• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
Wow. If anybody seriously thinks Federer doesn't have what it takes to dominate on faster courts anymore after watching that, they are just being outright stupid.

Novak might still be too good for him though. He did beat him on faster courts in Shanghai and Dubai but they are obviously not 5 setters. I'm hoping he does just to keep Tennis interesting. Cause let's face it, Murray and Wawrinka aint filling the void left by Nadal. At the very least I'm hoping he doesn't get crushed in 3 sets.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
One thing that's surprised me this tournament is how good Roddick has been in the box/studio.
this. didn't expect much from him but he's been good.

hope fed plays like he did today on Sunday. would back fed if he does but against Novak it'll be so ****ing hard.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Wow. If anybody seriously thinks Federer doesn't have what it takes to dominate on faster courts anymore after watching that, they are just being outright stupid.

Novak might still be too good for him though. He did beat him on faster courts in Shanghai and Dubai but they are obviously not 5 setters. I'm hoping he does just to keep Tennis interesting. Cause let's face it, Murray and Wawrinka aint filling the void left by Nadal. At the very least I'm hoping he doesn't get crushed in 3 sets.
Yeah, I'm a bit worried that it will be too comfortable for Novak on Sunday. Not that I have anything against him, but I admire Federer so much it would be a shame to see him lose heavily.

As for Murray, obvs he's a minor miracle as British tennis goes, but there's still lots of daylight between him and the very best.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Djokovic has been really good at finding ways to dominate tennis and then not win the slam everyone thinks he'll win. On fire Federer with the crowd behind him is definitely capable of adding to the list.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Yeah, I'm a bit worried that it will be too comfortable for Novak on Sunday. Not that I have anything against him, but I admire Federer so much it would be a shame to see him lose heavily.

As for Murray, obvs he's a minor miracle as British tennis goes, but there's still lots of daylight between him and the very best.
i think he played extremely well today, if it was anyone else he would have won quite easily

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From where I am standing, Djoko will need to play a blinder to beat Federer. Roger is playing like a dream, especially with the angles. Have loved this run. Never thought Murray was going to beat him.

grecian

Which is why its crazy to think Novak vs. Muzz was so certain!
Is that what Anil said, bit odd, never write off Fed on grass. I still don't think Murray is a natural grass-courter, he's done very well on it, but hard courts are his best I reckon, same as Novak.

Just so few proper S&Vers around today.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
i think he played extremely well today, if it was anyone else he would have won quite easily
Sure, but that's my point really. Guys like Federer and Novak just have that bit extra on most occasions. Ditto Nadal when he was still at his peak.

That's not really a criticism of Murray. Anyone who comes through the British tennis system to achieve what he has achieved deserves plenty of praise. And it certainly isn't his fault that he's not quite on the same level as an ATG.

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
Djokovic has been really good at finding ways to dominate tennis and then not win the slam everyone thinks he'll win. On fire Federer with the crowd behind him is definitely capable of adding to the list.
I mean it's Federer on one of the fastest courts on tour ffs. No way you can say he doesn't have a pretty decent shot at least.

Is that what Anil said, bit odd, never write off Fed on grass. I still don't think Murray is a natural grass-courter, he's done very well on it, but hard courts are his best I reckon, same as Novak.

Just so few proper S&Vers around today.
But different types of hard courts though. Novak is almost unstoppable on slow hards and I don't think even has any challengers apart from Wawrinka. Murray's best game I think is on fast hards like USO. Hard courts are more diverse than clay and grass so you can't expect 1 player to dominate all.

grecian

I mean it's Federer on one of the fastest courts on tour ffs. No way you can say he doesn't have a pretty decent shot at least.

But different types of hard courts though. Novak is almost unstoppable on slow hards and I don't think even has any challengers apart from Wawrinka. Murray's best game I think is on fast hards like USO. Hard courts are more diverse than clay and grass so you can't expect 1 player to dominate all.
Yep, not arguing with any of that, courts are a bit homogenized nowadays though, think Fed would probably be on his tenth Wimbledon on the old courts TBH. May not have won the French though, even once, like Sampras.

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
Yep, not arguing with any of that, courts are a bit homogenized nowadays though, think Fed would probably be on his tenth Wimbledon on the old courts TBH. May not have won the French though, even once, like Sampras.
Hmmm... I don't know about that. I'll admit that I didn't grow up watching tennis before the 21st century but I know there was nobody like Rafa in the Sampras era. Nadal was almost a Demigod at Roland Garros and clay in general. I mean if we actually measure players based on the number of titles instead of level of competition, if not for Nadal, Fed would probably be challenging Connors for the number of tennis titles already.

That's not to say other ATG players didn't have tough rivals in their era too. But Rafa against Fed is a special one given their H2H record. I know their age difference has played a part in it, but regardless, he has caused Federer a lot of misery in his career, and not just in clay. I mean, is there any other ATG player in tennis that's been caused as much misery by another player as Fed has by by Rafa?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
What is it about the indoor courts that allow Djokovic to do so well? Aren't they effectively fast hard courts?
In addition to playing quicker than the hard courts, the bounce is also more predictable; Federer works more on instinct and momentary flashes of genius, so theoretically he should do better on grass than indoor hard.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i think we underestimate just how good federer is on clay, there is no comparison between him and sampras on the surface...a rafa-less world would have federer closing in on borg's record of french open wins at this point, he is that good on the surface...his performances on clay are overshadowed by two factors both related to rafa, one is how much better nadal is on clay compared to anyone in history and the 2nd is nadal's psychological stranglehold on roger...

Last edited:

grecian

i think we underestimate just how good federer is on clay, there is no comparison between him and sampras on the surface...a rafa-less world would have federer closing in on borg's record of french open wins at this point, he is that good on the surface...his performances on clay are overshadowed by two factors both related to rafa, one is how much better nadal is on clay compared to anyone in history and the 2nd is nadal's psychological stranglehold on roger...
Well we'll have to agree to disagree, the old clay courts were puddings, Mcenroe who was a great shot-maker couldn't win on them, because he liked to cut points short, and serve and volley. Roger has been great on these clay courts, but they're not the same as the old ones IMHO.

We'll never know of course, but the surfaces were so different in the old days it was ridiculous. Mac, Connors, Becker, Edberg, Sampras so many failed. I'm giving Fed more titles on grass under the old courts, but I'll take away the one on clay. He'd have done maybe even better at the Oz to, even though their grass was a bit different.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think Ivan Lendl must look at the current grass courts with envy. I'd give him Becker's first two titles and definitely Pat Cash's and maybe one of Edberg's.

grecian

I think Ivan Lendl must look at the current grass courts with envy. I'd give him Becker's first two titles and definitely Pat Cash's and maybe one of Edberg's.
Yep, but Mac may have beaten him in the French with their new clay courts, I was so gutted at that match.