• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

chalky

International Debutant
Neither of Gough or White played in 1999 (White indeed had been out of the team for 3 years). And Cork, ridiculously really, wasn't picked, Giddins, Mullally, Tufnell and Such being favoured. Nor was Croft in the frame, having had 3 wicketless Tests the previous summer.

This mirrors 1999 fairly well: Sidebottom is the Caddick - outstanding amongst rubbish. Mullally was mostly better than Harmison I guess, but he didn't have the flash-in-the-pan games Harmison had.

However, in 1999 we had Gough, Cork, White and Croft all to come back. And they did. And they came back brilliantly. No such comfort here.
Yeah that was my point those bowlers were availabale even if not selected and are far superior to anything we have available as a result we are reduced to blooding 20 and 21 yer olds with little or no 1st class experience.

We just have to hope Flintoff can get fit

FTR Gough played in South Africa in late 1999.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah that was my point those bowlers were availabale even if not selected and are far superior to anything we have available as a result we are reduced to blooding 20 and 21 yer olds with little or no 1st class experience.

We just have to hope Flintoff can get fit
Forgot him... he and Hoggard remain a hope. And I suppose there's Tremlett.
FTR Gough played in South Africa in late 1999.
Yeah, was meaning summer-wise. By the time that series rolled around, we were no longer bottom of the Wisden Championship.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So go on - I only got 1 answer previously.

Hands-up who expected Kyle Mills to be the difference between victory and draw (as he basically was) this morn?

chalky

International Debutant
Forgot him... he and Hoggard remain a hope. And I suppose there's Tremlett.

Yeah, was meaning summer-wise. By the time that series rolled around, we were no longer bottom of the Wisden Championship.
No Sidebottom??

We moved up places without playing? we should try that strategy now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Awesome to see NZ win, I really hope they take out the series now.

England really need to grow a spine. This wicket was hardly tough to bat on.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Haha, that was "o" for awesome, as David Tua might say.

And I have to ask, as I did during the ODI series, where is Scaly Piscine at times like these? I'd just love to hear his biased ranting on exactly why New Zealand's victory was due to fluke/luck/intervention of Satan/bad vibes/solar eclipse/lunar eclipse/bad clams.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Geez, England are rubbish!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Boy, I just wanted to say that.

And I will love having a look at the English tabloids in the aftermath of this match.

Typically, though, the NZ media will find something to bitch about, that's how dire they are.

Great win, one with many contributions. Test cricket is here to stay!!!!

Chubb

International Regular
Man am I proud of my citizenship certificate right now! My housemates thought England were gonna win this easily and only I said NZ would still win after yesterday... I was in a club when I heard the score was 63-7 and from then, what a night!