• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
8-) @ some of the comments over the last few pages.

Anyway, I think India need 500+ in the first innings...looking at matches at The Oval recently, it's not so hard to overcome a fairly big first innings score.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
8-) @ some of the comments over the last few pages.

Anyway, I think India need 500+ in the first innings...looking at matches at The Oval recently, it's not so hard to overcome a fairly big first innings score.
Agreed. Need 500, and need to follow it up with a non-collapse in the third. I don't see England ending their first innings with more than 50-60 run deficit, based on the pitch. And the pitch on the second and third day is going to be fantastic batting.

India need to bat as much as possible, at least two sessions. Hopefully three.

JBH001

International Regular
Obviously, being 308/4 now, with your batsman being 44* and 16* at the end of the first day, is a pretty bad performance for the day if you want to win.

On a serious note, have you ever watched a proper game of Test cricket in your life?

:laugh:

Nicely done SS.

Seriously though, enough with the SRT bashing.

However, I do hope that he is not out early in the piece tomorrow morning...and that India get past 450...

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Moores leaps to Prior's defence as England let slip a chance

Guardian adds:

A bag of jelly babies was spotted on the field during one drinks break but Moores denied their presence had anything to do with the fact that the ball moved more in the air during the hour before tea. Sugared saliva is thought to aid a ball's propensity to swing but Moores's explanation was simple: "It got a bit cloudy."

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Whilst I agree with you and Prince here and don't think Tendulkar should be critised here at all, there is no doubt that the cricket played by Karthik, Jaffer and Dravid was bright and attractive cricket whereas this is, well, boring.
Yes, there is. "Boringness" and "attractiveness" are totally subjective - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I, for one, completely disagree and found Tendulkar's gritty yet technically near perfect innings much better to watch. I'm sure I'm in a very small minority there, but you can't say there is "no doubt."

Furthermore, it really doesn't matter. He isn't picked to entertain the crowd - he's picked to do his best for the team. He's still out there while his supposedly more entertaining brethren are back in the pavilion shaking their heads at the horrible shots that got them out.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
But thats not how Test cricket works. You usually have a couple guys scoring slower and a couple guys scoring faster. The run rate for this partnership is 2.85, which is good solid Test cricket. Nothing less.
by all accounts, he has been anything but solid and has been pretty lucky to be hanging in there, but the fact that he is still there along with laxman is very important for india....let's hope he can hang in there long enough to take india to a good score, otherwise his crawl today would have been mostly a waste of time...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
by all accounts, he has been anything but solid and has been pretty lucky to be hanging in there, but the fact that he is still there along with laxman is very important for india....let's hope he can hang in there long enough to take india to a good score, otherwise his crawl today would have been mostly a waste of time...
WTF? It's not like he's been playing and missing at every ball and edging everything through slips. He hasn't shown great intent, but everything he has done, he has done well.. so who cares?

pasag

RTDAS
Yes, there is. "Boringness" and "attractiveness" are totally subjective - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I, for one, completely disagree and found Tendulkar's gritty yet technically near perfect innings much better to watch. I'm sure I'm in a very small minority there, but you can't say there is "no doubt."

Furthermore, it really doesn't matter. He isn't picked to entertain the crowd - he's picked to do his best for the team. He's still out there while his supposedly more entertaining brethren are back in the pavilion shaking their heads at the horrible shots that got them out.
Which is what I said in the paragraph you conveniently omitted ffs.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
WTF? It's not like he's been playing and missing at every ball and edging everything through slips. He hasn't shown great intent, but everything he has done, he has done well.. so who cares?
to be fair, i didn't watch the match, that's why i said "by all accounts"...from the cricinfo review and from a lot of comments(from some good posters) on here, his innings was anything but fluent and he had a huge slice of luck when a fairly simple catch was dropped off him, i love watching gritty, absorbing test cricket when the situation calls for it, when the batsman grits it out because of lack of fluency, form, it's not that great to watch...when it's your all-time favourite player, it becomes really tough....as i said, if he can use this situation to take india to a position of strength, great...otherwise, 50 or 60 off 150 odd balls in this situation wouldn't have helped india much, would it?

pasag

RTDAS
And furthermore, just to go OT abit Prince, I really don't get your so called purist view on cricket, beauty might be in the eye of the beholder but quite frankly it was a rubbish innings to watch for a neutral such as myself (although I didn't mind it one bit as I appreciate it in the context of the score as I've explained). Fast, attacking cricket, actually fast attacking, positive sport is as good as it gets, you must be only one of a handful of people who want to see batsmen block every ball, but I'm sorry on a flat pitch with rubbish bowlers, there is no way anyone but the morbidly perverse (no offense) could get excited about that.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good defensive innings on a tricky pitch against good bowlers as much as the next bloke, but cmon, I think you're taking the whole purist thing to a fanatical extreme.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And furthermore I really don't get your so called purist view on cricket, beauty might be in the eye of the beholder but quite frankly it was a rubbish innings to watch. Fast, attacking cricket, actually fast attacking, positive sport is as good as it gets, you must be only one of a handful of people who want to see batsmen block every ball, but I'm sorry on a flat pitch with rubbish bowlers, there is no way anyone but the morbidly perverse (no offense) could get excited about that.
It's not up to you to decide what I enjoy, though. I don't ask people to share my views on what makes entertaining cricket as I know I'm in a small minority, but I do ask people to realise that nothing is intrinsically boring or attractive. You can find Tendulkar's innings boring if you like and I'm 99% of people will agree with you, but to say that there was no doubt of it being boring isn't correct, as "boring" isn't a universal truth which has right and wrong values. Did you find it boring? Yes. Would most people have found it boring? Yes. But was it universally boring for all to see? No, it was not.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

I thought he showed great intent - intent to stick it out there rather than play stupidly. England was bowling short at him and he didn't have to play shots at those balls. Great batsmen force bowlers to bowl to the lines batsmen want to be bowled at rather than be dictated by the lines the bowlers want the batsmen to play at.

Gavaskar had mentioned to Bhogle during the first or second test (not related to Tendulkar) that how he (Gavaskar) always valued the applause of his team mates more than the applause of the crowds. You are playing for your team, not to please the galleries.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
It's not up to you to decide what I enjoy, though. I don't ask people to share my views on what makes entertaining cricket as I know I'm in a small minority, but I do ask people to realise that nothing is intrinsically boring or attractive. You can find Tendulkar's innings boring if you like and I'm 99% of people will agree with you, but to say that there was no doubt of it being boring isn't correct, as "boring" isn't a universal truth which has right and wrong values. Did you find it boring? Yes. Would most people have found it boring? Yes. But was it universally boring for all to see? No, it was not.
Well I'm not going to qualify statements for the 3 random people in the world that enjoy something like that. If I had to do that every post would be full of useless disclaimers and quite frankly I'm not interested in that and quite comfortable making definitive statements when only one random like yourself feels otherwise. You're right I could have said "There is no doubt that to the vast majority of cricket fans" but I don't feel I need to in the slightest and quite frankly, it's implied.

Furthermore my post that you just quoted was not questioning your right to enjoy what you want to enjoy, rather voicing my amazement at the silliness and OTTness of it.

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
one point every one is missing here nearly 30-40 ball were directed at his body by england with a filder on the legside..............

if iam correct becuse of that we got around 20 byes...which is an indirect contribution by tendulkar :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
All those accounts are just wrong.

He copped a devastating short ball attack from Anderson early, and saw that off. The fact that he wasn't playing shots at those balls doesn't mean he was 'just hanging in there'.

See, this is why you need to actually watch cricket really before making judgment. Its never good enough to read reports because everyone sees things from a different perspective. For me, he had one lapse, that was his attempted booming cover drive off Sidebottom. He played for too much swing. Ironically I told my friend "I'd rather Tendulkar go out going for his cover drive then prodding to Anderson". Two balls later he was dropped going for that very shot. I wasn't that upset, because it wasn't like a massive error, just didn't play the line well.

Tendulkar CANNOT do anything right in people's minds sometimes. Its amazing. If he isn't looking like the Sachin from the 90s, then he should just throw the kit away and go in their minds.

People forget that Karthik was dropped as well. But no one brings that up when talking about his awesome innings. And no one has criticised Jaffer for his dumb arse shot. Let's criticise Tendulkar for seeing off some good bowling, when the cloud cover came JUST BEFORE he arrived at the crease, explaining Dravid's dismissal (the late swing, and good bowling). No I'm not saying it was a minefield or tough batting conditions, but it was definitely tougher then when Jaffer and Karthik were creaming it around.

Last edited: