• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby (union) June Internationals 2016

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
England squad for 2nd Test:
M Brown (Harlequins); A Watson (Bath), J Joseph (Bath), O Farrell (Saracens), J Nowell (Exeter); G Ford (Bath), B Youngs (Leicester); M Vunipola (Saracens), D Hartley (capt. Northampton), D Cole (Leicester); M Itoje (Saracens), G Kruis (Saracens); C Robshaw (Harlequins), B Vunipola (Saracens), J Haskell (Wasps). Replacements: J George (Saracens), M Mullan (Wasps), P Hill (Northampton), J Launchbury (Wasps), C Lawes (Northampton), J Clifford (Harlequins), D Care (Harlequins), E Daly (Wasps).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Bench finalised for Wallabies. Full XXIII is now:

1 Slipper
2 Moore (skipper)
3 Kepu
4 Carter
5 Arnold
6 Fardy
7 Hoopah
8 McMahon
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Horne
12 Kerevi
13 Kuridrani
14 Haylett-Petty
15 Folau

16 Polota-Nau
17 Smith
18 Holmes
19 Mumm
20 McCalman
21 Frisby
22 Lealiifano
23 Morahan

ripper868

International Coach
England's pack are going to bash the **** out of us. Carter and Arnold are possibly the two locks with l;east impact possible. Plus Mumm as only lock cover on the bench, there is no fire in the engine room - Kev Horwill seriously unlucky, these aren't the guys I'd have picked for a do or die series deciding match. Hope to be proved wrong. I've no issues with the backline, or with having an actual outside back on the bench for when Horne tackles with his head again.

England by 12 sadly, we'll miss the Pooper to much.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
England's pack are going to bash the **** out of us. Carter and Arnold are possibly the two locks with l;east impact possible. Plus Mumm as only lock cover on the bench, there is no fire in the engine room - Kev Horwill seriously unlucky, these aren't the guys I'd have picked for a do or die series deciding match. Hope to be proved wrong. I've no issues with the backline, or with having an actual outside back on the bench for when Horne tackles with his head again.

England by 12 sadly, we'll miss the Pooper to much.

:wub: Ripper

Have missed your posts on Rugby!

ripper868

International Coach
That was illuminating, however here is another analysis on the Australia forwards' tactics:

Sir Sir Sir Sir Sir Sir Sir Sir
Heh.

Itoje is going to rip us to pieces, as well as many other teams over the next decade, once in a generation player imo.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
England are idiots. Yarde has been dropped. :(

*Don't change a winning team*

Come to New Zealand Yarde, we will look after you.

Yarde is definitely Super Rugby standard and would be close to getting a go on the wing for the ABs.

I would say the pecking order of Wings in NZ relative to Yarde is:

Ben Smith
Naholo
Savea
Yarde

Unfortunately I think we are using Barret as wing cover on the bench, otherwise I could see Yarde being our bench guy if Savea can't regain form.

If trading was allowed in International rugby NZ would definitely trade for Yarde given he is unwanted in England. We would give up TKB for him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To be fair Nowell's no slouch either. Probably better defensively and definitely has the better kicking game.

If him or Watson gets broken I suspect we'd move JJ to the wing and bring on Daly at thirteen.

Brown has played on the wing too, although he's a career 15.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair Nowell's no slouch either. Probably better defensively and definitely has the better kicking game.

If him or Watson gets broken I suspect we'd move JJ to the wing and bring on Daly at thirteen.

Brown has played on the wing too, although he's a career 15.
The way we pick rep teams at age group level in New Zealand is "who made no mistakes".

Yarde did nothing wrong. He even scored a try,

You can argue he should have skinned that aussie wing on the outside when he was given a bit of space, but while that was dissapointing, it would have been an amazing play if he had;ve gotten by him.

Nonetheless thanks for the knowledge about his replacement. I just feel like Yarde has been shafted on many occassions, and if shafted is a strong word then I will replace it with that he has not gotten the rub of the green on a number of selection decisions over the past few years and I am starting to beleive there must be off field reasons.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Maybe. But while I like his power and his side-step he's a pretty one-dimensional player as Brumby points out, and the reason he didn't gas anyone on the outside on Saturday is because he just ain't that quick.

Edit: ftr I am on your side on this

Yarde should be playing for England for a long, long time. Missed him this season
Cipriani officially 4th choice fly half, headline stuff

Pissed off by a lack of Marland Yarde. He injured?
But I'm just saying I can see the other side.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
New Zealand (and Australia, England, Japan, South Africa, Wales, France, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, USA, Canada) already do deal in international trading - it just happens at the 15/16 year old level, mostly in the Pacific Islands :ph34r:

Expect to see Kerevi/Kuridrani target Ford when running with the ball, though Haskell/Vunipola/Robshaw, and even Farrell who is a good tackler will see him well protected. Powerful bench for England as well with Lawes who could really hurt us in the last 25.

Quite like Jack Nowell (despite the haircut), Yarde probably unlucky but didn't really show anything super special that demanded he be selected again. Applying the same criteria to he Aussie team should have seen Arnold dropped from the squad altogether and back to club rugby.

Hopefully we get a free-flowing game with good handling to minimise the scrums, the less of them the better given the shenanigans that have gone on (from both sides)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The way we pick rep teams at age group level in New Zealand is "who made no mistakes".
Disagree. We pick the players that stand out.

New Zealand's coaching and development advantage over the rest of the world is in the 18-23 age range IMO.