• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, that was "o" for awesome, as David Tua might say.

And I have to ask, as I did during the ODI series, where is Scaly Piscine at times like these? I'd just love to hear his biased ranting on exactly why New Zealand's victory was due to fluke/luck/intervention of Satan/bad vibes/solar eclipse/lunar eclipse/bad clams.
Barely posts these days.

Truth is, England didn't play poorly - at least, not today. New Zealand got them out, for the most part. There is shame only for those who cannot fathom the idea of bowlers (like Mills) bowling well. I'm not ashamed. Disappointed, yes. Ashamed, no.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Barely posts these days.

Truth is, England didn't play poorly - at least, not today. New Zealand got them out, for the most part. There is shame only for those who cannot fathom the idea of bowlers (like Mills) bowling well. I'm not ashamed. Disappointed, yes. Ashamed, no.
You're a better man than he, my friend :)

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
I woke up at 3 a.m. here (1 a.m. UK time) to see how things were going, was quite surprised of the scoreline :)
Good one, Black Caps, very nice match. Can't wait for the next one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Everyone on Sky going-on about fear of failure.

Now why TF d'you think that might be now? Couldn't possibly be because, oh, of all the bloody bagging you gave them for throwing their wickets away in Sri Lanka could it???????????????

Sheeysh. If those in the media care about England's success, they sure do a damn decent impression of not doing so, very, very often.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
A NZ test win, over quality opposition. Feeeeeeeels soooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

Everyone but Bell and Sinclair contributing really. Good all-round win.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, Bell clearly made a massive contribution - he inflicted the crucial early blow on his namesake. Just as Harmison did with Hayden and Ponting in 2005. That was a clear demonstration of New Zealand being up for the contest.

And Sinclair's deadly prowling of the mid-wicket area clearly confused so many batsmen into the deadly negative mindset that is the cause of all evil in The World.

chalky

International Debutant

Now why TF d'you think that might be now? Couldn't possibly be because, oh, of all the bloody bagging you gave them for throwing their wickets away in Sri Lanka could it???????????????

Sheeysh. If those in the media care about England's success, they sure do a damn decent impression of not doing so, very, very often.
There is no such thing as logical criticism from the old timers Botham Willis etc: If Engalnd win they get praised if they lose they get criticised regardless of the natiure of the performance or the opposition.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
He has to bat 7 & play in a 4 man attack - the question is can his body hold up to the work load?
If he retires from one day cricket and England rest him regularly then absolutely. But we all know England will just bowl him into the ground and get as much out of him as they can before his ankle gives way again. :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is no such thing as logical criticism from the old timers Botham Willis etc: If Engalnd win they get praised if they lose they get criticised regardless of the natiure of the performance or the opposition.
It's the familiar story: if strokeplay works, it's positive; if it doesn't work, it's reckless.

What annoys me about the media is the way they so often criticise without acknowledging the fact that their criticism does impact on the way the team moves forward.

TBH, it was far from restricted to the "old" timers either. Atherton wasn't so vociferous, but he certainly mentioned it more times than I'd like him to have.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

That's why they should only read the guardian and refuse to deal any media house owned by Murdoch.

Some how I want to say that's what you get for digging up half your test team from winter slumber land just days before a match. Anyway there is hope out there.He's young, blonde, and was the leading wicket taker for England in the ODI series in NZ.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That said, Bob Willis letting himself down in typical "in my day" style by criticising the likes of the size of coaching-staff\admin, the "mollycoddling" affect, etc. In addition to other things not so very long ago like the amount of "home \ family" time.

Fair points he makes at the same time about Hoggard and Harmison not having bowled enough. It's such a disappointing mix.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The point is to have a laugh and to enjoy the splendours of victory, you miserable old git :cool:
It's quite the opposite, really. Why not celebrate how good NZ were, rather than saying it's worth little because England were crap? Truth is, New Zealand played damn well, and they made England look pretty average.

If we come back to win the next 2 Tests, I have no intention whatsoever of throwing around "New Zealand were crap all along, it was just England undercooked" or whatever in the aftermath of victory. It's totally unconstructive, TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, and I can say I don't think it's terribly constructive. I thought you were interested in being more than simply boorish in victory, TBH. Maybe I was wrong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyway... think it's time for bed, really. Enjoy victory, Kiwi boys. Try and do it graciously. :dry:

Luckily, the next 2 Tests, this time, are before any clock-change in either country. So it's 9:30 again at Basin Reserve and McLean Park. And you're stuck with me again. :cool: