• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 Champions League confirmed

GGG

State Captain
No NZ teams? A bit disappointed but not surprised if it is run by the mafia, I mean BCCI.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Doesn't make it right though
Why not? Do not call me a fanatical BCCI supporter, but the IPL is the rival to the ICL and so why would the BCCI allow ICL players to participate in an event which contains IPL teams...

...if that made any sense.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doesn't make it right though
There's already much about the BCCI that is morally wrong. Countless amounts of stuff.

The best thing would have been if the BCCI had acted in a manner that meant they never needed to kill the ICL, while in the meantime allowing the ICL to damage team prospects for the gain of individuals.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How the hell is allowing (for example) Paul Nixon to play for Leicestershire in a Champions League helping the ICL in any way??

All they are doing by blocking these players is harming what could be a very good tournament.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
its been hurried through it should have been given an extra year. and a policy set up stating that no player can play for more than one 20/20 team at domestic level., therefore for example paul nixon could play for his ICL team but not his 20/20 team back in enfland but could play all other varitions of game at his county.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How the hell is allowing (for example) Paul Nixon to play for Leicestershire in a Champions League helping the ICL in any way??

All they are doing by blocking these players is harming what could be a very good tournament.
It legitimizes ICL by allowing their players to play in a 'BCCI-sponsored' tournament.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
its been hurried through it should have been given an extra year. and a policy set up stating that no player can play for more than one 20/20 team at domestic level., therefore for example paul nixon could play for his ICL team but not his 20/20 team back in enfland but could play all other varitions of game at his county.
That would kill off all the domestic Twenty20 around the world. All the top players would just choice the IPL for the extra money. Basically you will have Victoria 2nds playing Chennai in the Championship League.

There already an official rule that you have to play for your home domestic side over county or IPL teams. With regard to ICL only the ones that played in the last ICL will be banned. Nixon and co that played in the first series only can play.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
it may seem that way but the ipl already has a policy about the number int. they are allowed.. is 4 or 5. regardless thats the direction you have to go.. if chenni or who ever become the manchester united of 20/20 so what..

cricket really got to stop this pity allegiance thing .. and allow market forces to dictate the out come.. why should a player be punished if hes good enough he can decide where he wants to play.. you should see the allowances the NZRU has given Dan Carter to play in france.. the money is getting to big for them to stop all blacks wantig to play in europe..

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
it may seem that way but the ipl already has a policy about the number int. they are allowed.. is 4 or 5. regardless thats the direction you have to go.. if chenni or who ever become the manchester united of 20/20 so what..

cricket really got to stop this pity allegiance thing .. and allow market forces to dictate the out come.. why should a player be punished if hes good enough he can decide where he wants to play.. you should see the allowances the NZRU has given Dan Carter to play in france.. the money is getting to big for them to stop all blacks wantig to play in europe..
The Dan Carter situation is prime example of why you allow them to play short period in these said competitions and still come back and play in their home domestic comps. If it was a choice between one or the other, they would all choice the IPL. Also even though their is only 4 internationals per team. Chennai used 8 international players all season and the number is likely to increase next season, as club look for more options if some players fail, rather then having all their eggs on one basket.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
The Dan Carter situation is prime example of why you allow them to play short period in these said competitions and still come back and play in their home domestic comps. If it was a choice between one or the other, they would all choice the IPL. Also even though their is only 4 internationals per team. Chennai used 8 international players all season and the number is likely to increase next season, as club look for more options if some players fail, rather then having all their eggs on one basket.
dan carter will not be playing for his domestic team canterbury or his franchise team in the super 14 in 09 at all..

Flem274*

123/5
Quite glad we haven't been deemed good enough to have our teams allowed in yet many Indian domestic players simply suck. I enjoy the irony that the IPL will happily take our internationals. Hope the whole thing collapses. Really hate this club thing going through cricket atm.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Quite glad we haven't been deemed good enough to have our teams allowed in yet many Indian domestic players simply suck. I enjoy the irony that the IPL will happily take our internationals. Hope the whole thing collapses. Really hate this club thing going through cricket atm.
I think many domestic players from all the countries suck, when you put them vs. international players.

In any case, you're assuming New Zealand has been excluded because the quality of their cricket isn't good enough. It isn't. New Zealand does not generate enough revenue for it to be worth it.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I think many domestic players from all the countries suck, when you put them vs. international players.

In any case, you're assuming New Zealand has been excluded because the quality of their cricket isn't good enough. It isn't. New Zealand does not generate enough revenue for it to be worth it.
Doh. Thats what happens when you listen to radio stations.

The real reason is still annoying though. I do have a question for the ICC: With all the 20/20 comps, how are you going to run an international calendar?

20/20 may be fun but if NZ can get bored of constant rugby then the cricket world will probably get annoyed at constant 20/20.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Anyone know what the coverage for this tournament will be like?

Particularly interested in Australia's coverage.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone know what the coverage for this tournament will be like?

Particularly interested in Australia's coverage.
Channel Ryan 'I gunner then u' Campbell.

I don't think it has been decided yet, as their wasn't any confirmation of the location until now.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There already an official rule that you have to play for your home domestic side over county or IPL teams.
I saw Modi talking about this a couple of months ago and he said if there's a clash then the IPL team and the home team basically bid how much they want that player for the tournament, so if it's a key player for the IPL side then I doubt they'd be playing for their home team while at the same time they will still be generously compensated.