• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marcos worth a dabble i would fancy.

I love grand slams, great time to slap a few accumulators on at the TAB.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dont see Murray being able to win the consecutive matches required for a grand slam event at this stage of his career. I know they both got beaten recently but I really cant see past Federer and Nadal I think their domanance of grand slams will stretch to 7 straight grand slam events. Would be really nice if someone else won but it hasnt happened since the start of last year.

Ivan Ljubecic may be worth an outside bet though, number 3 in the world and very consistant if Federer or Nadal slip up he should be capable of winning it.

Last edited:

_Ed_

benchmark00 said:
Marcos worth a dabble i would fancy.

I love grand slams, great time to slap a few accumulators on at the TAB.
Wonderful things those accumulators.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
i think roddick will get to the final.......should be some good tennis. and there are some big juicy odds

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Henman v Rusedki in the 1st round for the right to have their backside served up to them by Our Rodge in the 2nd.

Murray seeded for the first time too.

EDIT: how come Murray's odds are so tight? I could see it over here, what with the patriotic pound, but in Oz? Does he get much support over there?!

Simon

BoyBrumby said:
Henman v Rusedki in the 1st round for the right to have their backside served up to them by Our Rodge in the 2nd.

Murray seeded for the first time too.

EDIT: how come Murray's odds are so tight? I could see it over here, what with the patriotic pound, but in Oz? Does he get much support over there?!
well he's been in good form, made the semis of a masters series last week and beat Federer along the way...

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Farewell Andre Agassi

Here,although being a Cricket forum,we appreciate all great sportsmen...and so I thought he deserved a thread.

Andre Agassi,winner of all four grand slams...a twenty year glittering career...etc etc. All said and done. But what I'd like here is your thoughts on one of the legends of Sports.

For me, it was his initial Rock-star look and attitude that made me his fan...Then there were his returns that left even the best and biggest servers shell-shocked.

So much to say but I am speechless being too sad that we have to say Good-bye to him on court...Wishing him Happiness in his life!

pasag

RTDAS
Sad to see him go. A true champion of the sport and the amount he accomplished over the years is phenomenal. He will be missed on the court.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great player. I'm no tennis expert but he came alomg at a very important time in tennis when it was threatening to be overpowered by the big guys with huge serves like Becker, Stich, Edberg & Ivanisevic. Agassi could return a serve like no one I've ever seen before & became the first player since Laver (IIRC) to win all four gand slams.

Bit of an anti-climax for mine, it would've been more fitting if he'd gone out to more of a name than Benjamin Becker. Seeing him play yesterday tho it was apparent his back had finally betrayed him.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Great player. I'm no tennis expert but he came alomg at a very important time in tennis when it was threatening to be overpowered by the big guys with huge serves like Becker, Stich, Edberg & Ivanisevic. Agassi could return a serve like no one I've ever seen before & became the first player since Laver (IIRC) to win all four gand slams.

Bit of an anti-climax for mine, it would've been more fitting if he'd gone out to more of a name than Benjamin Becker. Seeing him play yesterday tho it was apparent his back had finally betrayed him.
sorry to nitpick, but he did not really have a huge serve like the others mentioned here....:)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
BoyBrumby said:
Great player. I'm no tennis expert but he came alomg at a very important time in tennis when it was threatening to be overpowered by the big guys with huge serves..
Yeah. The Wimbledon win epitomises that - the grand slam most people would have backed Agassi least likely to win at that stage.

Another aspect by which Agassi made the game richer for me - the great character and class person that he was whether it was the rebel stage or the substance phase (as people call those phases). And yet another aspect - he complemented Sampras superbly in the rivalry which promises so much. A lot of people started watching tennis back then and gaining newer audiences for the sport is always a big feat for me. I read some where that some one watched the Agassi-Becker game yesterday and will start watching men's tennis more now. While that may or may not hold good in the future, it just shows how superb Agassi really was.

Piper

International Captain
I have to admit that when he was knocked out of the USO i did have a little cry. Im gonna miss watching his game, gonna miss having a personality like his in Tennis. He is such a sporting legend. Its just sad that the reason he retired was because of injury, but i dont think he would have won another Grand Slam tho. Thanks for the memories Andre!

Steulen

International Regular
When he first came on the scene with his glamrock looks and drivel about being a Christian I thought he was a complete tosser and I disliked him immensely...even to the point of supporting Michael Stich when he played against Agassi (so it was really bad). In the last part of his career, though, I've come to really appreciate his way of playing (being the only one to make the big servers look really foolish) and his never-say-die-but-in-a-friendly-way attitude. Publicy goofing up when trying to get wife Steffie play doubles with him in a Grand Slam was the highlight of tennis of the last few years.

Without him, tennis will become really boring really fast...it's not a game anymore, it's become an artillery battle.