• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muralitharan - Finger or Wrist Spinner?

What type of spinner is Murali?

• Total voters

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
His a wrist spinner, i think you'll find that there is a lot off spinners coming through that are wrist spinners. One reason is the increase amount of spin you get, as well as increase amount of bounce. But the main reason is that i think its pretty much impossible to bowl (well throw) a doosra without having a wrist spining action and grip. Also bowling off spin with a wrist spinner grip and action allows you to bowl with more variety.

Personally i did try to bowl off breaks with a wrist spinners action, but i stuffed up my shoulder and i couldn't get any consistency. But i did get a lot more turn and bounce and i could land a doosra, but i blantly threw it.
But isn't a wrist spun doosra effectively a standard leg break ?

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Well, he would consider himself an offspinner (and is listed as such), so I will, too, out of respect for him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, yeah. Disgraceful tstl.
Haha, "disgraceful". Some poor, undoubtedly, in terms of being less than polite to some (some of whom deserved it incidentally) but not terribly surprising.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only to right-handers (and only when bowling his stock-ball).

When he bowls his stock-ball to left-handers he's a legspinner.

And when he bowls his wrong-'un to right-handers he's a legspinner.
Haha, "disgraceful". Poor, undoubtedly, but not terribly surprising.
Not going to make a big deal about it, but I found this particularly baffling. A bowler's classification doesn't change from off-spinner to leg-spinner if the batsman is left-handed, and I'm sure almost everybody would agree with me.

Shane Warne is a leg-spinner, but his deliveries to left-handers are the same as off-spinners to a right-hander, in the fact they are coming into the batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it doesn't - so the point is those definitions are poor-quality and undescriptive. The term "legspinner" and "offspinner" are undescriptive and potentially misleading. A bowler does not break the ball in the same direction every delivery, it changes according to what he tries to do and which handed bat is on strike.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, it doesn't - so the point is those definitions are poor-quality and undescriptive. The term "legspinner" and "offspinner" are undescriptive and potentially misleading. A bowler does not break the ball in the same direction every delivery, it changes according to what he tries to do and which handed bat is on strike.
Nup, cause it's taken from the point of the bowler and his handedness, not the batsman. You know exactly what a legspinner bowls (a lefty is a chinaman).

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Agree with this tbh. Causes far less confusion imo to just use the labels of wrist/finger spinner. It's illogical to say that a leg-spinner remains a leg-spinner despite the ball spinning like an off-spinning delivery would. Unfortunately, the conservatism of cricket means most people won't even entertain this notion, let alone support it.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
those definitions are poor-quality and undescriptive. The term "legspinner" and "offspinner" are undescriptive and potentially misleading. A bowler does not break the ball in the same direction every delivery, it changes according to what he tries to do and which handed bat is on strike.
Is anyone here really confused or misled by Murali being described as an offspinner even though he (generally) turns it from the leg to a left-hander?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I hear him called a fingerspinner a fair bit...

Seriously, the "confusing" bit refers to people unfamiliar with the game and who've just worked-out what "off-side" and "leg-side" are. I can just see them wondering what the hell's going on with someone who's labelled "off-break" breaking the ball to leg because a non-like-hander is on strike.

As I say - I prefer it that deliveries, rather than bowlers, are classified.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nup, cause it's taken from the point of the bowler and his handedness, not the batsman.
Huh? The bowler doesn't bowl to himself.
You know exactly what a legspinner bowls (a lefty is a chinaman).
If you're familiar with the game you do, but I though the point of classification of bowlers was to try and make it obvious to those not familiar?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I hear him called a fingerspinner a fair bit...

Seriously, the "confusing" bit refers to people unfamiliar with the game and who've just worked-out what "off-side" and "leg-side" are. I can just see them wondering what the hell's going on with someone who's labelled "off-break" breaking the ball to leg because a non-like-hander is on strike.

As I say - I prefer it that deliveries, rather than bowlers, are classified.
If you want to make cricket-speak more accessible to the unfamiliar then you'd have to effect some pretty sweeping changes to cricketing terminology. Besides, we all love the weird and arcane jargon. The fact is, everyone who knows a little bit about cricket knows the difference between a legspinner and an offspinner. I suspect you and I both worked this out at about age 6.

And think about it this way: it's a lot simpler, and just as descriptive, to describe a legspinner as such, rather than to say "a wrist spinner whose stock delivery to the right handed batsman spins from leg to off".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I just prefer no mention of which direction the stock delivery turns, TBH.

I do like it when some form of suggestion (again, no more than that - these quirky little crickety things certainly strike here) about how much the ball is likely to turn is mentioned, though.

Your "classical" wristspinner (ie, not Anil Kumble) will turn the ball more than any fingerspinner ever will on a like-for-like surface.