• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I agree. A majority of the ridiculous amount of extras England have given away in this test have been no thanks to Prior.
His been more than competent and burdening the blame on the ridiculously amount of extra’s given in this game is a tad harsh for mine. Some of the deliveries Plunkett has bowled would be difficult to stop if there was two wicket keepers positioned behind the stumps.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
May I ask how quick and how accurate Steve Harmison was bowling?
Mid 80's from what I saw, he was pretty lively in the morning but not express in the afternoon.

In regard to accuracy he was 'ok', batsman didn't have to play much but I don't think he bowled any wides. (?)

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
His been more than competent and burdening the blame on the ridiculously amount of extra’s given in this game is a tad harsh for mine. Some of the deliveries Plunkett has bowled would be difficult to stop if there was two wicket keepers positioned behind the stumps.
Agreed there. Couldn't have helped most have them. Still around 20 or so more extras and it'll be the most in any Test AFAIK.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I think too much is being made of the West Indies chances in this Test. I think they've done enough - given the vast difference in established class between the teams - to make a large impression and really lay some foundation for future matches. But as this one goes, I'd be very surprised if the West Indies pulled off a victory. I think we'll bat until the second session, but I'm pick England to get home comfortably in the end.

Great fight shown by the team though. Very impressed. If Darren Sammy can bat with as much intent and passion as he bowled with, perhaps I can be proven wrong tomorrow.
I agree with the second session thinking. One way or another the match should be finihsed by then excepting rain/streakers.

Woodster

International Captain
I thought Harmy bowled with a lot more accuracy today than he has been doing, not particularly difficult I know. Still more pace to come from him, but a definite improvement.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I ain't one of Harmison's fans but I can defenitely sympathise with him going through this period. It's the worst feeling in the world when you are bowling huge wides and you just feel so embarassed and also so very lonely. Here's hoping that he at least starts to improve with the help of Allan Donald's work.

Woodster

International Captain
Think AD is a fantastic appointment and one I hope England try a little harder to keep hold of for a longer period.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointing days cricket from an England perspective, but good luck to the West Indies if they can pull this one out of the bag. Will be one for the ages.

Hopefully this game will kill Plunketts career on the proviso that it doesnt lead to Saj getting called back.

Panesar continued with the issues Ive mentioned in the past. Namely dropping the ball too short too often. It was a pretty weak effort on a track that helped him and one he should look to dominate on. A left arm spinner of quality should be capable of putting 6 balls pitched up to the batsman. So many balls were wasted as they were short and even though they didnt go for too many runs they released the pressure and obviously made the batsmen have to play fewer turning pitched up balls as they should have. I will not go into what I thought about the dropped catch.

On the topic of Panesar. Himself and Prior need to tone down their appeals. They are not at the level of some of the worst offenders but they are getting there and its embarassing.

Sidebottom will always struggle when there is no additional help so there was no suprises there that he went wicketless.

Harmison was improved but there is a way to go. Add 5 mph to that effort and England will be laughing. Unfortunately saying it and doing it are 2 different things.

Should be an interesting day 5.

Fiery

Banned
Where does Darren Sammy's 7 wickets on debut rank as the all-time best figures on debut?
Sammy's 7/66 is the 13th equal best-ever on debut. Note: (Hirwani's 16 wickets, best ever match figures on debut):

AE Trott 8-43 v England Adelaide 1894/95
RAL Massie 8-53 v England Lord's 1972
ND Hirwani 8-61 v West Indies 1st Innings Chennai 1987/88
L Klusener 8-64 v India Kolkata 1996/97
ND Hirwani 8-75 v West Indies 2nd Innings Chennai 1987/88
AL Valentine 8-104 v England Manchester 1950
DG Cork 7-43 v West Indies Lord's 1995
JK Lever 7-46 v India Delhi 1976/77
AV Bedser 7-49 v India Lord's 1946
TK Kendall 7-55 v England Melbourne 1876/77
James Langridge 7-56 v West Indies Manchester 1933
AE Hall 7-63 v England Cape Town 1922/23
Mohammad Zahid 7-66 v New Zealand Rawalpindi 1996/97

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
(Re. Harmison)
Mid 80's from what I saw, he was pretty lively in the morning but not express in the afternoon.
In regard to accuracy he was 'ok', batsman didn't have to play much but I don't think he bowled any wides. (?)
Interesting definition of "OK" if the batsmen didn't have to play much. tbf I only caught the early morning session, when Harmison bowled pretty well, and, by the sound of it, he was not the most culpable of our attack yesterday.

Huge opportunity for WI today. They know that if they see off the opening spells then Harmy & Plunkett's heads will drop. With Panesar not at his best and Sidebottom looking anonymous, I reckon history will be made around 3.00pm

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last night I was going to make a post tipping Windies to win the thing, but decided against it, given how stupid I would've looked. Wishing I'd done it now :(

Nishant

International 12th Man
Last night I was going to make a post tipping Windies to win the thing, but decided against it, given how stupid I would've looked. Wishing I'd done it now :(
same here actually...but i had predicted a WI win in the CW predictions thread anyway!

Based on the situation now...i reckon WI may break a few records today!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah look FTR, they probably won't do it. Chances are, one of these two will be out early today and the rest just won't be able to hang around long enough. Am officially supporting the Windies though.

Woodster

International Captain
Think England will pick up early wickets today to ensure victory. I thought on the whole England bowled pretty well yesterday without any real luck. Credit to the WI for the character they've shown in this 2nd innings, but dont think it'll be enough.