• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Commentators

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Asshole isn't filtered. And if it was, it'd be ******* not a**hole, never mind a***hole.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not saying commentary in SA is any better, as it most certainly isn't.. But in the TMS box he is outclassed by everyone except this hideous Pougatch character, who I now see is covering Wimbledon.. Lets hope he stays there for the SA series..
Unlikely, Wimbledon finishes on Sunday.:)

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
Except Ramiz Raja there is no good Asian commentator.

And yeah how can anyone not like "David Lloyd" eh?

And, whats that abt Mark Nicholas which some people dont like?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
No he can't.. A good commentator paints a picture of what's going on whilst consistently getting player names/scores/details correct.

I'm afraid Blofeld falls well short, sure he is a cracking guy, who just needs to grab his pipe and slipper now I think
I agree. I’ve never really liked him. Sure, as a kid, I thought that he was interesting and eccentric. But now he comes across as amateurish and tiresome.

Neither a respected cricketing journalist or an ex-player. Just a character. That gets boring quickly.

He isn’t what I want representing cricket when new people tune in. Its a 21st century professional sport not a boarding school arse tickling competition.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I agree. I’ve never really liked him. Sure, as a kid, I thought that he was interesting and eccentric. But now he comes across as amateurish and tiresome.

Neither a respected cricketing journalist or an ex-player. Just a character. That gets boring quickly.

He isn’t what I want representing cricket when new people tune in. Its a 21st century professional sport not a boarding school arse tickling competition.
You are right.

He is just a slightly better version of our own Navjot Singh Siddhu. These guys seem to think that clever one liners are what its all about and dont understand they if we wanted stand up comedians we would look in a completely different direction.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
And yeah how can anyone not like "David Lloyd" eh?
He is a clown. I don't find him funny, though, I just find him irritating. In fact I think he's an imbecile.

And, whats that abt Mark Nicholas which some people dont like?
He is the ultimate commentary-box poser. I don't mean in terms of his natty dress sense, I mean in terms of his smug self-satisfaction in his commentary. The content of what he's saying is actually relatively perceptive and thoughtful. But his operatic delivery and his oh-so affected language make him the ultimate ponce among pundits.

"Sixer!"
"HO HO Freddie!"
"By heaven!"

As I may have mentioned already on this thread, someone once summed it up brilliantly by saying that Nicholas is "laminated in a veneer of self-regard".

His drooling over the skills and muscles of the Australian team is also more than a little embarrassing.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is the ultimate commentary-box poser. I don't mean in terms of his natty dress sense, I mean in terms of his smug self-satisfaction in his commentary. The content of what he's saying is actually relatively perceptive and thoughtful. But his operatic delivery and his oh-so affected language make him the ultimate ponce among pundits.

"Sixer!"
"HO HO Freddie!"
"By heaven!"

As I may have mentioned already on this thread, someone once summed it up brilliantly by saying that Nicholas is "laminated in a veneer of self-regard".

His drooling over the skills and muscles of the Australian team is also more than a little embarrassing.
Oho! Spot on and my sentiments exactly. Another terrible Nicholas one-word response to a good shot is the perennially annoying, "CRACKERJACK!!"

And if I was Andrew Symonds, I'd have a restraining order out on him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I agree. I’ve never really liked him (Henry Blofeld). Sure, as a kid, I thought that he was interesting and eccentric. But now he comes across as amateurish and tiresome.

Agree with all of that. And Langers' post that you were replying to.
Beyond that, I don't actually find him likeable (unlike, say, Brian Johnston) - he used to write some horribly carping stuff for the Independent years ago, and I went right off him then. Thought him rather two-faced, tbh. Nowadays, he strikes me as mostly interested in perpetuating his own self-importance, and I have no idea what he adds to TMS.

I think it was Steve Waugh who got it right a few years ago, after bumping into Blofeld at some function - something along the lines of "Who the **** is that ****?"
Sounded about right to me.

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Nowadays, he strikes me as mostly interested in perpetuating his own self-imporance
I do not think that he strives intentionally to sound like a toff; indeed, he made a quite startling admission in a Channel 4 interview five years ago: "Noh, old bean, I ne'ah listen to recordings of my ohwn commentaarrry: I have alwass struck myself as sounding rahthah like ah pompous prat!"