• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I feel it should also be noted that Panesar has made way for Tredwell in the ODI squad, Phil Mustard is still in the Test squad (and therefore is he perhaps number one?!) and that unsurprisingly Ravi Bopara has been disposed of from the Test boys.
I only just noticed that Mustard was still there. Prior has slipped behind two players, despite having what was IMO a good series. Madness. Mustard is absolutely rubbish at FC level as well. This is ridiculous.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd actually have more faith in him to score runs in test cricket as a batsman alone than Strauss at this stage.. well maybe not, but it's still harsh.
That raises a good point, actually; what has Strauss done to be recalled? They dropped him for poor form, he's not gone back and dominated yet they pick him again. Sends a confusing message.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
tbh although Prior may have been better given more of a chance I feel it is better to get rid of him now rather than risk another Geraint Jones saga, his batting tailed off towards the end of the Sri Lanka series, and he made some very expensive errors with the gloves, although whether Ambrose or Mustard will be able to make any sort of impact is slightly dubious.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
tbh although Prior may have been better given more of a chance I feel it is better to get rid of him now rather than risk another Geraint Jones saga, his batting tailed off towards the end of the Sri Lanka series, and he made some very expensive errors with the gloves, although whether Ambrose or Mustard will be able to make any sort of impact is slightly dubious.
19*

Pretty good series IMO, especially considering the pressure some of those knocks were under and the fact that it was his first away tour - which happened to be batting #7 against Murali in Sri Lanka.

His keeping seems quite similar to that of an early Geraint Jones but his batting looks far, far more accomplished and he has a longer and more productive first class career behind him.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I actually hope England lose this series now. For as long as I can remember the English disease of the 'grass is always greener', betting on the next guy and playing too many players has hurt us.

I have no strong feelings about Prior, but I assumed the selectors did when they picked him. Now 10 Tests later with a batting average of 40+ and signs he is improving his keeping and growing into the role they dump him. ****ing clueless

Why pick him in the first place and what did they want? Kallis with the bat and Bob Taylor with the gloves?

This type of behaviour shows no plan, no structure and and no regard or understanding about what makes a Test cricketer and how time is needed to develop within the environment.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm very suprised, would have thought Prior would get the NZ series and then they could decide. I wasn't sure about his selection in the first place, but I totally think they should have stuck with him for longer.

Also it says on the BBC that Mustard will probably play in the tests... how on earth is that possible?

And don't get me started on Strauss... what's the point of that? If he plays, Bell will have to move down to six, and if he doesn't what's the point of him touring? I think Shah has done more recently to justify having a crack at test cricket, much more than Strauss has since he was dropped. All he has done is cancel out my excitement at having Ramps to watch over breakfast!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
19*

Pretty good series IMO, especially considering the pressure some of those knocks were under and the fact that it was his first away tour - which happened to be batting #7 against Murali in Sri Lanka.

His keeping seems quite similar to that of an early Geraint Jones but his batting looks far, far more accomplished and he has a longer and more productive first class career behind him.
I really dont rate him as a batsman, and I always thought Geraint had the ability, just awful shot selection and couldnt handle the pressure, Prior for me plays waaay too much through the leg side, not attractive to watch, and just not very good, maybe i'm being harsh...but...hmmm, just dont rate him at akll.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm very suprised, would have thought Prior would get the NZ series and then they could decide. I wasn't sure about his selection in the first place, but I totally think they should have stuck with him for longer.

Also it says on the BBC that Mustard will probably play in the tests... how on earth is that possible?

And don't get me started on Strauss... what's the point of that? If he plays, Bell will have to move down to six, and if he doesn't what's the point of him touring? I think Shah has done more recently to justify having a crack at test cricket, much more than Strauss has since he was dropped. All he has done is cancel out my excitement at having Ramps to watch over breakfast!
I don't see Bell moving down to 6 as a bad thing, actually. He's looked far more assured when he's batted down previously. Regarding Shah, he is still in the squad - I'm going to assume Strauss has been selected as a squad member to be backup in case of injury, given Bopara has been unsurprisingly axed altogether. It does send a confusing message though and I'd be much more comfortable with Ramprakash there, or even faith in Bopara.

Mustard playing in the tests would be a disgraceful decision but it's not out of the realms of probably - he was actually in Sri Lanka as backup to Prior and he's still in the test squad, so they're probably correct in their assumptions.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
This is harking back to the bad old days when it seemed an English cap came in a brown paper bag or they are trying to cap every wicket keeper in England until he become's the "Chosen One". Isn't that 'keeper from Worcestershire supposed to be next by this selection policy?

That was the good thing about the England side around 2004 and 2005, it was that there was none of this chopping and changing and players were given a chance and there wasn't so many chances, injuries aside. Now it seems they are going against, I know injuries play a factor, but still.

I find it interesting, even though England have played way more Tests then Australia, that the Australians are still on 399 Test caps, and the next bloke likely to be picked will be Shaun Tait and he is already capped.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually hope England lose this series now. For as long as I can remember the English disease of the 'grass is always greener', betting on the next guy and playing too many players has hurt us.

I have no strong feelings about Prior, but I assumed the selectors did when they picked him. Now 10 Tests later with a batting average of 40+ and signs he is improving his keeping and growing into the role they dump him. ****ing clueless

Why pick him in the first place and what did they want? Kallis with the bat and Bob Taylor with the gloves?

This type of behaviour shows no plan, no structure and and no regard or understanding about what makes a Test cricketer and how time is needed to develop within the environment.
Something else that hasn't been mentioned much is the Chris Tremlett situation, which is quite similar to this except much worse. How on earth did Stuart Broad overtake him in the pecking order after what he did against India?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm going to assume Strauss has been selected as a squad member to be backup in case of injury
I'd be suprised... and if that's the case then it seems a pretty daft decision

Mustard playing in the tests would be a disgraceful decision but it's not out of the realms of possibility - he was actually in Sri Lanka as backup to Prior and he's still in the test squad, so they're probably correct in their assumptions.
So much for picking players on their domestic results then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty much agree with Kev most on this issue. I honestly have never been convinced about Prior, but to drop him now seems odd. Picking Mustard made little sense ITFP (though Graveney just stated that the idea behind it was that Mustard had been in Sri Lanka, and would have had some idea of the conditions, which makes a degree of sense) and it's something of a shame he's still apparently ahead of James Foster. I'd personally have picked Foster if I had to pick someone instead of Prior.

Ambrose is a fine wicketkeeper and a fine batsman (though just hearing him speak with his Aussie accent always makes me laugh) and I'm fairly confident he's got a decent chance of doing well.

Not sad Bopara's been dropped at all, nor will I be if Vaughan goes back to three, but poor Owais Shah. I'm happy enough at his omission because there's more middle-order players than can be fitted in, but when Bopara gets picked ahead of him it's just terribly unfortunate.

James Tredwell... WTF? Worse spinner than Tim Bresnan is seamer. Shocking selection, but really nothing new. We've seen nothing bowlers picked in ODIs for years and years now.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Something else that hasn't been mentioned much is the Chris Tremlett situation, which is quite similar to this except much worse. How on earth did Stuart Broad overtake him in the pecking order after what he did against India?
Because he is 'the next big thing' TM 8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Did not see this coming. Yeah, Prior's iffy with the gloves at times, but that was known when he was selected and he has at least on occasions resembled a bona fide test 7. Dropped him now is utter madness.

The utter lack of an overall philosophy concerning our selections that really irks me; we're selecting on promise and suddenly the 68 year-old Udal tours India & Pakistan, now we've (presumably) gone for a better keeper, but retain the services of Mustard who's far from Bob Taylor himself, to put it politely.

:huh: indeed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ambrose is a more skilled batsman than Prior IMO, and beyond question a better wicketkeeper. I very much hope he'll make a good Test (and ODI for that matter) wicketkeeper-batsman. What irks me is that he's been picked ahead of Foster - Foster has been performing for far longer than Ambrose. Ambrose started his career superbly back in 2001, but until 2007 he'd done nothing. Maybe now he might start living-up to his potential. But there's no way he should have been picked on 1 good season, which is all he's had so far. He might go back to underachieving after 2007.

Craig

World Traveller
Ambrose is a more skilled batsman than Prior IMO, and beyond question a better wicketkeeper. I very much hope he'll make a good Test (and ODI for that matter) wicketkeeper-batsman. What irks me is that he's been picked ahead of Foster - Foster has been performing for far longer than Ambrose. Ambrose started his career superbly back in 2001, but until 2007 he'd done nothing. Maybe now he might start living-up to his potential. But there's no way he should have been picked on 1 good season, which is all he's had so far. He might go back to underachieving after 2007.
And dropped again. The cycle continues.

SS has a avatar on average Indian players, maybe somebody should do the same for English cricketers?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I CBA with the PowerPoint stuff - if I give Dasa a list of photos I'm sure he'd do it for me, though, and then I'd seriously consider it.