• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Pakistan in India

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Btw, I find it hilarious that just like at the Oval, India are being criticised for not declaring early enough (and basically going for the win) in a test they didn't need to win.

I'll tell you what, as an Indian fan if at the end of every series India is being criticised for not attempting to win a series 2-0, but rather only winning it 1-0, I'll be a happy Indian cricket fan.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Btw, I find it hilarious that just like at the Oval, India are being criticised for not declaring early enough (and basically going for the win) in a test they didn't need to win.

I'll tell you what, as an Indian fan if at the end of every series India is being criticised for not attempting to win a series 2-0, but rather only winning it 1-0, I'll be a happy Indian cricket fan.
AWTA. At the end of the day it's these series that we're winning that matters. It's a bonus if we win them 2-0 - 3-0, but as long as we win it, I am happy.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
No no no no no! I meant Sehwag should replace Karthik in ODIs, not Tests of course.

My dream come true for this series would be Sreesanth and Sachin (two most regularly bashed Indian players on PakPassion) destroying Pakistan :p.

My prediction:

ODIs: 3-2 India
Tests: 1-0 India
By the way, I am so gun. Since the world cup, I have been as gun as gun gets. :cool:

haroon510

International 12th Man
Yeah, but ganguly's batting saved the test matches, as well as his bowling partially won the first test (remember delhi test, 4th day morning) for india. Where as Misbah's stonewalling just help to draw the match for pakistan.
Also you must be kidding, if you say india had 4-5 bowlers in last test.They just had 1 and half main bowler. Kumble and the ineffective harbhajan singh.
I think Ganguly deserved the man of the match and series.
i think u r totaly under estimating Zaheer khan who won test series for india in England.. Harbhajan singh who took five wickets on the first test.and u r saying he took those wickets because he was ineffective.. .like u said Ganguly bowled well as well.. so Misbah faced zaheer, patel, brilliant Kumble, Harbhajan singh, Ganguly, in the first and second test while Pathan, ishant sharma, Kumble, singh, Gunguly.. in the third test.. still better than facing a combination of Kaneria, sohail, sami, unfit shoaib, or unfit shoaib, sami, yasir arafat and Kaneria..

all i wanted to say was that Ganguly didn't face much of Shoaib akhter in those innings that he made runs.. he made most of those runs against attack of Sami and Kaneria who were tired despite how crappy they bowle recently.. also man of the series should be an award for the player who play hard to save his team from losing.. on that case Misbah ul haq deserved it considering that he stood like a wall between india and win in all the matches of the test series..

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Yeh look Ganguly deserved to be both MOTM and MOTS imo, not being biased :ph34r: but anyway he also had couple of wickets to add to that, he played few terrific knocks. Yes i know Misbah also played in quite a few good onez, but in the end of the day Ganguly was extrodinary in the last two matches. Definitely deserved it IMO.

If anyone disagress gagfc.

pup11

International Coach
Yeh look Ganguly deserved to be both MOTM and MOTS imo, not being biased :ph34r: but anyway he also had couple of wickets to add to that, he played few terrific knocks. Yes i know Misbah also played in quite a few good onez, but in the end of the day Ganguly was extrodinary in the last two matches. Definitely deserved it IMO.

If anyone disagress gagfc.
Ganguly deserves every award he gets he has played some awesome cricket since his comeback and he looks like a totally different player amazing stuff from him.:thumbsup:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sure, but its the wrong one.
Another person with the WRONG point of view - Sunil gavaskar

India should have declared the moment Ganguly got out

But for a late declaration, India would have pulled off an astonishing win over Pakistan and ended the series 2-0 instead of 1-0. It would have been a great way to take on the Aussies with the super confidence of such a win under their belt. Why the declaration did not come earlier is a mystery, unless allowing Dinesh Karthik, a popular member of the team, to get to a half-century was a way of ensuring that he gets on the plane to Australia.

We keep hearing that the days when Indians played for individual glory and records is long gone, but is that really so? On such a pitch there was no way Pakistan was going to be able to get 250 even if they went hammer and tongs at the bowling and 374 was simply out of the question but by batting on for so long, India did not give themselves enough overs to get Pakistan out.

This is the difference between Australia and other teams, where they are simply not satisfied with a 1-0 win margin but are looking to win by as huge a margin as possible. They would have fancied their chances of getting any team out on a pitch like this and would have given themselves every chance of winning. In India there is a tendency to sit on laurels and be satisfied, not look for more glory and it was this attitude that was supposed to have changed by the new generation, but going by the last two Test series, it appears that we are still satisfied with the 1-0 win than strive for a bigger win.

This attitude comes from our first class cricket where teams are satisfied with the first innings lead and don't try for an outright win either through complacency or sheer laziness. The thinking is why go out and field in the hot sun again when one can sit back and bat for another day after having taken the lead. That adventurousness which is the hallmark of the new generation was missing. In the past, India hardly won any games. So it was understandable that they were happy to avoid defeat. But this Pakistan side has to be the weakest to have come to India for a long, long time and a 2-0 margin would have been an apt result.

The interest in the morning session's play was whether Sourav Ganguly would be able to get to a century and join the list of those who have got a double-century and a century in the same Test. That wasn't to be though he came agonisingly close. That seemed the right time to call a halt to the innings and give themselves a lot more overs than they eventually got and if they aren't ruing it but settling for the 1-0 win, then it is going to be a real battle in Australia, for they will be much tougher opponents than the Pakistanis and there won't be such pitches to help them.

Professional Management Group

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Did sun rise in the west today ? SJS finally agrees with Sunny Gavskar..or wait it is Sunny Gavaskar that agrees with him, we must all agree with SJS else he is going to post every article from every newspaper that supports his opinion.

Anyways, I will not call it a wrong PoV but just a different PoV. Yes India could have declared sooner but If the captain wanted to first secure the series, then yeah why not, I dont see it as big a deal as some folks are trying to make . Oh and even if Kumble had declared at lunch, there was no gaurantee that India were going to win the test. Those who are saying otherwise are basically looking at from only one angle.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Is Lawson out as Pakistan coach ? Gulf news is reporting that Miandad is going to replace Lawson as coach.

http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Cricket/10174337.html

Miandad likely to replace Lawson as Pakistan coach
By K.R. Nayar, Staff Reporter
Published: December 12, 2007, 23:32

Bangalore: Pakistan coach Geoff Lawson is likely to lose his job on return to Pakistan. According to information, Javed Miandad may be recalled to coach Pakistan again.

It is being reported that quite a few senior cricketers have expressed their dislike at Lawson's style of functioning. Former Pakistan captain Aamir Sohail, who is here as a commentator, said: "Miandad is the right man to coach Pakistan. It will ease the pressure on captain Shoaib Malek."

One of the problems lies in the fact that many Pakistan players are unable to properly communicate with Lawson. As an Australian, Lawson's accent is not understood by them.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Is Lawson out as Pakistan coach ? Gulf news is reporting that Miandad is going to replace Lawson as coach.

http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Cricket/10174337.html

Miandad likely to replace Lawson as Pakistan coach
By K.R. Nayar, Staff Reporter
Published: December 12, 2007, 23:32

Bangalore: Pakistan coach Geoff Lawson is likely to lose his job on return to Pakistan. According to information, Javed Miandad may be recalled to coach Pakistan again.

It is being reported that quite a few senior cricketers have expressed their dislike at Lawson's style of functioning. Former Pakistan captain Aamir Sohail, who is here as a commentator, said: "Miandad is the right man to coach Pakistan. It will ease the pressure on captain Shoaib Malek."

One of the problems lies in the fact that many Pakistan players are unable to properly communicate with Lawson. As an Australian, Lawson's accent is not understood by them.
Wow, first I'm hearing of this. If true, it would be a massive overreaction IMO. You have to give a new coach some time to prove himself. PCB is already a laughingstock of the cricket world. If they fire Lawson so soon, they will just cement that reputation. Furthermore, no talented coach would even consider such an unstable and unreasonable job in the future. Hope this report is false.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Furthermore, no talented coach would even consider such an unstable and unreasonable job in the future. Hope this report is false.
I thought that is already the case with both India and Pak. Lawson doesn't seem to be a talented coach, he is just happy to be there, same case with Gary Kirsten.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Kumble's decision certainly cost them a win. If people think Karthick is now going to be making 100s because of the time he spent out in the middle on a flat, against a depleted attack, then dream on:laugh: .

Kumble should have declared when Pak needed around 360 with like 60 overs left, even Aus with the best batting line-up would not have gone for the win.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Kumble's decision certainly cost them a win. If people think Karthick is now going to be making 100s because of the time he spent out in the middle on a flat, against a depleted attack, then dream on:laugh: .

Kumble should have declared when Pak needed around 360 with like 60 overs left, even Aus with the best batting line-up would not have gone for the win.
360 off 60 overs is still possible. Imagine if faisul iqbal and misbah carried on playing the way they were....pakistan could have easily been in with a chance of victory. when you are 1-0 up in a test series...there is no way in hell you want to give the opposition a sniff. If kumble had declared the way you are suggesting and then pakistan had won....everyone would have been critisising his captaincy....either way...we are talking in hindsight. india did not need to win so why risk it? Why would we want pakistan to even have a sniff?? Your suggestion is what pakistan were hoping for....its not ideal for india.

Nishant

International 12th Man
For God sake ,it was his first series as the captain that too against the archrivals .When he was almost at the moment of creating a history ,it is natural that he became extra cautious .Can't blame him.
exactly.....credit kumble for a series victory...to suggest that he was not being a good captain is just plain idiotic!