• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 25 cricketers of Shane Warne's Career - as decided by CW

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Late surge on behalf of Warne here. Putting Murali and Lara in place

No place for Murali in top ten ??
:-O :-O :-O

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
3 consicutive 2 for sachin also should have helped him
Five top spots for Murali, four for McGrath and three for Warne and yet it is Lara who is well clear of the field at this stage. I doubt if others can catch up with him now.

Warne and Murali tied at fourth place.

Lara and Tendulkarare the only two who are nominated by everyone.

Inzy and Kumble bring up the rear.

We still have only 22 players nominated.

What no Shoaib ??:-O :-O

My Top 15:

1. Wasim Akram
  2. Brian Lara
  3. Andy Flower
  4. Curtley Ambrose
  5. Steve Waugh
  6. Allan Donald
  7. Rahul Dravid
  8. Shaun Pollock
  9. Glenn McGrath
  10. Waqar Younis
  11. Muttiah Muralitharan
  12. Ricky Ponting
  13. Sachin Tendulkar
  14. Shane Warne
  15. Allan Border

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
My Top 10:

1. Wasim Akram
  2. Brian Lara
  3. Andy Flower
  4. Steve Waugh
  5. Allan Donald
  6. Rahul Dravid
  7. Shaun Pollock
  8. Glenn McGrath
  9. Waqar Younis
  10. Allan Border
No Tendulkar, no Murali, no Warne....well, well, well.

Flower at three and Pollock at 6 (above Warne, Murali and Sachin obviously and Ponting who is also missing) hmmmmm....calculated nominations ???

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1 Nick Knight
2 Allan Donald
3 Brian Lara
4 Heath Streak
5 Sean Pollock
6 Ian Bell
7 Shane Bond
8 Waqar Younis
9 Ashley Giles
10 Daniel Vettori
11 K Sanggakara
12 Brad Hogg
13 Roger Twose
14 Tom Moody
15 Dewald Pretorious

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not exactly sure how I should vote on this. Given my age and the fact that I got into cricket relatively late, there are several player who should probably make the top 10 who haven't seen at their best or haven't seen at all. My knowledge of stats, stories, player reputation and matches before my time would see me rank them up there, but as far as what I know: that is, what I've seen, I wouldn't have them there.

Fusion

Global Moderator
1. Ambrose
2. Lara
3. Warne
4. Murali
5. Akram
6. Tendulkar
7. McGrath
8. Waugh
9. Ponting
10. Donald

Man this is hard! I agree with those that say picking 10 is too limiting. Too many good players miss out. I think at the minimum it should be top 15, if not top 20. If I did this list 30 minutes from now, it will probably change.

Edit: Yikes, I can't believe I didn't have room for Inzi, Gilchrist, Waqar, Flower, Shoaib, Kumble, Kallis, Dravid and so many others! Expand the list!

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not exactly sure how I should vote on this. Given my age and the fact that I got into cricket relatively late, there are several player who should probably make the top 10 who haven't seen at their best or haven't seen at all. My knowledge of stats, stories, player reputation and matches before my time would see me rank them up there, but as far as what I know: that is, what I've seen, I wouldn't have them there.
Such as who mate?

Obviously Symonds at the top, but would be interested to see your other 9 nonetheless.

pup11

International Coach
My top 10 :-
1.S.Tendulkar
2.S.Warne
3.B.Lara
4.G.McGrath
5.S.Waugh
6.M.Muralitharan
7.W.Akram
8.R.Ponting
9.S.Jayasuriya
10.A.Gilchrist

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Okay, here goes...

1. Tendulkar
2. Murali
3. Lara
4. Warne
5. Ambrose
6. McGrath
7. Wasim
8. Ponting
9. Dravid
10. S. Waugh

Top four separated by very little indeed...

Murali > Warne as, while Warne is an undisputed genius, I do think the fact that he played so much against England has bolstered his legend somewhat.

Tendulkar > Lara as he's been the more consistent. While I think that Lara's the more naturally gifted of the two, I also reckon Tendulkar's got the mental edge and is the finer cricketer.

As I said, those four are very very close indeed in my estimation.

Similarly, I find it very hard to split Ambrose, McGrath and Wasim...and then Ponting, Dravid and Tugga.

My next ten would include Gilchrist, Walsh, Flower, Border, Jayasuriya, Aravinda, Donald, Waqar, Thorpe and Kapil Dev. I don't think Dev did quite enough after Warne's debut to make it to the top 10, or even 15. Flintoff hasn't done nearly enough, either.

Thorpe, on the other hand, performed very well against Warne's Australia, so punches above his weight here.

Although he's better than Gilchrist right now, I don't rate Sangakkara that highly...yet. I don't see the need to have a WK in my top ten, or an all-rounder for that matter.

funnygirl

State Regular
1. Shane Warne
2.C Ambrose
3.W Akram
4.Mcgrath
5.Muralitharan
6.SR Tendulkar
7 .Brian Lara
8.Steve Waugh
9.RT Ponting
10.A Gilchrist