• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think you're right. But the question is, can England afford to have Fred and Ambrose at 6 and 7 given their rotten batting form in recent months? This is why I think Prior may be called up.

I've nothing against Ambrose btw - he's a good keeper and can certainly bat but he's been struggling for runs. And Fred is hardly a Test number 6 at the best of times, and these aren't the best of times as far as his batting is concerned.
Ambrose > both Prior and Flintoff with the bat IMO. And I've thought that pretty much all career of all three players.

Woodster

International Captain
Can't help but hope to see Smith and Kallis pile-on a pile today and bash Anderson and Broad (and MSP presuming it doesn't turn much - though that'll be an interesting question to see) for plenty however.
Why on earth would you hope for such a thing ??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'Cos Graeme Smith's just about my favourite batsman currently playing TBH, and has been for years.

And I also want Anderson out of the Test team by this time next year because I don't think he's that good and think there are far better bowlers to have against Australia.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
'Cos Graeme Smith's just about my favourite batsman currently playing TBH, and has been for years.

And I also want Anderson out of the Test team by this time next year because I don't think he's that good and think there are far better bowlers to have against Australia.
Well i'd much rather Anderson advance his credentials in this series to be the be England's number 1 swing bowler ahead of Hoggard/Sidebottom since by next summer only 1 will be needed.

Woodster

International Captain
You Beauty!!!!Perfect start, getting rid of him cheaply, looked a bit of extra bounce there that proved his undoing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well i'd much rather Anderson advance his credentials in this series to be the be England's number 1 swing bowler ahead of Hoggard/Sidebottom since by next summer only 1 will be needed.
Anderson will never be better than Sidebottom, and there is never and should never be a limit on the number of swing-bowlers. The more bowlers who can swing the ball the better.

pasag

RTDAS
I see one of Broad or Anderson missing out depending on how they bowl if they are keen to bring Flintoff back in.

Weather looks fine at Lords for now, let battle commence. Would love to see us pick Smith up early doors!!
Nah, if Broad or Anderson don't do well it'll be attributed to the pitch in all probability or they'll think that if four bowlers can't do the job against SA they'd need five plus the selectors are probably worried about Flintoff's bowling load so the man in the worst form - Collingwood will get the flick. However if either of the two bowl horrendously, you never know.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson will never be better than Sidebottom, .
Oh dear..

and there is never and should never be a limit on the number of swing-bowlers. The more bowlers who can swing the ball the better.
Unless you expect to play on a headlingley green-top every type you step out on the playing field i don't see why having more than two conventional swing bowlers would be need.

For ENG of course once all are fit, given the best balance would be 6 bats, Freddie, Keeper, 3 bowlers (including Monty unless the conditions really favour swing bowling). Two of the quicks will be Freddie/Jones & for variety a swing bowler thus a battle with Sidebottom/Hoggard/Anderson arises.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, if Broad or Anderson don't do well it'll be attributed to the pitch in all probability or they'll think that if four bowlers can't do the job against SA they'd need five plus the selectors are probably worried about Flintoff's bowling load so the man in the worst form - Collingwood will get the flick. However if either of the two bowl horrendously, you never know.
Did 5 bowlers help SA when England just ran up 600 declared?

They can play 5 as Kallis is a bonus as he is a quality bat. Playing 5 doesnt help anything overall.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh dear..
He won't, and you can oh dear as much as you like. Anyone who can understand a bowler's potential will realise, TBH, that Anderson simply doesn't have that capacity.
Unless you expect to play on a headlingley green-top every type you step out on the playing field i don't see why having more than two conventional swing bowlers would be need.
It doesn't matter what the pitch is like. Swing takes the pitch out of the equation, that's why it's such a good weapon.
For ENG of course once all are fit, given the best balance would be 6 bats, Freddie, Keeper, 3 bowlers (including Monty unless the conditions really favour swing bowling). Two of the quicks will be Freddie/Jones & for variety a swing bowler thus a battle with Sidebottom/Hoggard/Anderson arises.
You need as many swing-bowlers as you can get. Jones is about as much a swing-bowler as anyone in history has been, that's what makes him so dangerous, and Flintoff is not as much of one as Jones but still plenty of it. Sidebottom, Jones and Flintoff would be an attack composed 100% of swing-bowlers.

chalky

International Debutant
A poor opening spell from Sidebottom too wide & no 'nip'.
Looked to me to be bowling within himself - I wonder if he is still carrying an injury?

pasag

RTDAS
Did 5 bowlers help SA when England just ran up 600 declared?

They can play 5 as Kallis is a bonus as he is a quality bat. Playing 5 doesnt help anything overall.
I didn't say that's the best option though, I said that's what they might be thinking.

If it was up to me I'd drop Collingwood for Shah and not bring Flintoff back until he proves himself fitness wise domestically.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It doesn't matter what the pitch is like. Swing takes the pitch out of the equation, that's why it's such a good weapon.
DWTA (kinda). A theory into what causes late swing is that there is sometimes a layer of water vapour above the pitch in which the ball travels differently.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ambrose > both Prior and Flintoff with the bat IMO. And I've thought that pretty much all career of all three players.
As a Sussex supporter I've had the chance to watch both Ambrose and Prior over a long period.

Tim Ambrose is a good player. In 2003 he batted at 5 for Sussex (and kept) while Prior batted 7. At that stage I felt that Tim could be the better batsman.

However since then I've been proved wrong: Prior has outperformed Ambrose with the bat in their first class careers and also in their short Test careers. Ambrose is a more limited, less dominant and less classy batsman than Prior.

I don't think you'd find many Sussex supporters who would disagree with me about that, even though they still hold Tim in high regard.