bursting onto the adult scene from the U19 scene, where he was a superstar. Suresh Raina is a superb young talent too. Chopra has a few years left in him and Pujara is also one who could theoretically be great too, after churning so many runs this season and scoring 386 is also a pretty strong sign of run scoring ability.

The bowling is where a tremendous amount of potential lies. Piyush Chawla has a brilliant FC record, boosted tremendously from ripping Kenya and Zimbabwe to shreds, but the talent is undeniable. Amit Mishra has gone through the domestic system well and visibly looks a good bowler. The pace bowling also has fantastic young talent. Ishant Sharma is destined for a decade of success, Munaf Patel also is a superb talent; although I expect the ravages of age to strike him viciously when he gets to about 30 years old. VRV Singh is a superb wicket taker too and with the right fields, could be a true international strike bowler. This is not to mention Mohnish Parmar - the 'new Murali' (said with a couple gallons of sarcasm, but still a promising talent nonetheless) or Sudeep Tyagy who apparently bowls at international pace after a very strong first FC season.

Your post was superb till you came up to this part after this I could not take it seriously.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Could be next year or could be 22nd century. These things always seem like they will never happen and then they do.

Hard to put a timeline on it but Id go for later rather than sooner.

Hard to put a lot of faith on a nation for its immediate sporting future when 3 Olympic medals represents a 'golden games'

India may well be number 1 some day (or tomorrow) its just that there are others better prepared.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That is an interesting question. In terms of preparation, how would you rank the teams (besides Australia obviously)?

Uppercut

That is an interesting question. In terms of preparation, how would you rank the teams (besides Australia obviously)?
England are surely second, i should think? Don't know enough about the other FC systems to say much after that...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well obv Aus are miles ahead in terms of structure, culture, facilities etc.

After that then India and England probably occupy the long term 2nd postition.

SA, Sri Lanka and Pakistan all have issues that make it difficult for them to be a long term number 2.

NZ, Bang and WI just do not have the financial or playing resources to compete.

EDIT- And Zim below Ireland now (hopefully)

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Your post was superb till you came up to this part after this I could not take it seriously.
18 wickets in 2 games in the Duleep Trophy, strike rate of 40 in FC cricket, where is the problem? He is tremendously expensive, but the man knows how to take wickets.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Well obv Aus are miles ahead in terms of structure, culture, facilities etc.

After that then India and England probably occupy the long term 2nd postition.
I'd presume you the more knowledgable on the matter, but I'd place India a third to England at second. India's facilities have often been said to be poor for touring sides, players were very poorly paid up until recently and there is not nearly the standard of coaching, especially physical conditioning there. There is no coincidence that RP Singh and Zaheer Khan came along leaps and bounds in England, although the former's improvement appears to have regressed slightly. It was noted that strengthening to RP Singh's right leg (???) in England helped his bowling substantially