• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Jacques Kallis so disliked?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I dont think people hate him as much as thay dont consider him as great as his stats suggest.
Depends which stats you look at - 8351 @ 55.30 & 207 @ 32.26 or 7375 @ 50.51 & 178 @ 35.03

Granted the second lot are still good figures, but the sudden reduction in gap is quite telling IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
^^^ What are they?

His I$C$C-official-bull**** figures followed by his figures against Test-class sides?

And if so, have you considered matches only for SA, or that stupid WXI match too?

Slow Love™

International Captain
I rate him very highly as a player.

The area I dont like him in is purely irrational but never-the-less I cant get out of my head.

He has that look about him that screams he should be in a uniform with a sjambok beating down on someone. He just looks like a nasty bastard to me.

As I said, completely unjustified and irrational but I cant get that vision of him out of my head. Obviously its not true, so Im not judging or accusing him.

Its just everytime I see him, the vision of a nasty apharteid era policeman jumps into my mind. :wacko:
Haha, don't think I had quite the same picture come to mind, but he does look a bit of a thug, doesn't he?

Once you've visited his website though, particularly regarding the Foundation and the Q&A ("I use all Sanex products for my hair, feet and body"), you can't help falling in love with him. :)

And his ridiculously hot former Miss South Africa girlfriend... Dammit, I hate the bastard again.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I rate him very highly as a player.

The area I dont like him in is purely irrational but never-the-less I cant get out of my head.

He has that look about him that screams he should be in a uniform with a sjambok beating down on someone. He just looks like a nasty bastard to me.

As I said, completely unjustified and irrational but I cant get that vision of him out of my head. Obviously its not true, so Im not judging or accusing him.

Its just everytime I see him, the vision of a nasty apharteid era policeman jumps into my mind. :wacko:
You know a mate of mine back in 1999 said a very similar thing. We were talking about Kallis and he said something along the lines of "I have no real good basis for this opinion, but to me he looks a racist, or at least a very big asshole."

So you're not alone, if its any consolation (if that makes sense :p).

I love Kallis, but I'm not blindly a fan of his to ignore his shortcomings, and one of them is that he plays for himself on occasions. SA vs. Eng 2004/05 5th test is evidence of that IMO, and I can't see how anyone could deny it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, yeah, I can definitely see where Goughy is coming from as well. Personally, I have that feeling a lot about white South Africans though. I've met some great South African people, but there's a certain kind of predjudice that comes naturally, particularly with ex-pat South Africans who live over here. I always imagine them as mine owners or cops or something before they left their homeland. I guess it's the same feeling one might have had about Germans half a century ago.

Kallis inspires this particular feeling far more than most.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I love Kallis, but I'm not blindly a fan of his to ignore his shortcomings, and one of them is that he plays for himself on occasions. SA vs. Eng 2004/05 5th test is evidence of that IMO, and I can't see how anyone could deny it.
GRR!!! I've tried time and again to show why you can perfectly legitimately deny it! :wallbash:

gunner

U19 Cricketer
do abit of research and you will find how much he isnt liked in SA team
not by everyone but most of his team mates dont like him

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Thats exactly what you said when you accused Smith of being a racist.

Stop trolling or produce your own evidence to back your claims

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A bit OT here, but... how long have you had that link to that post in your sig for?

Seems an eternity.

Even le changed eventually.

Though I will always keep my RD and RIP Fardin parts.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ever since I made the post probably, so sometime around Feb 2006.

Its a testament to my loyalty to Giles in International Cricket Captain that I kept it in my sig despite his piss poor performance in the recent Ashes series.

That or laziness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Marc could blame "laziness" for conveniently failing to update his Harmison-vs-the-rest stats in his sig once Harmison became rubbish again...

jot1

State Vice-Captain
not by everyone but most of his team mates dont like him
So much that during his benefit year they stood by him and spend long hours helping him. So much that they declared his benefit year one of the most sucsessful. So much that they declared at numerous interviews on TV he is one of the best blokes around. So much that Boucher has already gone into business with him and others are considering it. A real estate business, where they will have to spend most of their time, after their careers have ended, with him. Doesn't sound like someone not liked to me. (And go and research this, if you like. :p )

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Probably because when SA need him to score quickly in Tests (Centurion 2005, Sydney 2006 the best two examples) he doesn't - if he'd scored quicker in those matches they might just have tied one or both of those series. But we know he can score qiuck when he wants too - he's got the fsatest 50 in terms of balls faced (albeit against a crap Zimbabwe) and he can score quick in ODIs. So the fact he doesn't do it when SA really need him to do it can be interpreted as selfishness - I'm not saying it is - but he seemed unwilling to score quick and take risks in the Tests I mentioned (which is worse than being unable to do so).