• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Flem274*

123/5
Black Caps (I didn't bother watching the 20 20), true to form, lost to England who's becoming actually, quite good at 20 20.

NZ will come right in the ODIs. How did Flynn go if anyone watched him?

Oram's injury will hopefully mean Southee in the lineup. I think we can live with one less batting all rounder. Styris is already a batting all rounder.

Just checked the bowling... HOW POOR is MILLS? Our senior bowler getting smacked. His confidence must be severely dented from tests.
Mills wil be right for ODIs, they're his niche. He's never been much of a death bowler so him getting carted in the 20/20 wasn't a surprise, he's never been a great 20/20 bowler.

In tests he's still a work in progress.

I do expect him to lead the pack in the ODIs though, if he performs poorly I'll get concerned.

Interesting to see the calls that Styris' time is numbered, I disagree. Before the WC he was god awful but he came right in spectacular fashion. He's our senior batsman so personally I'll show some faith. He'd be great to have next world cup.

Also Rich, Styris prefers ODIs to tests, is he a real cricket player? :p

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Someone who likes Twenty20 and doesn't like Tests more than Twenty20 isn't a cricket fan. Simple as. They're a Twenty20 fan. Gotta say I'd never noticed Edmunds likes ODIs more than Tests. If so I doubt it's by all that much. Anyone who likes ODIs and doesn't like Tests isn't a cricket fan either, they're a ODI fan.

To be a cricket fan, you have to like Tests (or at worst the domestic First-Class game) better than anything else - unless obviously you're someone who follows your own club more than anything else. Liking ODIs everso slightly more than Tests just about qualifies too I suppose, but it's still very surprising that anyone who posts and is taken seriously on CW does TBH.
Ok God, really glad thats clarified :blowup:

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Apart from taylor and McCullam NZ are a hopeless 20/20 batting side. The like of How, Fulton and Flynn will do much better in ODI's as they can work it round their natural way.

I HATE 20/20! it is killing cricket and I am concerned about the future of ODI's ( the only form of cricket New Zealand can play)

Flem274*

123/5
Apart from taylor and McCullam NZ are a hopeless 20/20 batting side. The like of How, Fulton and Flynn will do much better in ODI's as they can work it round their natural way.

I HATE 20/20! it is killing cricket and I am concerned about the future of ODI's ( the only form of cricket New Zealand can play)
Flynn has a domestic SR of something stupidly high like 90 I think. He can definitely force the pace.

I noticed Fulton at six in the order. What an unbelievably stupid place to put him.

Flem274*

123/5
I thought he had gone to the ICL because he felt angry with NZ cricket (john Bracewell)
A combination of his depressions potential to affect his game at the international level and the constant uncertainty of his place in the side were two big contributors I think. He wanted financial security so he could at least have one demon, a mortgage, out of the way.

Flem274*

123/5
Someone who likes Twenty20 and doesn't like Tests more than Twenty20 isn't a cricket fan. Simple as. They're a Twenty20 fan. Gotta say I'd never noticed Edmunds likes ODIs more than Tests. If so I doubt it's by all that much. Anyone who likes ODIs and doesn't like Tests isn't a cricket fan either, they're a ODI fan.

To be a cricket fan, you have to like Tests (or at worst the domestic First-Class game) better than anything else - unless obviously you're someone who follows your own club more than anything else. Liking ODIs everso slightly more than Tests just about qualifies too I suppose, but it's still very surprising that anyone who posts and is taken seriously on CW does TBH.
Richard, with all due respect, that is a load of utter crap. From my personal point of view, I learnt to love cricket during backyard battles with friends and family when I was quite young and I had no clue what a test match was, never mind an ODI or 20/20. In fact, for a while I liked ODIs alot more because my attention span at such a young age was extremely short. Does that mean I wasn't a real cricket fan?

No one can tell someone that they have to be such and such to be a real cricket fan. You generally find those people in a coffin "Sir Old Pratt, 35BC to 1540AD, RIP."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard, with all due respect, that is a load of utter crap. From my personal point of view, I learnt to love cricket during backyard battles with friends and family when I was quite young and I had no clue what a test match was, never mind an ODI or 20/20. In fact, for a while I liked ODIs alot more because my attention span at such a young age was extremely short. Does that mean I wasn't a real cricket fan?

No one can tell someone that they have to be such and such to be a real cricket fan. You generally find those people in a coffin "Sir Old Pratt, 35BC to 1540AD, RIP."
OK - where did I say it matters where Test-match fandom comes from? As long as you learn to like Tests in the long run, it's all the same.

But yes - if you never do learn to like Tests, you are not a cricket fan. And just because someone says "I like Twenty20 even though I never even take any notice of the First-Class game, so I'm a cricket fan" doesn't change that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I cant really see who appointed you as the person who determines who is a cricket fan or is not a cricket fan
Me, of course. I determine what I consider a cricket fan, and no-one else.

Are you seriously telling me that you consider someone a cricket fan if they don't like Tests? When near enough everyone on this forum, and countless thousands, hundreds of thousands, besides, recognises the simple fact that Tests are the pre-eminent form of the game?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
OK - where did I say it matters where Test-match fandom comes from? As long as you learn to like Tests in the long run, it's all the same.

But yes - if you never do learn to like Tests, you are not a cricket fan. And just because someone says "I like Twenty20 even though I never even take any notice of the First-Class game, so I'm a cricket fan" doesn't change that.
If you like The Beatles but don't like Mozart, you're not a music fan.

8-)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Me, of course. I determine what I consider a cricket fan, and no-one else.

Are you seriously telling me that you consider someone a cricket fan if they don't like Tests? When near enough everyone on this forum, and countless thousands, hundreds of thousands, besides, recognises the simple fact that Tests are the pre-eminent form of the game?
Test cricket didn't exist first though, did it? Cricket was first, then tests were invented. Tests are a format of cricket.

Just because someone likes a format over the other doesn't mean they're not a 'true' fan.