• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Rugby League World Cup 2008 Thread***

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With the NRL 2008 season now at a close, the Rugby League world now turn their attention to the World Cup, which beings in 3 weeks. The Australian team should be selected within the next week or two, so there will be plenty to discuss.

Opening game is on the 24th of October and the Opening ceremony on the 25th of October with the Grand Final at Suncorp Stadium (which I will be attending) on the 22nd of November.

howardj

International Coach
Hope it goes well.

Looking forward to the Final - got our tickets way back in about January.

The Final will be historic for us Brisbane folk, like the SuperLeague 1997 GF up here.

It's a good reward for the support that League gets in Brisbane.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Pleased to see Scotland's Michael Robertson run in a hat-trick today.
And Tonga's Brent Kite get the Clive Churchill medal. Or is he playing for one of the other five nations he was named in the training squads for?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
And Tonga's Brent Kite get the Clive Churchill medal. Or is he playing for one of the other five nations he was named in the training squads for?
Ha, yeah. Bit of contrivance about some of the teams, the cynics might say.

Am looking forward to it tho, all the same. Hopefully with the "super group" we'll avoid too many 2000-style thrashings.

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
Very tempted to get tickets for the final will have to twist my parents arm as its 2 days after my bday

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm looking forward to this tbh.

My Australian lineup.

1 Brett STEWART
2 Israel FOLAU
3 Greg INGLIS
4 Justin HODGES
5 Brent TATE
6 Darren LOCKYER
7 Johnathan THURSTON
8 Brent KITE
9 Cameron SMITH
10 Petero CIVONICEVA
11 Anthony LAFFRANCHI
12 Paul GALLEN
13 Glenn STEWART

14 Billy SLATER
15 Steve PRICE
16 Josh PERRY
17 Sam THAIDAY

18 Anthony WATMOUGH

* Stewart over Slater - Stewart is my favourite player in the comp and don't think of him as a bench option at all.

* Slater over Gidley - Slater has been terrific all season and is a decent impact player. Gidley is always talked about as a utility player and good off the bench, but rarely does perform when coming on from the bench, good player no doubt, but I think if we are looking for a guy to come on and make an impact from dummy half Slater could do it. If there is any injury to a half, Inglis can be moved.

* Laffranchi starting in front of Thaiday - I just think of Thaiday will offer more from the bench. I rate Laffranchi, realize he might find it tough to get a spot though as he didn't get to play in the finals. Anthony Watmough is my 18th man.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
* Stewart over Slater - Stewart is my favourite player in the comp and don't think of him as a bench option at all.

* Slater over Gidley - Slater has been terrific all season and is a decent impact player. Gidley is always talked about as a utility player and good off the bench, but rarely does perform when coming on from the bench, good player no doubt, but I think if we are looking for a guy to come on and make an impact from dummy half Slater could do it. If there is any injury to a half, Inglis can be moved.

* Laffranchi starting in front of Thaiday - I just think of Thaiday will offer more from the bench. I rate Laffranchi, realize he might find it tough to get a spot though as he didn't get to play in the finals. Anthony Watmough is my 18th man.
I wouldn't pick the side purely on form personally, if you actually want to win the World Cup. I know most people will say Australia could picke any one of 100 odd players and still win the World Cup. But I would go with guys that proven their worth at rep level and for Australia in the past.

A few of Manly boys should have pushed for spot in squad now. But I wouldn't picking too many in the starting 17. There is still better backrowers then Watmough. There still better wingers then Williams and Robertson. There still better front rowers then Perry.

Would still have the likes Glen Stewart, Brett Stewart, Kite and Perry in the squad. Wouldn't have any of them in the start XIII. Maybe Kite off the bench.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I am so not interested in this. All I am looking forward to is discussing Australia's line up on another forum, not looking forward to the actual tournament or the matches at all.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
The rugby league world cup is a absolute joke. Well done Australia you can wina at a game that nobody else in the world cares about!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australian Squad Named

Terry Campese (Raiders)
Petero Civoniceva (Panthers)
Michael Crocker (Storm)
Craig Fitzgibbon (Roosters)
Israel Folau (Storm)
Paul Gallen (Sharks)
Kurt Gidley (Knights)
Justin Hodges (Broncos)
Greg Inglis (Storm)