• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NBA 07-08 season thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sports Tonight (a weekend sports news program here in Australia) had a small report on Andrew Bogut on Saturday night, and from what they were reporting he is apparently in search of a new deal (Off contract?) and is looking set to become Australias highest paid active sportstar. Does anyone know if there is any talk of him wanting to be traded? The report sort of suggested that there were a number of teams interested in him...

duffer

well they are putting together an exceptional regular season run with this current 18* win streak...still seriously doubtful whether they can go far in the playoffs without yao...
I think the hard part of their schedule starts now though. Still plenty of time for them tor un out of steam. Same goes with the Warriors.

Clapo said:
Sports Tonight (a weekend sports news program here in Australia) had a small report on Andrew Bogut on Saturday night, and from what they were reporting he is apparently in search of a new deal (Off contract?) and is looking set to become Australias highest paid active sportstar. Does anyone know if there is any talk of him wanting to be traded? The report sort of suggested that there were a number of teams interested in him...
I hope he does ask for a trade. Getting away from Michael Redd would be the best thing in his career so far.

Mister Wright

The Bucks had planned to build a side around him. But, haven't attracted the players to the franchise. Would be disapointing to see him go, but he is developing into a very good player. Would rather see Redd traded than Bogut.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I think the hard part of their schedule starts now though. Still plenty of time for them tor un out of steam. Same goes with the Warriors.
i think both teams will get into the playoffs though...the nuggets will be the biggest loser if that happens...it's sad that a team with camby, anthony, iverson, martin, najera, smith, kleiza etc is in this position...maybe they will work on their defense after the regular season(camby and najera being honorable exceptions) and come back a better team...

duffer

i think both teams will get into the playoffs though...the nuggets will be the biggest loser if that happens...it's sad that a team with camby, anthony, iverson, martin, najera, smith, kleiza etc is in this position...maybe they will work on their defense after the regular season(camby and najera being honorable exceptions) and come back a better team...
As a Sixers fan, I've become a Nuggets fan by proxy since the trade and it's such a frustrating situation. They have the raw talent to be a contender but George Karl has ****ed them up so badly. I was hoping AI would get himself a ring before he retires but it doesn't look like it's happening. Sack George Karl please.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
As a Sixers fan, I've become a Nuggets fan by proxy since the trade and it's such a frustrating situation. They have the raw talent to be a contender but George Karl has ****ed them up so badly. I was hoping AI would get himself a ring before he retires but it doesn't look like it's happening. Sack George Karl please.
it is strange that karl being such a good friend of larry brown wouldn't imbibe some of the defense-oriented mentality of brown over time...especially when the approach has been shown to be so successful...they are making some half-hearted efforts this season to be better on defense but with the west being so deep this year, it just hasn't been enough...they might still make the top 8 with a late push but even if that happens, i don't see them worrying a lot of the real contenders over a 7 game playoff series...

duffer

Man, been a while since this thread was bumped, but the midweek return of AI to Philly really was awesome. The reception was the most unreal moment of the season for me and will be hard to top. I went digging and found The Answer's Top 10 plays for Philly , which made me realise how good he used to be back in the day, taking a team of 4 scrubs to the NBA Finals. Hope he comes back strong.

Also having a look at the schedules the West playoff spots are still very much up in the air.

Warriors (42-26) have a brutal schedule:
vs Lakers
@ Lakers
vs Portland
@ Denver
vs Dallas
@ Spurs
@ Dallas
@ Memphis
@ New Orleans
vs Sacramento
vs Denver
vs Clippers
@ Phoenix
vs Seattle

Nuggets (41-28) have it a bit easier:
@ Toronto
@ Memphis
vs Dallas
vs Warriors
@ Phoenix
vs Phoenix
vs Sacramento
@ Seattle
@ Clippers
@ Warriors
@ Utah
vs Houston
vs Memphis

The head to head Warriors-Nuggz games will be pivotal but there are plenty of banana skins for both teams and especially for Golden State in the run in.

The other potential team to free fall are Dallas. just 3.5 games ahead of Denver. After the Jason Kidd trade they've gone 0-7 against teams over .500 and their run in sees them fplay 10 out of 13 teams with winning records. I could just imagine Mark Cuban's face if it all blows up now after mortgaging the future (Devin Harris plus picks) to get Jason Kidd. :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can someone explain to me why the Rockets were paying 2.50 odd to win today? I got on, but was intrigued as to why they would be such underdogs. Good to see them win though.

duffer

Rockets coming off a 2 game loss and without Yao and Dikembe; going to one of the toughest places in the league to win at and playing a team whose style is polar opposties to theirs.

That's probably why the odds were so good, but on the flipside the Warriors play incosistent D and gave up 8 extra free throws so they pulled out the win. Ridiculously good game to watch though.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The other potential team to free fall are Dallas. just 3.5 games ahead of Denver. After the Jason Kidd trade they've gone 0-7 against teams over .500 and their run in sees them fplay 10 out of 13 teams with winning records. I could just imagine Mark Cuban's face if it all blows up now after mortgaging the future (Devin Harris plus picks) to get Jason Kidd. :laugh:
yeah looks like the suns have figured out how to play with shaq, but dallas is in trouble now...they are still a good team, but they don't really look like a contender right now and you are right, if they don't get it working pretty soon, as unlikely as it sounds they could lose out in the playoff race...

Mister Wright

After losing to the Heat, the Bucks somehow manage to defeat the Cavs. Must have been the return of Andrew Bogut, who btw had a great 2nd half.

duffer

After losing to the Heat, the Bucks somehow manage to defeat the Cavs. Must have been the return of Andrew Bogut, who btw had a great 2nd half.
Looking at the Box Scores in that game it looks like he fought a one man battle on the glass against Zigyy and Varejao. Very impressive, but you guys are really waiting for the draft.

I hope the Bucks can luck out and get a big time pick like Bayless or Gallinari but as it stands you could be drafting more raw potential guys like Eric Gordon or DeAndre Jordan. Would love to see Bogut in the playoffs sometime in our lifetime.

duffer

Now Dirk is out for 2 weeks. :laugh:

LA Clippers, Denver and Golden State this week
LA Clippers, Golden State, Lakers, and Phoenix next week
Seattle, Utah, Portland, and Seattle the following week (should come back one of those games).

This could get real nasty for Dallas now. Hope they've done their scouting because I can see them going 2-5 in the next 7 and into the lottery.

Mister Wright

Looking at the Box Scores in that game it looks like he fought a one man battle on the glass against Zigyy and Varejao. Very impressive, but you guys are really waiting for the draft.

I hope the Bucks can luck out and get a big time pick like Bayless or Gallinari but as it stands you could be drafting more raw potential guys like Eric Gordon or DeAndre Jordan. Would love to see Bogut in the playoffs sometime in our lifetime.
Made the playoffs in his first season when he was PF. Can't remember who the centre was that season, but the bucks wanted to build the team around Bogut so they gave him the starting centre spot the next season.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the mavs are going to struggle to make the playoffs, kidd has been totally ineffectual so far, especially against the good teams and with nowitzki out for a few weeks now, it is looking good for both golden state and denver to make up positions 7 and 8 in the west...

duffer

Anyone seen this : Bogut high fiveing himself :lol:

The Mavs have been in trouble for a long time now. But there are some key matches involving Warriors-Mavs-Nuggets coming up in the next week which should make things much clearer.

Johnners

When is the MVP named? I always thought it was announced the day before the playoffs began?

Read that the Bucks have a new GM & a new head coach, so It'll be interesting to see what he does in terms of roster changes for next season.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
When is the MVP named? I always thought it was announced the day before the playoffs began?

Read that the Bucks have a new GM & a new head coach, so It'll be interesting to see what he does in terms of roster changes for next season.
it's usually during the 1st round series...the only upset so far has been the 76ers beating detroit, although i am always happy to see the pistons lose, i am afraid they are still going to win the series...

duffer

Philly is one superstar trade away from being really really good. Great win on the road for us even with Iggy having a poor game, Dre locking down Chauncey was a sight though.

One superstar away from being an Eastern contender IMO.

Nuggets were terrible and will be swept by the Lakers. Shame, they should've tanked and gotten a lottery pick to help them more next season. It's just not going to happen for AI :(

Also, did anyone watch the Suns v Spurs? Holy crap that's the series to watch right now.

EDIT: and on the Bucks, as long as Redd and Mo are on that team jacking up 50 shots a night nothing can help them.

Last edited: