• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League

biased indian

International Coach
What would an IPL team look like? Since it's official, we'd expect the best of current internationals in action. We see a few Aussies - possibly two per team - in these teams, and also players from SA, NZ and possibly Eng/WI. Will there be lpace for domestic players from India in these teams? We don't know, and even Indian reserve players will have a hard time breaking in- exactly the opposite of the ongoing ICL 50's, where just about anyone can make a team.
it doesn't work like that

other than the icon players who are assigned the teams any other player can play for nay team it depends upon the amount that team has bid for the player..

icon players are sachin(mumbai) ,ganguly(kolkata),dravid(bangalore).yuvraj(chandigarh) these players will get 20% more than the most expensive player in there team

every team can bid for any player but only one bid per player is allowed that means thay cannot alter the bid amount...

Each team can have maximum 8 international player and only 4 in the playing XI

Each team should have 4 under 22 in the team how many in the XI i dont know

and i thin k ther is a maximum limt for the amount each team can spend in total on players 5 million i think

howardj

International Coach
Ponting last year:

"I've never been a big fan of Twenty20 cricket,...the international calendar is packed these days and on top of that Twenty20 cricket won't do much for the players."

Amazing how thing$ change!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/336816.html

The turnaround of the players' unions has been swifter than that by the men in the middle. For years the Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) and the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA) have had one major platform, screaming about burnout and overload. The noise has been so loud and regular, it has become as numbing as shopping-centre background music.

In 2006 Tim May, the FICA chief executive, was worried players might turn to drugs to cope with the punishing schedules, but now he and his ACA counterpart, Paul Marsh, are fighting for a quick fix. They want a six-week window free of Tests and one-day internationals so their members can switch between board and IPL demands. Of course the idea wins support from the players and their managers
So true.

Its really hard to take a cricketer talking about burnout seriously anymore.

Its all well and good if they want to sign up to the IPL and earn a bucketload of cash. Who are we to say they shouldn't? But then don't come out in the media and have a whinge about how you guys travel so much and play so much cricket. You're living people's dreams. Cop it, or quit.

The way that the Australian players have jumped through hoops just to be able to sign for the IPL shows that the BCCI, and the money they have, really do run cricket. Not that we didn't know that already, but I find it hilarious that the Australian players had a cry about BCCI power during the Harbhajan controversy, and now they're on hands and knees begging for their contracts.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach

So true.

Its all well and good if they want to sign up to the IPL and earn a bucketload of cash. Who are we to say they shouldn't? But then don't come out in the media and have a whinge about how you guys travel so much and play so much cricket. You're living people's dreams. Cop it, or quit.

The way that the Australian players have jumped through hoops just to be able to sign for the IPL shows that the BCCI, and the money they have, really do run cricket. Not that we didn't know that already, but I find it hilarious that the Australian players had a cry about BCCI power during the Harbhajan controversy, and now they're on hands and knees begging for their contracts.
Nailed it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

So true.

Yup. No one minds when you're benefiting from that power.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
But it is not going to effect the Pointing, Lee Gilchrist etc. This ruling is going to effect the Noffke, Bollinger, Katich and co, who don't earn that much compared to the main players. Just means the clubs will get in those big name players and other guys that earn less wont get a chance to play in IPL and get some extra money.

This is basically CA just saying you might have money, but we got the players. They are just becoming as bad as BCCI in this power battle.

howardj

International Coach
But it is not going to effect the Pointing, Lee Gilchrist etc. This ruling is going to effect the Noffke, Bollinger, Katich and co, who don't earn that much compared to the main players. Just means the clubs will get in those big name players and other guys that earn less wont get a chance to play in IPL and get some extra money.

This is basically CA just saying you might have money, but we got the players. They are just becoming as bad as BCCI in this power battle.
I just think its CA standing up for their rights. Why should they roll over for domestic Twenty20 competition that hardly anyone in Australia will care for?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I just think its CA standing up for their rights. Why should they roll over for domestic Twenty20 competition that hardly anyone in Australia will care for?
What about the rights of domestic players in Australia to earn more money. It not about them rolling over for IPL, it about giving players the options they deserve. I think people forget that most domestic players might earn decent money, but a fair bit below your average football player in Australia.

Basically all CA is doing here is trying to show they still have some power in International Cricket, it got nothing to do with standing up for their rights. If they really cared about limiting each overseas team to two Australians, they police what happens in country cricket a lot more. It not unusal to have up to four Australians in one team.

If no one is Australia cares about this tournment then why do you think Channel Ten bought the rights to this comp, over domestic cricket rights in Australia.

howardj

International Coach
If no one is Australia cares about this tournment then why do you think Channel Ten bought the rights to this comp, over domestic cricket rights in Australia.
They've mis-judged the popularity in Australia of generic, cobbled together sides featuring Indian domestic players, many of whom most people would never had heard of.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
They've mis-judged the popularity in Australia of generic, cobbled together sides featuring Indian domestic players, many of whom most people would never had heard of.
There wont be too many Indian domestic players in the 1st XI that cricket fans haven't heard of. If you had a look a players signed already, most of the 1st XI sides will be made up of known International players. With the rest first team Indian players and top line fringe players. Most of your average Indian domestic cricket will struggle to make the squads as squad fillers. I doubt there will be too many Indian players in the squad that aren't currently in Australia or playing in representative Zonal competition. A lot of guys in Zonal comp won't even make the final squads.

howardj

International Coach
There wont be too many Indian domestic players in the 1st XI that cricket fans haven't heard of. If you had a look a players signed already, most of the 1st XI sides will be made up of known International players. With the rest first team Indian players and top line fringe players. Most of your average Indian domestic cricket will struggle to make the squads as squad fillers. I doubt there will be too many Indian players in the squad that aren't currently in Australia or playing in representative Zonal competition.
You don't support this IPL, do you? I'm death-riding it big time. Generic teams are just so meaningless (which Twenty20 is anyway). We saw how meaningless the World XI games were.