• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Surely Agarkar at the Adelaide Oval could be worth a shot.

I reckon Agarkar will play, he always plays against Australia..

pup11

International Coach
Indian sixteen to be announced today

Jaffer
Dravid
Sachin
Ganguly
Laxman
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Zaheer
RP Singh
Munaf
Kumble
Harbhajan
Pathan

The 13 above are automatic choices....

the rest 3 will be from the following

Opener & second wicket keeper
Gambir,Chopra,Karthick,parthiv

Fifth fast bowler
VRV Singh, Pankaj Singh, Ishant Sharma,Ajit Agarkar

i feel it will be Chopra,Karthick,Ishant Sharma
India would be mad to select somebody like Gambhir for a tour like Australia he would simply get ****ed there, Chopra is a way better option then Gambhir.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I would have chosen

Openers
  1. Jaffer
  2. Sehwag
  3. Karthik or Gambhir

Middle order
  1. Dravid
  2. Tendulkar
  3. Ganguly
  4. Laxman
  5. Yuvraj

Keeper
  1. Dhoni

Bowlers
  1. Zaheer
  2. RP Singh
  3. Ishant Sharma
  4. Irfan Pathan
  5. Kumble
  6. Harbhajan
  7. Munaf/Karthik/Agarkar

If I had a choice I would chose the third spinner and take only four pacers. I would also take both Gambhir and Karthik in a 17 member squad - the first as third opener and the second as stand by keeper. BCCI can afford to do that and cover all bases.

adharcric

International Coach
Looks like Gambhir and Kartik have missed out here. Fantastic news. Let's just hope Chopra gets the nod now.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
India's Test squad for Australia

Wasim Jaffer, Virender Sehwag, Dinesh Karthik, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Anil Kumble (capt), Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh, Irfan Pathan, Ishant Sharma, Pankaj Singh.

Courtesy - CI

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India's Test squad for Australia

Wasim Jaffer, Virender Sehwag, Dinesh Karthik, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Anil Kumble (capt), Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh, Irfan Pathan, Ishant Sharma, Pankaj Singh.

Courtesy - CI
Pankaj Singh? No Chopra? And Sehwag made it into the smaller squad after not being named in the larger squad?

Indian selectors are crazy. And stupid. Mostly stupid.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who on Earth's Pankaj Singh?

And I really hope for Ishant Sharma's sake he doesn't play a Test.

pup11

International Coach

Pankaj singh (TBH its the first time i am hearing about this bloke) he's probably going to be India's waterboy on this tour, anyways Sehwag somehow made it to the squad and that's what really matters in the end.
Btw i agree with you Rich Sharma shouldn't play even in a single test because Aussies would beat the hell out of his bowling which could really shatter his confidence.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I could be wrong but I believe he is a 6ft 6 pace bowler who operates in the 130-135kph range. He has been most impressive this season, spearheading the pace attack in the two India A games against Kenya and taking the second most FC wickets this season in the Ranji Trophy Super League.

A mere example of his pedigree is just in his last match against the strong Mumbai batting line up. In the first innings, he took 5 for 72 off 23 and in the second, 1 for 36 off 13.

Although Indian domestic performances cannot normally be taken at face value, the pitches in India are slow and unresponsive so a performance from a fast bowler can be taken at face value.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Pankaj singh (TBH its the first time i am hearing about this bloke) he's probably going to be India's waterboy on this tour
Don't be so hasty, he has been matching Ishant Sharma in FC cricket and unlike Sharma does not have a no ball problem.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Me too, I see him as far too raw for Test cricket and he may end up getting the infamous 'no ball' chants from the Aussies after a little while.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Where did Sehwag come from? :laugh:

Decent side, but again, sending out the wrong message abt dropped players and domestic form... When Ganguly was selected for the RSA tour, he was doing ok, but nothing great and a number of others were performing much better than him... And he was repeatedly getting out for cheap scores in between a couple of hundreds and a fifty or so. He did do great in his comeback, so the ends sort of justified the means then but now Sehwag has been selected when his domestic form (as a middle order bat, btw) has been woeful...... ITSTL....

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow as much as I was impressed by Pankaj Singh in the A team tours I didn't think he'd make the Test squad so soon. Still he will find it hard to force his way into the playing XI if India have a full strength bowling attack to choose from.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow as much as I was impressed by Pankaj Singh in the A team tours I didn't think he'd make the Test squad so soon.
Two (kinda three) questions:

Why is that - Is he still a bit raw?

What sort of pace does he operate at?

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Iam happy that sehwag got in test squad. But iam unhappy that chopra and "The great AJIT AGARKAR" was not selected.
AGARKAR is one of the fittest indian bowlers , with lots of luck and its a shame to him and selectors that he did not get selected.Chances are Ishant sharma will be royally screwed by the aussies.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Disappointed on 2 fronts with the Indian team selection. Firstly, our 2 reserve fast bowlers seriously lack in experience - Ishant Sharma and Pankaj Singh. If one of the 3 fast bowlers get injured, we might have to play one of Sharma and Singh in a test in Australia. Agh. Munaf Patel would have been a better option IMO. He may be like Akhtar in that he finds it difficult to play all tests in a series but if we used him properly, he could have been a good reserve option at least. Inzamam talked in an interview how he used to save Akhtar for crucial matches and not play him every time. Perhaps we need to do some thing similar with Munaf. Pankaj Singh is a tall fast bowler who has taken 5 wickets v Mumbai recently but really, do we want to blood or try some one like him on a tough tour like Australia.

If I was Chopra, I would be pissed. This guy has been making runs after runs after runs and yet, he can't get into the Indian test team. Sehwag hasn't done any thing of note recently to deserve a place in the test side right now. He doesn't fill me with confidence. Given that he is Sehwag and he might deliver some of his old magic, it is okay if the selectors feel that they should select him. However, they should have then gone for a reserve opener in the form of Chopra (or Uthappa). They should have been brave enough and dropped one of Karthik and Dhoni from the team or taken a fast bowler less. If Sehwag doesn't work, we would have the real possibility of Karthik opening again and that doesn't fill me with any confidence. Just don't open with Dravid - I am hearing every one talk of the real possibility of Dravid opening from honestbharani to Chetan Sharma. Even trying out Yuvraj to open (though I am not adverse to the move of Yuvraj opening as I have said several times) for the first time is not an ideal scenario in a tour like Australia but that is what happens (agh again) when you do not choose some one like Chopra in the side.

Over all, this team might work if people are firing. The weakness with the squad, however, is that the bench options - a strength of India over the past 12 months, is not solid enough. So if the first XI or the 12th option doesn't gel, we would have to look at carrying a player like Ishant Sharma or Singh in the XI (Forget Singh, even Ishant Sharma, while he might be a decent option for the future but really, do we want him to play in a first XI in a test in Australia) and that is inviting trouble as Sri Lanka found out by playing Fernando in the test XI.

Last edited: