• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Salas is dormie-2, looks like they're going to need Pettersen for the last half-point. Seppos would no doubt enjoy that

Or not, Piller tossing it all away

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
day wins a 5th title for 2015 by 6 shots and becomes no: 1...! can he sustain this level of play?

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
That's a great win. Day's outplaying everyone at the moment, it's not a few lucky shots. It'll be interesting to see if he keeps it up. His history would suggest it will last at this new level he's found if there's no more injuries

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's a great win. Day's outplaying everyone at the moment, it's not a few lucky shots. It'll be interesting to see if he keeps it up. His history would suggest it will last at this new level he's found if there's no more injuries
Rory is brilliant but a modern day Seve

Jordan putts like a demon but that can go off and cant match the others tee to green

Scott has a great swing but is a terrible putter

Can see Day becoming a long term No. 1 as he has the complete game and has a settled life

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i think rory when healthy is and will continue to be more consistent than seve ever was, also the fourth cog in this wheel is now rickie, scott seems to be fading and is rarely in contention these days and with anchored putting going away, i don't see him being much of a factor going forward...day is on a torrid run right now and seems to have the complete game but we have to first see how long he can keep it up...

social

i think rory when healthy is and will continue to be more consistent than seve ever was, also the fourth cog in this wheel is now rickie, scott seems to be fading and is rarely in contention these days and with anchored putting going away, i don't see him being much of a factor going forward...day is on a torrid run right now and seems to have the complete game but we have to first see how long he can keep it up...
Biased towards Scott due to personal reasons but IMO, has the best swing in golf

Always been a streaky putter and has been crap on the greens with or without long putter - 2 top 10s in majors this year despite being in career worst form

I'll back him in the Masters next year

I have followed Rory around the course a lot and for a great player, he is all over the shop

Day seems to be cut from a different cloth

King Pietersen

International Captain
How do you think Scott will get on without being able to anchor his long putter? He's still going to use the long one, but use it without anchoring. Can't see it ending well.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Biased towards Scott due to personal reasons but IMO, has the best swing in golf

Always been a streaky putter and has been crap on the greens with or without long putter - 2 top 10s in majors this year despite being in career worst form

I'll back him in the Masters next year

I have followed Rory around the course a lot and for a great player, he is all over the shop

Day seems to be cut from a different cloth
The thing with when you say Rory is all over the shop. No player hits hits the fairway or green every time. Tiger went through patches where he looked like he'd never hit a fairway again (overstating slightly lol). But, to be in contention at times like that says a lot about a player.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Day's not exactly Francesco Molinari himself, he can be pretty wild, particularly with the driver. Hit 56% of fairways this year and ranked 162nd. No PGA stats for Rory this year for some reason, but he hit 60% last year and was ranked 108th.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
How do you think Scott will get on without being able to anchor his long putter? He's still going to use the long one, but use it without anchoring. Can't see it ending well.
yeah that sounds like desperation right there...not confidence...

King Pietersen

International Captain
I know of people that have tried it since hearing about the ban and apparently it's incredibly difficult to keep the loft of the club and control the line. Could be a car crash. He'll soon switch to a short putter if he tries it.

social

Chances are that he wont be appreciably worse as he was literally one of the worst putters on the PGA Tour this year and that is fairly typical of his career :laugh:

People make the mistake of thinking that he went from being a crap/streaky putter to excellent when he picked up the broomstick

Fact is that he went to slightly less crap/streaky at a time when his short game became one of the best around so putting became less of a focal point

IMO, his problem has always been with alignment and that wont change irrespective of putter length, grip, etc

Having said that, I reckon his retention of the long putter is simply a case of him giving 2 fingers to the R & A for what he believes is an unfair decision

After all, there are players who have never used anything else in their entire career (Petterson) or need it for medical reasons (Clark) whilst others continue to "anchor" short putters (Kuchar)

Last edited:

social

Day's not exactly Francesco Molinari himself, he can be pretty wild, particularly with the driver. Hit 56% of fairways this year and ranked 162nd. No PGA stats for Rory this year for some reason, but he hit 60% last year and was ranked 108th.
Stats can be misleading as a "miss" can be recorded when ball is fractionally off fairway but on a brilliant lie