• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SS "Most overrated batsmen of all time: All of them"

Slifer

International Captain
that may be your opinion but there are a very great number of tracks where I would want ONLY those guys against these very batsmen... And I am not alone.
U seriously would want to have Murali and Warne bowling in tandem against Lara and SRT?? And its not my opinion, I ve seen both Murali and Warne utterly slaughtered by SRT and LAra many more times than the likes of MCgrath, Donald etc.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Considering how good (in the current generation) Lara and Sachin are against spin, I don't think it would be a good idea. Against both of them, you'd have a much better chance of getting their wicket if you were bowling Marshall and Ambrose, compared to Warne and Murali. I'd be astonished if you disagreed, considering both of their performances against spin, especially Sachin vs. Warne and Lara vs Murali. People were saying they are the best bowlers in history - I don't see how you could be best in history and be consistently dominated like that against the best players of your type of bowling.
So? Batsmen like Viv Richards would, conversely, maul McGrath and co. and would have more trouble with Murali/Warne.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So? Batsmen like Viv Richards would, conversely, maul McGrath and co. and would have more trouble with Murali/Warne.
Yeah Viv vs Marshall would have been something. I'd give several peoples' first-born children to see that.

Slifer

International Captain
I dont see where u get that from. I cant think of many (if any) ocasions where Viv mauled bowlers of the quality of Mcgrath.

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah Viv vs Marshall would have been something. I'd give several peoples' first-born children to see that.
they faced each other several times in WI domestic cricket. Also pretty sure they faced off at county level as well. Im pretty sure that, had they faced off at test level, Marshall would have come out on top more often than not.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I dont see where u get that from. I cant think of many (if any) ocasions where Viv mauled bowlers of the quality of Mcgrath.
Is that a serious contention?

Lillee, Imran, Hadlee, Snow...were not? Thomson, Botham, Willis and Dev at the top of my head to boot.

And of course, I'd much rather Bradman face either Warne/Murali than McGrath or Marshall. Bradman himself considers a spinner the best bowler ever.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Considering how good (in the current generation) Lara and Sachin are against spin, I don't think it would be a good idea. Against both of them, you'd have a much better chance of getting their wicket if you were bowling Marshall and Ambrose, compared to Warne and Murali. I'd be astonished if you disagreed, considering both of their performances against spin, especially Sachin vs. Warne and Lara vs Murali. People were saying they are the best bowlers in history - I don't see how you could be best in history and be consistently dominated like that against the best players of your type of bowling.
not really. A great spinner on a flat or spinning track under hot conditions is ALWAYS a much better option than a great fast bowler under the same conditions, no matter how good the batsman is against spin. And FYI, Sachin and Lara have mauled the McGraths of the world too, many a time. And although it is true that those two didn't really struggle against the 2 great spinners, I don't think they will do it everytime under tough conditions and I still think the chances of those 2 getting these 2 out is more than any of those fast bowlers, because these are great batsmen and if they get on a flat track under hot conditions against a fast bowling attack, it can only mean leather hunt for the fielders.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm, I would like to see Richards vs. McGrath or Marshall. I don't think it would be anywhere near as bad as how badly the spinners cop it many times.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'd back McGrath and Marshall to have the wood over Richards, certainly they are both in the top 5 fast bowlers of all time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not like Richards consistently struggled against spinners, nor that he never struggled against a single seamer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
relentless fast bowling wears out fast bowlers too, you know... Try grounding that battery against Bradman, Lara, Sachin and Sobers on a Chennai track in May. You wont have bowlers to bowl you overs by the 2nd day..... :p
I'm truly flabbergasted you think spinners would do any better, I really am.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bradman himself considers a spinner the best bowler ever.
In his day, it was perfectly conceivable, with uncovered wickets, for one to be so.

After covered wickets, hardly any were even particularly good. Only the very, very, very best were great.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It's not like Richards consistently struggled against spinners, nor that he never struggled against a single seamer.
Conversely, I don't think all spinners or the ones mentioned would fail all the time against Tendulkar/Lara.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
In his day, it was perfectly conceivable, with uncovered wickets, for one to be so.

After covered wickets, hardly any were even particularly good. Only the very, very, very best were great.
Only the very very best: i.e. Murali and Warne.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Conversely, I don't think all spinners or the ones mentioned would fail all the time against Tendulkar/Lara.
I'd back Tendulkar and Lara to do a far better job on those spinners than Richards would on the seamers, and that'd be the same even if I did think Richards was better than both Tendulkar and Lara (and I think both were superior to him).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They'd fail far far more often than the top quality seamers would. Especially considering that many people consider Warne to be the greatest spin bowler ever, and he was pretty bad a lot of the times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kumble as well, I'd include.
Nah, Kumble was several notches below Warne and Murali. Kumble for most of his career was totally dependant on pitch; even recently when he's been less so, conditions have still got the better of him plenty of times.

Kumble on a spin-receptive surface = deadly. Kumble on a non-turner = pretty innocuous.