• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
No market forces determine the split of prize money.
Technically yes but in reality no. If you look at the womens prize money much earlier in tennis, it was far lower in comparison to the men. But as women have had more people watching them, they have had the weight of the market forces to demand higher prize money and now demanding equal prize money for quite some time.

The doubles and mixed doubles have lower prize money as no one watches them. Bring in the top players to play doubles every yeard for 3-5 years (as ATP is trying to do with its stupid rule changes in doubles) and you will see the prize money in doubles rise as well.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Agent TBY said:
And not just a physical powerhouse who can blow the others away.
he does blow people away with his versatility....he has power as well as finesse....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
roseboy64 said:
Is it just me or does ot seem like Roddick is prepared with those quotes?
you think so? i thought his quotes in the interview immediately after the match were quite natural....i don't know about the subsequent interviews but whether they are rehearsed or not, can't really argue with the content... :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Can't be bothered to replying to each of the posts by Sanz, but there's no way Venus should get any near as much money as Federer..
Keep Dreaming, the gap is getting less day by day. It's (Equal Pay) already there at Aus & US open, French open is awefully close, Wimbledon will get there one day.

For a start Federer plays 5 sets, Venus 3.
Really, the finals I saw, there Venus Played more games than Federer. You must have watched some other Wimbledon. Moreover Venus doesn't decide how many sets she has to play.

Venus is inferior in every department to Federer.
So are ever other male player in Tennis, so they should be paid less as well ?

It's like giving a go-karting champion the same amount of money as a formula 1 champion.
Funny, only people who seemed like doing Go-Karting in the Wimbledon SemiFinals and Finals were Hewitt and Roddick.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
...errr...maybe because he is that superb and that complete a player...??? 8-)
Are you sure ?? Federer is good, but is he better than Sampras, Agassi, Rafter of 90s, I doubt it. Does he face the competition Sampras faced throughout his career. NO.

Is it because he is just that good,NO, it is because Roddick, Hewitt, Safin etc aren't as good as Agassi, Rafter etc. When Sampras played there were many amazing players(both young and old) who would do remarkebly well on grass Edberg, Becker, Krajecek, Henmen, Goran, Sampras, Rosset, Scud, Martin. Federer doesn't have to face the opponents of that quality on any surface except clay.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
For a start they play a hell of a lot less Tennis.
Last time I watched Wimbledon Finals, there women played more games than the men. It was more competive and more entertaining.

In the mens final there was only one guy who was playing Tennis, the other guy was just there helping the ball boys. :p

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ur basing ur opinion on one match, if u look at the last century of wimbledon finals i guarantee the men have played more games in the final than the women did at least 90% of the time...

biased indian

International Coach
Sanz said:
Last time I watched Wimbledon Finals, there women played more games than the men. It was more competive and more entertaining.

In the mens final there was only one guy who was playing Tennis, the other guy was just there helping the ball boys. :p
but they had to play more games to reach the finals tha the women did :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
ur basing ur opinion on one match, if u look at the last century of wimbledon finals i guarantee the men have played more games in the final than the women did at least 90% of the time...
My opinion wasn't based on that particular tournament, that was just an example. To make things more fair, shouldn't it be something like, 'you will get paid more money if you played more games..' After all why should Federer get more money for playing same no. of sets or less no. of games in the finals than Venus ? What was his contribution in those 90 % games where men played more games than women, why should he benefit for the games other men played ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:
but they had to play more games to reach the finals tha the women did :)
Well then roddick played more games as well, then why not pay him more as well ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz I am a big big big Pat Rafter fan, but I honestly don't believe he is as good as Federer. Seriously look at the shots that man plays. Commentators like McEnroe and John Newcombe have seen all the great players of the past few decades, and give immense praise to Federer. There's a reason for that.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jono said:
Sanz I am a big big big Pat Rafter fan, but I honestly don't believe he is as good as Federer. Seriously look at the shots that man plays. Commentators like McEnroe and John Newcombe have seen all the great players of the past few decades, and give immense praise to Federer. There's a reason for that.
yeh ill agree with that too... Federer has already won 5 grand slams and hes 23, Pat Rafter won 2 in his whole career...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Man, I cannot believe it has come down to this........ Federer being compared to Rafter.... You know, Sanz, maybe it looks as though he has no competition but let me tell you.....Safin and Nadal are as good as any guy who has played tennis in the 90s barring Sampras and perhaps, Agassi. YOu are the first person, at least in my experience of watching and talking Tennis, that has suggested that Federer is not even 'great'. Guys like Sampras, Boris, Edberg, Courier, Mcenroe, Borg, Connors etc have all said that he could be "the most complete tennis player" since Laver... Some have even called him potentially the greatest..... He is just so damn good that he makes the others look very inferior to him....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
yes specially since wimbledon has moved on too.. to bigger things like being the venue of tennis in the olympics in 2012!