• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He is just brilliant. Clearly the best male around at present, only an inspired Stan beat him to deny him a Grand Slam at the US which he surely will be a strong favourite for.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mate and I debating 2011 vs. 2015 Novak. He doesn't have the God mode highs of 2011, but he's damn close to hitting that level again.

Difference is in 2011 he was knocking off Rafa when he was at his peak, whereas here he's not facing the same quality Rafa.

Both in 2011 and 2015 it took super human fforts from Fed and Stan to beat him at Roland Garros (in 2011 he'd still obviously have to have beaten Rafa next)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Being too young to properly remeber Connors, McEnroe, Borg etc... but having seen Becker, Lendl and Edberg it has to be said it is a privilege to be around in the Federer, Nadal and Djokovic era and before them have seen Sampras and Agassi. It might be a little boring seeing the same few guys win the majority of grand slams in the last 10 years but boy do they do do it in style.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Being too young to properly remeber Connors, McEnroe, Borg etc... but having seen Becker, Lendl and Edberg it has to be said it is a privilege to be around in the Federer, Nadal and Djokovic era and before them have seen Sampras and Agassi. It might be a little boring seeing the same few guys win the majority of grand slams in the last 10 years but boy do they do do it in style.
This. As great as Becker and Sampras were, this lot plays some special tennis. Even the volleys (when they do happen) aren't that far off.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hmmm... I don't know about that. I'll admit that I didn't grow up watching tennis before the 21st century but I know there was nobody like Rafa in the Sampras era. Nadal was almost a Demigod at Roland Garros and clay in general. I mean if we actually measure players based on the number of titles instead of level of competition, if not for Nadal, Fed would probably be challenging Connors for the number of tennis titles already.

That's not to say other ATG players didn't have tough rivals in their era too. But Rafa against Fed is a special one given their H2H record. I know their age difference has played a part in it, but regardless, he has caused Federer a lot of misery in his career, and not just in clay. I mean, is there any other ATG player in tennis that's been caused as much misery by another player as Fed has by by Rafa?
Rafa v Thomas Muster or Gustavo Kuerten on clay would have been pretty good tbh and Rafa could have lost v them really.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Federer was playing well really. His serve has been his strength but Djokovic was getting the better of the serve from the second set on. Can't believe Federer is playing this level of tennis right now.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yah, saw this coming. Federer is still a beast over 3 sets, but doesn't have the power and stamina to foot it with Djoko over 5 any more. Well done to box-head, undoubtedly the world's best.