• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***2017 State of Origin First Try Scorer***

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
man I can't believe I forgot to nominate

also can't believe that Boyd has been the first try scorer only 3 times
I'll put you in next game.

If by some miracle field goals or penalty tries are the first scorer you can get it for this game.

ripper868

International Coach
I've got the makings of a halfway decent forward pack, but sweet FA chance of bagging any try, let alone the first one!

Gnske

QLD forwards have been piss-weak, hard to believe Lillyman and Myles are the best we could get. Get 20m or so in a full set meanwhile Tedesco is making that much on kick returns.

Also good to see Fifita playing like he's against a team of junior league referees

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
QLD forwards have been piss-weak, hard to believe Lillyman and Myles are the best we could get. Get 20m or so in a full set meanwhile Tedesco is making that much on kick returns.

Also good to see Fifita playing like he's against a team of junior league referees
They really aren't the best we've got at all. For the next game I would move Papalii to the front row as we'll find it easier to cover backrow by bringing in a Cooper, Hess, FKaufusi or starting Thaiday or Guerra.

1 Slater 2 Boyd 3 Chambers 4 Gagai 5 Oates 6 Thurston 7 Cronk
8 Papalii 9 Smith 10 Napa 11 Cooper 12 Gillett 13 McGuire
14 Morgan 15 Wallace 16 Thaiday 17 Hess

OUT: ONeill Milford Myles Lillyman Guerra
IN: Slater Thurston Cooper Wallace Hess

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Morgan's spot could be up for grabs too although I think we'd like someone capable of playing in the halves if JT went down. Other options are Milford obviously and Munster.

For the final bench spot I wouldn't hate it if QLD gave Felise Kaufusi a game. He is really talented and knows the Storm plays which will be helpful on Origin debut.

NSW were awesome by the way tonight, they just wanted it more and were too classy and played as a team. Some of the club combinations were terrific too, most noticeably the Sharks boys who were all very good. This was the first time in a long time that I really couldn't fault the NSW selectors.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Morgan offers Qld very much at all. Decent player but JT (as he tends to do) makes him look way better than he is. The utility spot for Qld has always been tough because you don't want to break up the spine so you need someone who offers something in another position if no one gets injured. No one springs to mind (ironically NSW have several options but no decent 7). Cherry Evans and Morgan didn't do that and neither would Munster or Milford. That said Milford was better than I thought he'd be before getting injured. I'd have him comfortably over Morgan.

Hess is a good shout actually. Has an incredible knack for finding the line.

Only fault I have with NSW selectors is Pearce. Dud kicking game. No vision. Poor options. Only thing he has going for him is defense. It's his 16th Origin and he looks as out of place as McCrone does in first grade. It's no coincidence we scored twice after he went off. If Moylan turns out to be the next Lockyer I'd have him, if not Austin or A Reynolds. There's very few eligible NRL halfbacks if have behind him at this point tbh.

No even Pearce could spoil this though. So so good.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Only fault I have with NSW selectors is Pearce. Dud kicking game. No vision. Poor options. Only thing he has going for him is defense. It's his 16th Origin and he looks as out of place as McCrone does in first grade. It's no coincidence we scored twice after he went off. If Moylan turns out to be the next Lockyer I'd have him, if not Austin or A Reynolds. There's very few eligible NRL halfbacks if have behind him at this point tbh..
I went to type a reply to this several times but just can't be bothered. Quite possibly one of the worst think-pieces I've ever read on this forum, though, so kudos.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fwiw I bought it was Pearce's best Origin by miles, and that he was excellent. Had one kick into the in goal on the full which gave Qld a seven tackle set, but that aside I really thought he was excellent. Shame he can't remember it.

Qld looked old. I don't think keeping Third Man Thaiday will help. Been a great player but offered nowt from the bench. Myles' time has come too. I'd keep Milford on the bench. Can cover centre as well as the halves and is explosive when defences tire. I though Papali was great whe he got the pill but didn't see enough of it.

There'll need to be a rethink for Qld, but probably not til next year. They've been a crazy good side for so long but the difference between the two sides in leg speed and stamina was obvious.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Wtf. Seriously? Pearces first half was not good at all. His involvement in our points was regulation stuff but there were 3 bombs that were a combination of not high enough and too deep. A miskick into someone's legs. A butchered play when attacking on the left (I'd have to rewatch that one). The kick down Gagais throat has been mentioned. That's 6 poor touches in one half of footy, most of them 5th tackle options. That's not good enough for a dude in his 16th origin. The effort and defense were there as always and the start of the second half was better, then he got knocked out.

It's hard to say who would be a good replacement because we've been playing Pearce there for nearly a decade. We don't know how, say Walker, Keary or Brooks would do. We haven't seen enough of A Reynolds, Moylan or Austin at this level. We know in great detail what Pearce gives us and it's never been good enough. The point at which we have a better team than Qld in most other areas is exactly the time we should be blooding someone with less experience.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The "we scored twice straight after he went off" line is particularly awful. Yeah, we scored twice because QLD decided to try a short dropout at an awful time for it and then the next set they dropped the ball on their own 5m line and Fifita walked one in. They would've been scored by an u-16 side.

Also ignoring the key role he played in two tries in the first half is classic.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The "we scored twice straight after he went off" line is particularly awful. Yeah, we scored twice because QLD decided to try a short dropout at an awful time for it and then the next set they dropped the ball on their own 5m line and Fifita walked one in. They would've been scored by an u-16 side.

Also ignoring the key role he played in two tries in the first half is classic.
I had the order of the injury/tries mixed up. The Fifita/Hayne tries are the ones I'm talking about. The Fifita try came off the back of a kick that Pearce wasn't putting through when he had the opportunity. Perfectly placed to bring the chasers into play and put Gagai under pressure. The ball was played on the goal line as a result so the error turned into a try instead of just a repeat set. The Hayne try was a quick short side play with Maloney at 1st receiver of the type that Pearce has butchered his entire time in Origin.

He backed up decently for the second try which is fine. The first was a regulation inside ball (under mild pressure) that Fifita being a monster (and Myles being way past it) turned into a line break that Maloney did very well to finish. Regulation seems like an fair description. He certainly wasn't the key player in any of it.

"Would prefer most eligible options" is a bit hyperbolic, but "worst think-piece on CW" is cut from a pretty similar cloth tbh. This forum has Watson ffs.

Last edited:

social

I thought that Pearce's kicking game was horrid in the first half and lost count of the number of times that he put it straight down the receiver's throat