• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For Goughy:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
They both bowl 140kph, I doubt there is much too wrong with their actions. Riaz doesn't jump too high though (not necessarily an issue) and his leg bends violently at delivery though.

Xuhaib

International Coach
They both bowl 140kph, I doubt there is much too wrong with their actions. Riaz doesn't jump too high though (not necessarily an issue) and his leg bends violently at delivery though.
Wahab looks a more finished article to me while Sohail I feel can still increase his pace if he can sort out his run-up.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They both bowl 140kph, I doubt there is much too wrong with their actions.
Just because you can bowl fast, it doesn't mean your action is good. Your action is responsible for other things, like accuracy, minimizing stress, etc. Some of those things you shouldn't change, some you should.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I know, hence the word 'much'. I'll give an analysis of my own when I finish my homework...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Here are my views on Sohail Khan, I'll do Riaz later:

Sohail Khan

He is a well built, strong lad and this accounts for a large proportion of the stability of his action. Whereas his arms have the potential to go all over the place, he remains well composed. He runs in at good pace for a man of his build and keeps a good form in the run up to remain in control of his body.

He gets very high in the jump, which is good for a strong person shouldering the ball down. He throws the front arm out, at the target, very well. He generates pace from the front leg by throwing it to square leg and bringing it back down, like Mohammad Sami - credit to Goughy for teaching me this information about the front leg, btw.

He is very round arm in the action and this is fine, because it is the sort of bowler he is. This could mean that he could generate good reverse swing, like Waqar Younis - but I cannot accurately predict that. He follows through with the head facing the ground and the arms followed through completely, much like James Anderson, Amjad Khan or Graham Onions and this probably gives him some pace. If he struggles with accuracy, he should perhaps not put the head into it as much - but as shown by Anderson, it is not an easy facet to change. Good explosion at the crease too and he gets nicely side on.

The only cons is that his front foot closes off his action a tad, ala Matthew Hoggard which gives him outswing but may prevent an inswinger and cost him a yard of pace. His front leg buckles at the crease too (like me), which costs him height and means that his weight is diluted into the ground (credit to Ian Pont for informing me of this facet of the action). His front arm falls ever so slightly too early in the action, which means that his bowling arm is too far through the action when he lands and he loses leverage. This is so minor though that it would only cost him 3kph at most. I remember reading a correlation between delivery stride length and leverage so it may be a possible solution.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Sohail Khan

He is a well built, strong lad and this accounts for a large proportion of the stability of his action. Whereas his arms have the potential to go all over the place, he remains well composed. He runs in at good pace for a man of his build and keeps a good form in the run up to remain in control of his body.

He gets very high in the jump, which is good for a strong person shouldering the ball down. He throws the front arm out, at the target, very well. He generates pace from the front leg by throwing it to square leg and bringing it back down, like Mohammad Sami - credit to Goughy for teaching me this information about the front leg, btw.

He is very round arm in the action and this is fine, because it is the sort of bowler he is. This could mean that he could generate good reverse swing, like Waqar Younis - but I cannot accurately predict that. He follows through with the head facing the ground and the arms followed through completely, much like James Anderson, Amjad Khan or Graham Onions and this probably gives him some pace. If he struggles with accuracy, he should perhaps not put the head into it as much - but as shown by Anderson
And me. :dry:
it is not an easy facet to chance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, so you did, didn't actually spot that typo upon my first post. :p

I've tried many times to change a head which is on-the-side, as demonstrated...

Xuhaib

International Coach

Sohail Khan

He is very round arm in the action and this is fine, because it is the sort of bowler he is. This could mean that he could generate good reverse swing, like Waqar Younis - but I cannot accurately predict that. He follows through with the head facing the ground and the arms followed through completely, much like James Anderson, Amjad Khan or Graham Onions and this probably gives him some pace. If he struggles with accuracy, he should perhaps not put the head into it as much - but as shown by Anderson, it is not an easy facet to change. Good explosion at the crease too and he gets nicely side on.

The only cons is that his front foot closes off his action a tad, ala Matthew Hoggard which gives him outswing but may prevent an inswinger and cost him a yard of pace. His front leg buckles at the crease too (like me), which costs him height and means that his weight is diluted into the ground (credit to Ian Pont for informing me of this facet of the action). His front arm falls ever so slightly too early in the action, which means that his bowling arm is too far through the action when he lands and he loses leverage. This is so minor though that it would only cost him 3kph at most. I remember reading a correlation between delivery stride length and leverage so it may be a possible solution.
Good analysis.

From what I have heard, he is suppose to be the best exponent of reverse swing in domestic cricket. With the new ball he tends to get a good shape away but as you pointed he has problems in getting it to inswing.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SOHAIL : Well built. Puts in everything. Consistently bowls on or outside of stump slightly short to good length. Fairly quick. So far so good.

No movement whatsoever. Every delivery like every other. Better batsmen would have scored off him much more freely since he could be driven on the rise if the batsmen were good enough with absolutely no movement.

Could get better and gain some movement in the air and/or off the wicket. If he doesn't he will go the Sami way.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
WAHAB RIAZ : Nothing great. Not too quick, no movement. Bangladeshi batsmen make him look better than he is.

Sohail has more potential

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good analysis.

From what I have heard, he is suppose to be the best exponent of reverse swing in domestic cricket. With the new ball he tends to get a good shape away but as you pointed he has problems in getting it to inswing.
There has perhaps only been two bowlers yet - at least, those of notable speed and accuracy - who can swing new and old ball in and out at will.

If he could do all four, he'd truly be something pretty remarkable.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
These are the videos that Pakpassion.net has compiled on two new Pakistani bowlers:Wahab Riaz and Sohail Khan.Both videos are quite extensive so have a good look at them and give your expert comments on both these new lads.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xNKiUu6sGo&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmd3FELK4wQ&fmt=18.

P.S Don't look at the speed guns they were dodgy throughout the series.
Sohail looks the goods to me - rapid, outswing, strong action, pretty reasonable runup

Manee gave a pretty good analysis actually but he looks a natural talent so I wouldnt complicate matters with too much technical analysis

The other guy looked a bit "flat" - needs to work on his run up with a view to achieving more explosiveness at crease