• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to Russia 2018

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Not sure if I've made this up but I seem to remember that South America is the only continent that won't get more qualification spots for 2022 as well which is crazy when you consider the teams that could miss out this year.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if I've made this up but I seem to remember that South America is the only continent that won't get more qualification spots for 2022 as well which is crazy when you consider the teams that could miss out this year.
I think you made it up. The increase isn't until 2226. South America get six places instead of four and a play-off. Oceania get one slot instead of just a play-off. Australia might be tempted back to where they belong as they'd be a good bet for the one spot now there's a guaranteed place.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Quotas will be the same in 2018 and 2022. Brazil got the home spot in 2014, which means South America seem to lose spots since that World Cup.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
So England have qualified and Scotland are nicely set up for last ditch failure. Should be celebrating but we are so bad there seems little point.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So England have qualified and Scotland are nicely set up for last ditch failure. Should be celebrating but we are so bad there seems little point.
Bad but qualified comfortably in the end.

In the meantime Argentina are in serious danger of missing out and although France will likely still qualify they drew 0-0 at home to Luxembourg but that seems to go unnoticed.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Bad but qualified comfortably in the end.

In the meantime Argentina are in serious danger of missing out and although France will likely still qualify they drew 0-0 at home to Luxembourg but that seems to go unnoticed.
It probably hasn’t gone unnoticed in their respective countries.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Ronaldo is most likely going to get 100 international goals. Only five off the record for European/South American players as it is. What a staggeringly complete career.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Feel a bit sorry for Switzerland having won their first 9 matches and still have to avoid defeat in Portugal to qualify. Holland need a mathematical improbability to make the playoffs, though in a group with France and Sweden I suspect there’s many a team that will qualify that wouldn’t have got out of that group.