• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Can't really argue with you there, I still like him. Quite a big fan of Henman's, but I'd never bank on him winning one, or even say the words "Henman can win this major".
A big fan,huh??? with those words ending your post...weird

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
He's such a maligned player - amazing how in spite of all the comments he's been there ot thereabouts in the World Rankings for such a while.
I call Tim the AA of Tennis...talented and not doing justice to the talent...

Wonder why I like such people...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hmm i dunno about that, Tim has won a couple of tournaments and has been in the top 10 a lot... AA is just... well AA, enough said...

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
broncoman said:
hmm i dunno about that, Tim has won a couple of tournaments and has been in the top 10 a lot... AA is just... well AA, enough said...
First of all Tim has won lot more than couple of tournaments... :p

And as he does manage to stay in the top ten,so does AA manage to stay in the Indian team with fairly good performances over 8 years...207 ODI wickets...hmm...not bad

By the way,you are right...AA is just,well AA

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
Didn't Henman make the semis of the French Open last year?
Yeah but so did Sampras once. Henman isnt as comfortable on clay as he is in hardcourts or grass.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Anil said:
how would he complete the slam by winning the french? even if he had won the australian which he didn't, he would only be half-way to completing the slam...
By competing the slam I meant completing the career slam of winning the all four titles. Only 5 men have done it in the open era I think, the last being Agassi.

The winning of all four slams in a year is called the Grand Slam

Winning all four slams and the Olympic gold medal in the same year is called the Golden grand slam. Only Graf has ever done it (in 1988)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Henman isnt as comfortable on clay as he is in hardcourts or grass.
Which made his efforts last year all the better.

Mind you even then he managed to do his usual getting on top the blowing it tactic.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Which made his efforts last year all the better.

Mind you even then he managed to do his usual getting on top the blowing it tactic.
Yes no one is denying Henman credit for reaching the semis.

Simon

he hasnt played a lot from memory, he hasnt made any impact in the masters series...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Yeah but so did Sampras once. Henman isnt as comfortable on clay as he is in hardcourts or grass.
Thanks Captain Obvious. My point was more to the fact, if you can that far on a surface then you are just as much chance of winning it as the other 127 competitors in the competition. The fact that he has made the 2nd week in just about every grand slam tournament he has played means he has the ability, but he rarely converts that to performance. To say he can't win it is going a bit too far, to say he is unlikely is more like it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
Thanks Captain Obvious. My point was more to the fact, if you can that far on a surface then you are just as much chance of winning it as the other 127 competitors in the competition. The fact that he has made the 2nd week in just about every grand slam tournament he has played means he has the ability, but he rarely converts that to performance. To say he can't win it is going a bit too far, to say he is unlikely is more like it.
I had said

Pratyush said:
Henman isnt very comfortable on clay and it would be a HUGE surprise if he manages to beat Federer if Henman does infact manage to reach the quarters.
I never said in the lines of CANT win the French :) Any thing is indeed possible in sport and I wouldnt go that far. I did go on the 'unlikely' lines when i said it would be a huge surprise.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
I had said

I never said in the lines of CANT win the French :) Any thing is indeed possible in sport and I wouldnt go that far. I did go on the 'unlikely' lines when i said it would be a huge surprise.
Fair enough. I can't be expected to go back and read 7 pages and see where the trail of comments started. I was simply replying to your one post.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
...which will be a great achievement no doubt, but still wouldn't be completing the slam because it means winning all 4 slams in one calendar year... :)
I think if you win all the four in a row, it is considered a slam. ( I guess they changed the difinition recently)

Simon

a true grand slam is all 4 in the same calender year, winning all 4 in your career is also called the grand slam, pretty stupid i know, but what can u do...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I think if you win all the four in a row, it is considered a slam. ( I guess they changed the difinition recently)
the definition is a little hazy nowadays....i was talking about the original meaning of the grand slam(a.k.a the slam)....