• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Commentators

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, at least you're starting to beleive me when I say Johnston is a tool.
Eh? I've never liked Johnston as a sideline comments man as that's when he tends to get biased - but he's more than adequate as a lead play-by-play commentator.

sideshowtim

Banned
I think poor old Tony Cozier just gets so frustrated having grown up watching the great WI sides, it's almost like he's suffering from manic depression seeing some of the things the current crop have done in recent years.
He seems pretty heartened by recent efforts though. Loving his frustration at the sight screen fiascos too.
And even if he's bad, Pommy makes up for it, imo.
Forget commentating for a second, Cozier has to be the worst master of ceremonies in the history of the game. Have you seen some of the presentations this series? Cringeworthy! And it's all because of Cozier...The presentation after the 3rd Test was one of the most hilariously awkward things to watch...It was like an episode of The Office.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
worsy commentators has to be jeffery boycotte, sunil gavasker, javid Maindad and afew others that i can't remember the name right now..
I cudd add heresay bogale, nauv joot sideu, sunjai manjoker. i no sum worser then them butt cant recoil.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Forget commentating for a second, Cozier has to be the worst master of ceremonies in the history of the game. Have you seen some of the presentations this series? Cringeworthy! And it's all because of Cozier...The presentation after the 3rd Test was one of the most hilariously awkward things to watch...It was like an episode of The Office.

Cozier's best moment in commentary was at Lords in 1984 when Milton Small took a couple of quick wickets in the second innings and he described it as "Wreaking havoc."

Langeveldt

Soutie
Blofeld is a true radio legend. No one who heard it has ever forgotten his commentary on the late 70's tour of Pakistan when Geoff Cope was bowling to Mudassar Nazar and he somehow managed to describe Geoff Capes bowling to Don Mosey.
As far as Reeve is concerned it's often hard to tell whether he's talking about cricket or the Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling Championship.
So he's essentially famous for being so bad

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think poor old Tony Cozier just gets so frustrated having grown up watching the great WI sides, it's almost like he's suffering from manic depression seeing some of the things the current crop have done in recent years.
He seems pretty heartened by recent efforts though. Loving his frustration at the sight screen fiascos too.
And even if he's bad, Pommy makes up for it, imo.
Pommy's fantastic.

Cozier needs to ease up on the elitism and stop misspeaking with authority.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So he's essentially famous for being so bad
I would certainly agree but those who are interested in the colour of the bus going past the Kirkstall Lane End that you can only see if you are sat on the bog at the back of the commentary position, and whether it is on time, might not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jeys, I've really never cared about the bus paraphenalia as long as old Henry can describe the cricket, which he emphatically can. Every bit as good a picture-painter as CMJ and Aggers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pougatch mainly does football, I think. Never a good idea to have a commentator do a different sport.

Still remember the time when Harsha Bhogle was studio hosting the Football World Cup here in 2006. He was waxing lyrical about Miroslav Klose's free kick goal and was comparing it to a swerving inswinger from Waqar Younis... :laugh:

The experts around him were bewildered, tstl. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
After watching the IPL coverage in India I'd have to say Kris Srikkanth is infinitely worse. Heard terrible reviews about Srinath and Sidhu as well.
I dont think Srikkanth is a commentator though. He just pops in lunch and post match analysis.

I agree he is a pain even there.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Jeys, I've really never cared about the bus paraphenalia as long as old Henry can describe the cricket, which he emphatically can. Every bit as good a picture-painter as CMJ and Aggers.
Tom Eaton, South Africa's as-yet-uncrowned writer laureate, put it best when, during the Proteas' last visit to your realm, he mused, "If only they knew, these red-eyed twitchy slaves to novelty, of the delights that await those who are willing to surrender to sleep, to realise that sport and shuteye can be combined in the most decadent of entertainments.

"Take for example BBC radio's Test Match Special, found in the murky middle regions of the South African FM dial. Those not yet fallen under its soporific spell might imagine they have stumbled into an AGM of the Royal Society for the Preservation of Cracking Watercress Sandwiches, an impression encouraged by Henry Blofeld, a commentator of such exaggerated eloquence and panache that all parodies are rendered dull by comparison. Blowers, Aggers, Bumble, the unfortunate lass known only as Shilpa who is sent to enquire after the state of Darren Gough's blisters, all combine in a murmuring spell quite impossible to resist. Nothing better illustrated the length and solidity of Graeme Smith's monumental effort at Edgbaston than drifting off during a mellifluous Jonathan Agnew spell of commentary and waking up two hours later to Blowers describing a seagull, with Smith still undefeated. Short of snoozing under a newspaper in the shade of an oak tree, sport simply cannot be any more soothing than this."

Langeveldt

Soutie
No he can't.. A good commentator paints a picture of what's going on whilst consistently getting player names/scores/details correct.

I'm afraid Blofeld falls well short, sure he is a cracking guy, who just needs to grab his pipe and slipper now I think

neville cardus

International Debutant
No he can't.. A good commentator paints a picture of what's going on whilst consistently getting player names/scores/details correct.
I'm afraid Blofeld falls well short, sure he is a cracking guy, who just needs to grab his pipe and slipper now I think
His Woosterish prate may take some getting used to, but I should think that a Jarpie, subjected as you are to the tortures of Rhino and Zol, would have a mite more sympathy. If that pair is good enough to have its repeated confusion of commentary with ape-apery ignored, then Blowers, for all his gaffes and errors, ought to be in no peril at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Eaton, South Africa's as-yet-uncrowned writer laureate, put it best when, during the Proteas' last visit to your realm, he mused, "If only they knew, these red-eyed twitchy slaves to novelty, of the delights that await those who are willing to surrender to sleep, to realise that sport and shuteye can be combined in the most decadent of entertainments.

"Take for example BBC radio's Test Match Special, found in the murky middle regions of the South African FM dial. Those not yet fallen under its soporific spell might imagine they have stumbled into an AGM of the Royal Society for the Preservation of Cracking Watercress Sandwiches, an impression encouraged by Henry Blofeld, a commentator of such exaggerated eloquence and panache that all parodies are rendered dull by comparison. Blowers, Aggers, Bumble, the unfortunate lass known only as Shilpa who is sent to enquire after the state of Darren Gough's blisters, all combine in a murmuring spell quite impossible to resist. Nothing better illustrated the length and solidity of Graeme Smith's monumental effort at Edgbaston than drifting off during a mellifluous Jonathan Agnew spell of commentary and waking up two hours later to Blowers describing a seagull, with Smith still undefeated. Short of snoozing under a newspaper in the shade of an oak tree, sport simply cannot be any more soothing than this."
Haha. :laugh:

Irony is that dear old Shilpa (Shilpa Patel, FTR) is actually more senior than any of the commentators - she's assistant-producer or something along those lines.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Meh, I can forgive the odd name mistake (can usually work it out myself) and the odd wrongly-given score (I'll find that out later) myself TBH. :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
His Woosterish prate may take some getting used to, but I should think that a Jarpie, subjected as you are to the tortures of Rhino and Zol, would have a mite more sympathy. If that pair is good enough to have its repeated confusion of commentary with ape-apery ignored, then Blowers, for all his gaffes and errors, ought to be in no peril at all.
Not saying commentary in SA is any better, as it most certainly isn't.. But in the TMS box he is outclassed by everyone except this hideous Pougatch character, who I know see is covering Wimbledon.. Lets hope he stays there for the SA series..

Precambrian

Banned
Comedy cousins Arun Lal and Rameez Raja. The former makes Ian Healy's words like manna. The combined act reminds of cheap clown artists and sometimes their gay act is just unbearable.

Arun Lal has mastered the art of repeating exactly what his fellow commentator tells albeit in different tense, and rigidly believes it a duty to comment on every single camera frame.

Good lord, gimme Healy or Sidhu anyday.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
As a kid, I absolutely loved Blowers and would definitely credit him with originally getting me hooked on TMS. Me and my brother used to love imitating him.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Not saying commentary in SA is any better, as it most certainly isn't.. But in the TMS box he is outclassed by everyone except this hideous Pougatch character, who I know see is covering Wimbledon.. Lets hope he stays there for the SA series..
We shall have to agree to disagree (unless, of course, in the spirit of online pugilism, you want to disagree to disagree). For roughly the same reasons as those so eloquently sketched by Eaton -- read him much? --, I would keep Blowers in the box forever.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
...I know he's not a commentator, but close enough.. can i just take this chance to say that Sky Sports analyst and former New Zealand bowler Simon Doull is.. a complete a***hole!

I dont like him, what with his attitude and fag jewellery...! He stroles around like 'he's the man' so what Doully!...