• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

European Championship Qualifying

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Surely when you're 5-1 up it doesn't matter?
No one ever got rich overestimating the England football team, tbf.

Although it wasn't so very long ago we regularly struggled to qualify for tournaments, so the luxury of whinging about our defence in a two goal victory that gives us 12 points from 12 is a welcome one.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Should have tried a back three back in the day. But that is hindsight speakin
They did try it occasionally. But realised that it would either require Gerrard or Beckham playing at WB, or Beckham being dropped, and both of those options were a big no no.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
They did try it occasionally. But realised that it would either require Gerrard or Beckham playing at WB, or Beckham being dropped, and both of those options were a big no no.
That was the main issue. I'm trying to remember who would gave played right wing back anyway. Obviously Cole was fine on the other side.

andmark

International Captain
All I can think is they could've done with a left WB with a defensive shape of 4-4-2. I don't know who the LWB would've been though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Young Neville was good in that role. It was the system used at WC98.

But by the time Sven came around and they tried that system again (around 04) G Nev's days as a wing back were done. His pace was totally shot after several severe injuries. Micah Richards was probably the only semi-feasible option, and he wasn't exactly great. They even tried Carragher in the role once, which was obviously a bad idea.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think 3atb was the solution, no one in the squad played it for their clubs. It wasn't that hard to pick a good England side in a 4atb formation. They just never had a manager with the testicles to drop anyone who'd ever been on the front of a Fifa game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Actually when they tried it they stuck Beckham in the DM role

Was abandoned after defeat to Northern Ireland. They got lucky with that one as it came just after England won the Ashe in 05 so a lot of media focus was elsewhere.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Oh yeah that's true. Beckham at CM wasn't bad in principle imo. It's just that England had (at least) 3-4 players who were considerably better than him in that position.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's a measure of how utterly apathetic I've become towards the Scotland national side that the first score I was looking for last night was Northern Ireland's.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Actually when they tried it they stuck Beckham in the DM role

Was abandoned after defeat to Northern Ireland. They got lucky with that one as it came just after England won the Ashe in 05 so a lot of media focus was elsewhere.
Haha I just watched the goal from this game and Beckham in the DM role is massively at fault for the goal. No wonder they did not try this again.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's a measure of how utterly apathetic I've become towards the Scotland national side that the first score I was looking for last night was Northern Ireland's.
Not like you to abandon a team when they're down and out :ph34r:

flibbertyjibber

In a way tonight is a good result, nice reality check and stops everyone getting hyped up only to get angry when we fail next summer.

flibbertyjibber

Piss poor performance though. As was much of the 5-3 against Montenegro last time out.
Yeah, not good. We will qualify but at least the last couple of displays mean the press can't build up hype etc...

Quarter final and with luck a semi is our limit. No disgrace in that with the players we have.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, not good. We will qualify but at least the last couple of displays mean the press can't build up hype etc...

Quarter final and with luck a semi is our limit. No disgrace in that with the players we have.
Do not underestimate the pomposity of the British Press