• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

Dravid

International Captain
So even if he's bowling well, you take issue with his presence because of his shirt? Maybe he has better things to think about than whether or not his shirt is tucked in. Like, I dunno, line and length?
I take a players attitude towards the game seriously. Him not tucking in his shirt just shows he has no respect for the team and the game.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No it's more than just a shirt. This is not Gully Cricket.
Explain to me again how a bowler taking wickets is guilty of letting his team down because he doesn't tuck in his shirt. Explain to me again how a bowler taking international wickets is approaching the game as if it is "gully cricket".

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, tbh, Dravid has a very good point.

Having your shirt tucked in shows proper attitude towards the game and profesionalism. It might be because you guys (SS and Mr. Mxyz) haven't played sports at a high level where the coach emphasizes on the fact that your attitude reflects your performance. By showing you have your shirt not tucked in, it hinders the level of professionalism that is needed at an international level in sports where you represent your country. It also shows one is not keen on following the proper etiquettes of the game.

I have played three sports at a high level, and in each of them I swear to God, my coach has emphasized the need for proper attitude. For example, in Baseball, no matter what it is, practice or gameday, we come to the diamond with are shirts tucked in and are hats on along with all our equipment. You don't have your shirt tucked in, you sit the game.

Having your shirt tucked in may sound like a very little thing to many people, but it is very important and is one of the things needed to showcase proper attitude which in return reflects your performance.

Mr Mxyzptlk

My point is that if a player is performing, it shouldn't matter what state his shirt is in. It's pedantic to stress such issues when a player is doing the job he's selected to do. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Jacques Kallis bowling with his shirt untucked. Should he be sacked for being unprofessional? What about Dwayne Bravo? I'm sure I've seen him in the same state of disarray.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
My point is that if a player is performing, it shouldn't matter what state his shirt is in. It's pedantic to stress such issues when a player is doing the job he's selected to do. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Jacques Kallis bowling with his shirt untucked. Should he be sacked for being unprofessional? What about Dwayne Bravo? I'm sure I've seen him in the same state of disarray.
Nobody's suggesting they should be sacked. It is a really easy thing to do, and it takes about 2 seconds, but the impact of a team of players with their shirts tucked in, is huge to the impact to one who doesn't.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Nobody's suggesting they should be sacked. It is a really easy thing to do, and it takes about 2 seconds, but the impact of a team of players with their shirts tucked in, is huge to the impact to one who doesn't.
Read Dravid's initial posts about Patel's attitude. Then his first example of his bad attitude was his shirt being untucked.

AFAIC, there are more important things to worry about than keeping your shirt tucked in. Anyone who has played cricket knows that your shirt comes untucked every once in a while and some people are more concerned with getting wickets than look prim and proper. I'm sure Chappell would prefer for Patel to look like a wreck if it means he's taking wickets.

Btw, this is perhaps the stupidest argument ever on CW. It's been a pleasure.

adharcric

International Coach
Definitely agree with SS and Mr. Mxyzptik. You should tuck in your shirt to follow proper etiquette, but it really isn't a huge deal if you're taking wickets and your coach, teammates and officials aren't too fussed about your shirt. Unless you're required to do it, it's just a formality and I'd rather have our bowlers take wickets than tuck their shirts in. Cricketers with shirts tucked in do look better in general but cricketers who take wickets look much, much better. Haha, stupid argument.

By the way, you guys (Dravid and Turbinator) have been required to tuck 'em in by your coaches in "high-level" sports because you play in youth teams where they not only try to teach the sport but also discipline. In fact, discipline is a huge thing for youth sports coaches. If you watch the NBA, there are several players who go for extended periods with the shirts out. If they put them back in, it's because of anal referees and that's the only reason you should have to tuck them back in: anal referees or an offended coach or teammates. AFAIK, neither Chappell, Dravid nor ICC officials care about this so Munaf doesn't need to worry about it either.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Is this true? How do you know? If so, he needs to be removed immediatly.
Tbf, many guys that have played did not throw the ball in due to injuries. Obvious examples are David Gower and Courtney Walsh.

It shouldnt stop him playing if the other aspects of his game are upto standard. I would think the other areas are the concern

adharcric

International Coach
I'm 100% positive I heard Munaf mention that his new-found success in ODI cricket has been because he was specifically told to not try and bowl flat out and spray it all over the place, but bowl line and length.

I very much doubt he chooses to not bowl fast on purpose, its what he got a name for in Indian domestic cricket in the first place.

I think Munaf is getting a fair bit of criticism here because he can't field, can't bat, and his face looks like that of a super evil villain in a movie.
That claim is probably true but I'm strongly suspicious that his fitness is a reason for it. He has a history of injuries in domestic cricket which have already reduced his pace considerably (supposedly, he used to bowl 90+ before injuries). Let's ignore the last test (in which he was nursing a sore ankle) and head back to the final test against the West Indies. He bowled several medium-length spells in the low-to-mid 80s throughout the match and struggled to bowl longer ones. Suddenly, he came back at the end of the match to bowl a spell of IIRC 5-6 overs in the high 80s. He might be bowling line-and-length in ODIs not only to be economical but also to preserve his fitness. As for his throwing, that definitely indicates that he isn't very confident in his fitness. Nevertheless, his bowling is the crucial factor; his injury-preventing measures are not too important if he takes wickets.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
And he's been India's best bowler (bar Harbhajan) in ODI cricket since the series in the West Indies. IIRC, he's only had one bad game since, against Australia on their way to the CT title.
Not to mention that was the game where he was rushed back early from injury.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely agree with SS and Mr. Mxyzptik. You should tuck in your shirt to follow proper etiquette, but it really isn't a huge deal if you're taking wickets and your coach, teammates and officials aren't too fussed about your shirt. Unless you're required to do it, it's just a formality and I'd rather have our bowlers take wickets than tuck their shirts in. Cricketers with shirts tucked in do look better in general but cricketers who take wickets look much, much better. Haha, stupid argument.

By the way, you guys (Dravid and Turbinator) have been required to tuck 'em in by your coaches in "high-level" sports because you play in youth teams where they not only try to teach the sport but also discipline. In fact, discipline is a huge thing for youth sports coaches. If you watch the NBA, there are several players who go for extended periods with the shirts out. If they put them back in, it's because of anal referees and that's the only reason you should have to tuck them back in: anal referees or an offended coach or teammates. AFAIK, neither Chappell, Dravid nor ICC officials care about this so Munaf doesn't need to worry about it either.
You know you have an excellent point there about discipline in youth sports, but, however, my problem isn't with Munaf not tucking in his shirt throughout the game... my problem is with him not tucking his shirt when he comes on the field at the start of each session. After hours of long and tedious physical exertion, imo, it is alright for one to get tired and have their shirt tucked out. But when coming on the field and representing his country at the highest level, you should be required to follow the etiquettes properly and show a certain degree of professionalism. And, tbh, in majority of the sports people do have their shirts tucked in properly. Also, yes it's great to take wickets and I am more concerned about that, but tucking in your shirt isn't such a big deal, it takes only 2 seconds.

And, also, don't players like Munaf require discipline, they certainly haven't mastered the art yet and it shows in their performance. An art that is so important in every aspect of life, not only sports.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You know you have an excellent point there about discipline in youth sports, but, however, my problem isn't with Munaf not tucking in his shirt throughout the game... my problem is with him not tucking his shirt when he comes on the field at the start of each session. After hours of long and tedious physical exertion, imo, it is alright for one to get tired and have their shirt tucked out. But when coming on the field and representing his country at the highest level, you should be required to follow the etiquettes properly and show a certain degree of professionalism.
Who.The.Hell.Cares?

Its a ****ing shirt.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
*sigh* Agreed, but in the end these little things can count for a lot. Just my opinion, obviously.. TBH I don't really care if he puts his shirt in or not, I would just prefer to see it tucked in.

Anyways, useless discussion.

Langeveldt

Soutie
It doesn't concern me a great deal, but I'd like cricketers to be proud of their appearence, I think it sets the standard and implies you are proud and professional.. After all, you wouldn't put a baggy green cap on back to front after being given it would you? But if it comes untucked and the guy doesnt know about it, it's not exactly a huge deal..

JustTool

State 12th Man
"With the players taking their time to come out, countless television cameras zoomed in on Virender Sehwag's wife, who beat a hasty retreat. When the stars surfaced the decibel level went up. "Best of luck Viru, for your next advertisement shoot," said someone. Mahendra Singh Dhoni was questioned if it was time to change his hair-style.

Sachin Tendulkar evaded the crowd, moving out through another exit, while the only man to receive a cheer from the Mumbai crowd was Sourav Ganguly. There were chants of "Dada zindabad" as a smiling Ganguly walked out, pushing an overcrowded trolley"

Too bad none of the Tendulkar blind-idol-worshippers were there to greet their hero - apparently he doesn't even have the courage to face the publci any more. What a scam !!

Dravid

International Captain
Explain to me again how a bowler taking wickets is guilty of letting his team down because he doesn't tuck in his shirt. Explain to me again how a bowler taking international wickets is approaching the game as if it is "gully cricket".
Because it shows he has no pride in his team. It shows he isn't play a pro sport. First thing you are supposed to when you put on your team shirt, you are supposed to tuck it in and keep it tucked in for as long as you wear it. Not tucking it in is just a disgrace to the game. I don't care how many wickets he can take, I would not pick him just because of his trash attitude. I would rather pick any crap bowler who at least cares about the game and respects it over him.