• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Motson and EXD have been stated to be off-limits - haven't you noticed they've not been seen for a while?

And no, Perm and Fiery will never, ever come close to hating each other like I hate that-'un.
Don't tell me what I can and can't do :p

Perm

Until then, if you're not enjoying being here for whatever reason Perm, there's no need to **** on the place and it's sports teams
I'm telling it how I see it, the fact you've gone overboard by saying I "**** on the place and it's sports teams" I will let slip, because I do actually enjoy New Zealand and being a Kiwi. I do support New Zealand teams, perhaps not as fervently as you, but I don't see why I should automatically hate Australia just because of my heritage.

Fiery

Banned
I'm telling it how I see it, the fact you've gone overboard by saying I "**** on the place and it's sports teams" I will let slip, because I do actually enjoy New Zealand and being a Kiwi. I do support New Zealand teams, perhaps not as fervently as you, but I don't see why I should automatically hate Australia just because of my heritage.
I'm out

HeathDavisSpeed

Can you not see that by saying that you'd like New Zealand to lose at anything might make other Kiwis (whether nationalistic or not) upset? I don't hate the Ockers, I don't even necessarily want them to lose at anything in particular, but to want a country other than yours to win something, well that's just crazy! I can't imagine there are many Aussies out there who hope that Australia would lose!! Its one thing to wish for a tight, highly contested game (in which your team eventually prevails) but a completely different thing to actively want your team to lose. Can you not even appreciate how guys who've grown up following NZ through the many LOWS might actually want to see NZ win when they're at a HIGH for once? This is why (I presume) Fiery calls your attitude "******** on the place and its sports teams"

You're out of what? Just this thread I hope??

Fiery

Banned
Can you not see that by saying that you'd like New Zealand to lose at anything might make other Kiwis (whether nationalistic or not) upset? I don't hate the Ockers, I don't even necessarily want them to lose at anything in particular, but to want a country other than yours to win something, well that's just crazy! I can't imagine there are many Aussies out there who hope that Australia would lose!! Its one thing to wish for a tight, highly contested game (in which your team eventually prevails) but a completely different thing to actively want your team to lose. Can you not even appreciate how guys who've grown up following NZ through the many LOWS might actually want to see NZ win when they're at a HIGH for once? This is why (I presume) Fiery calls your attitude "******** on the place and its sports teams"

You're out of what? Just this thread I hope??
Pretty much what I was thinking but couldn't be assed saying it as I've expressed similar sentiments before and am probably starting to sound like a stuck record...plus I seem to be arguing with Perm a lot recently which is probably boring everyone to death....hence the "I'm out"...but well said Heath

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I disagree with a lot of that. I am like Perm in one way (and only one, I imagine) in that I'm more bothered about the general welfare of cricket than unreserved success for my team. If England have to lose a bit to get some good cricket, so be it. Of course, whenever England play I want them to win, or at least certainly not to lose (well, in Test-matches, at least; in ODIs it's more about building a team for a WC and as I've said many times I couldn't care less how we fare in Twenty20 Ints, in fact if anything I'd prefer we lose so as it might curb the enthusiasm to play the format internationally).

And yes, that attitude has wound-up the more partisan England spectators at the various forums I've frequented. Nonetheless, I know for a fact that there are indeed Australians (Kyle [Mister Wright] for one) who are of a similar mindset. Not identical, but similar. And those from other countries, too, of course. Such people are evident on these forums: Rob Cribb (Prince EWS), myself, tec (tooextracool if you don't know that abbreviation, and he hasn't been around much since you joined so I'd forgive that), Perm, and one or two others.

And while I don't remember a time when England lost pretty much anything and everything (1986-1989) I do remember one (1992-1997) when we didn't win that much. So that factor has no influence.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
****ing ******** :@

Continuity is the key to everything. Dropping Prior now makes no sense.

As they say about the Aussies, its harder to get dropped from the side than to get in and those guys know a thing or 2 about winning.

The annoying thing now is that we have no idea who will be keeper in 2 years time.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I feel it should also be noted that Panesar has made way for Tredwell in the ODI squad, Phil Mustard is still in the Test squad (and therefore is he perhaps number one?!) and that unsurprisingly Ravi Bopara has been disposed of from the Test boys.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Not too sure what to read about that. I thought Prior had a good series against SL, also, and this is probably just me, but I think its a bit late to be picking someone who has only played CC, whats it been now, 2 or 3 months since CC has finished? Cricinfo were saying that Foster might be called up.

As for Tredwell, this seasons Yardy, Wells, Irani etc etc...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harsh on Prior. Sure he shelled a couple but he generally kept well and batted relatively well I thought. Certainly I doubt there's a better wicket keeper/batsman in the country. Weird.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dropping Prior is ridiculously harsh at this stage. He was just starting to establish himself in the side - at least as a test batsman who takes the gloves. He's still averaging over 40 with the bat and batted very well in Sri Lanka.. his keeping was inconsistent (I actually thought he was good in two out of the three tests) but if he was ever picked as a keeper first and a batsman second, it was a dire selection anyway, and I think it was competent enough for one averaging 40 with the bat.

I'd actually have more faith in him to score runs in test cricket as a batsman alone than Strauss at this stage.. well maybe not, but it's still harsh.