• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is form transferrable between different formats?

tooextracool

International Coach
Strauss' contributions at Edgbaston (first-innings), Old Trafford (second-innings) and Trent Bridge (both innings') were important AFAIC. Not Earth-shatteringly brilliant innings, but important to the outcome.

Trescothick could be argued to be the second-best batsman of that series, but so could Strauss or Pietersen.
Strauss was absolutely atrocious against Warne. And by absolutely atrocious I am not exaggerating, he just couldnt buy a run. Which is why his performance at the Oval came out of the blue. I guess had he actually batted longer during the Ashes series down under, it might not have made much of a difference. As i said earlier, to put Strauss down as being England's number 2 batter is fair, but only if you put him as 2nd from the bottom.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really don't see how he was any worse than Vaughan. Pietersen, well, he started superbly then went utterly shocking, until luck made him look like he'd been the best batsman of the series.

Obviously Geraint Jones was bottom of the pile, with Bell comfortably second-bottom.

tooextracool

International Coach
I really don't see how he was any worse than Vaughan. Pietersen, well, he started superbly then went utterly shocking, until luck made him look like he'd been the best batsman of the series.
Pietersen had 4 meaningful contributions in the series. Strauss had 1 and if you really want to be generous you could count his 100 at OT which as i said earlier, you only have to look at the fact that Bell scored a 50 in the same innings to realize how significant that was.

Obviously Geraint Jones was bottom of the pile, with Bell comfortably second-bottom.
I dont really count him as a batsman. Bell and Vaughan were easily worse, but Flintoff, Pietersen and Trescothick were infinitely better. Being in the middle of a very poor bunch is hardly much of an accomplishment IMO. My estimate of his abilities dropped a notch after watching him play during the Ashes, and it only got worse when I watched him in Pakistan.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At Edgbaston, the match difference was two runs. In the third Test, the Aussies only drew by virtue of the rain, really. As you said, England thoroughly deserves their victory. Especially since he would have been playing in his first Test series,

I'd have backed Hussey to do relatively poorly, especially since vastly experienced, tough Test batsmen like Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, etc. didn't come close to equalling their career averages. Even Kat was relatively experienced and came into the series in reasonable nick, yet left it a shot-duck.

Plus, the reserve swing was clearly more effective against lefties so Hussey would have had to contend with that. It's all idle speculation and no-one has any way of knowing for sure but England's bowling, as good as their batting was, made the difference. If a line-up like the Aussies had for that series can struggle, anyone can and Hussey, I'd hazard, would have too.
Aye i agree, i wasn't saying if Huss had played they'd have won the series. Was just making the general point that the series was damn close and the slightest change in circumstances could have made Australia (undeserved) victors.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Mints.

You know it, they know it, everyone knows....

It was the mints that got them bowling so well.

In the most recent test v SA, I noticed Vaughan on the field chewing on the remnants of a mandarin after the lunch break. Ban them!! Plainly being used for an unfair advantage by the conniving England Hierarchy.

Oh look, is that the time? :ph34r:
LOL you know the first time I read you saying this I got a bit wound up. Know now to take with a pinch of salt :p

Rich, who did you think was the best batsman of the series? Sorry if you've already said it.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Pietersen started very well then faded (and of course had copious good fortune at The Oval to make it look better)
Sigh. If that's genuinely your view of KP's performance at the Oval, I honestly and in all seriousness feel sorry for you. While you were ruing his good luck (and doubtless totting up his first chance average!), the rest of us were enjoying one of the most exhilarating counter-attacking innings of all time.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Sigh. If that's genuinely your view of KP's performance at the Oval, I honestly and in all seriousness feel sorry for you. While you were ruing his good luck (and doubtless totting up his first chance average!), the rest of us were enjoying one of the most exhilarating counter-attacking innings of all time.

You will learn that Richard despises the likes of Pietersen because he scores too quickly and it's not an even contest between bat and ball. That's why he hero worships Atherton and Kirsten - because they don't attempt to score at more than 2.9 an over - yet can't stand Viv Richards.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You will learn that Richard despises the likes of Pietersen because he scores too quickly and it's not an even contest between bat and ball. That's why he hero worships Atherton and Kirsten - because they don't attempt to score at more than 2.9 an over - yet can't stand Viv Richards.
Are you able to explain his fondness for Graham Smith? My Learned Friend and I both struggle with that one

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Let's be fair, Richard is a fan of Pietersen and has never said otherwise

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That might be funny, if it wasn't such utter claptrap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, I wasn't ruing it, and I certainly wasn't failing to enjoy the fact that the missed chance from Warne (and later Katich's failure to run in quickly enough to get something at mid-off that he should have taken) finally sealed the series for us.

However, what one enjoys at the time and what one reflects later are two completely different things. Much as I enjoyed the time while Pietersen was at the crease, I don't think his was an especially good innings and never will.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think his was an especially good innings and never will.
Oh come on. Seriously?

I understand the dropped catch aspect but there is 1000 times more to that innings than getting lucky.

He had a let off but it was still an innings of genius

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He's not really able to explain anything when the subject is me - he doesn't have a clue there.

Fortunately you're not a subject, just an object of ridicule which doesn't require explanation as even the newest members spot it straight away.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh come on. Seriously?

I understand the dropped catch aspect but there is 1000 times more to that innings than getting lucky.

He had a let off but it was still an innings of genius
That's exaggerating it, a lot. There was good batting involved in the innings, but to call it an innings of genius is, well, as I say, exaggerating. But it's as simple as this: had Warne taken that catch, Australia would probably have won that Test.

An innings of genius would need (IMO) to be played purely on the batsman's ability. That innings wasn't. There was only one out-and-out drop, but there was another catch that should have been taken which wasn't even reached.