Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2012

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    a couple of stages ago team sky just ****ing blew the peloton apart leaving evans basically isolated, and then evans tried to steal some time and froome flew past him like he was a bug. It's a bit like Evans v the Schlecks over all again, except these two can actually time trial. I'd love to say Evans is still in a good position and what not, but a mixture of a favourable course for wiggins and a team that's suss as **** (Froome? who the **** is he? Rogers? didn't he say he was quitting grand tours after 2010?! since when has wiggins been able to beat cancellara by 50 seconds in a TT?) makes it pretty hard to do so. I don't see Wiggins being isolated very often. team sky will be the guys setting the pace up the mountain. good luck getting away from there evans. he's basically relying on pinching time on descents, cause that's about the only sky/wiggins weakness available to exploit.

of course, it is early, and hell the descents could change everything, and I'd love to repeat almost all my previous form when i make serious posts, but man i just don't see how you can be anything but horribly pessimistic about evans. we're on the first rest day and the favourite has yellow, is almost up 2 minutes on the next favourite, and all the other team leaders are basically out of it. the chief domestique for wiggins is 3rd, and they've both just thrashed the man considered to be the best TTer in the world...and there's another TT to go. The 2nd favourite is left having to do something fairly foreign to him in the tour - make up time climbing
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    On the plus side, all the other team leaders being toast, evans having to attack like hell to get back into it, and the extraordinary performance by Sky means the race should be fairly exciting despite the seemingly inevitable conclusion....and leaves a fair bit to discuss...

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Plus side for you chaps is that Wiggins's old man was a crim, so you can bask in his reflected glory too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    On the plus side, all the other team leaders being toast, evans having to attack like hell to get back into it, and the extraordinary performance by Sky means the race should be fairly exciting despite the seemingly inevitable conclusion....and leaves a fair bit to discuss...
    I think that this is my point

If they have any ambition, they will have to attack and try to break him (30 seconds per day wont cut it as there is still another time trial to come)

Fortunately, there are now a number of stages coming up that traditionally dont suit him (unlike the first week and a bit) so it could still be very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Plus side for you chaps is that Wiggins's old man was a crim, so you can bask in his reflected glory too.
    And 2 of the main guys in his team that will be expected to protect him in the mountains are Aussies

Would be an unbelievable victory for Wiggins as an Aussie only won for the first time last year - that puts Wiggins about 20 years ahead of the usual schedule for Brits

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Not really into the road cycling/tours but love it at Olympics. Will be a massive achievement if Wiggins wins it. He obviously is favourite now but you can't take anything for granted in sport.

Scary thing is that in a few weeks time him and Cavendish will be looking for Olympic gold and be one of the favourites. Some fitness involved in these guys, probably the fittest sports stars in the world.
    Last edited by flibbertyjibber; 10-07-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Not really into the road cycling/tours but love it at Olympics. Will be a massive achievement if Wiggins wins it. He obviously is favourite now but you can't take anything for granted in sport.

Scary thing is that in a few weeks time him and Cavendish will be looking for Olympic gold and be one of the favourites. Some fitness involved in these guys, probably the fittest sports stars in the world.
    A few years ago, a study was performed by the AIS iirc into relative fitness levels of athletes in different sports and professional cyclists ranked 2nd and were well above those below them

In first place, and literally off the richter scale by comparison, were world championship level boxers - not surprising when you consider that boxing requires endurance, explosive power, works every part of the body and requires the ability to perform whilsthaving some guy trying to beat the **** out of you
    Last edited by social; 10-07-2012 at 09:42 AM.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I agree with the point that both of them are totally incredible atheletes, but it's a totally different type of fitness that you can't really compare. Stick each of them in the other's sport and I doubt they'd last 5 seconds fitness wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I agree with the point that both of them are totally incredible atheletes, but it's a totally different type of fitness that you can't really compare. Stick each of them in the other's sport and I doubt they'd last 5 seconds fitness wise.
    Yeah exactly. If that study really did exist, it's the most ridiculous thing of all time. There are so many different types of fitness.

Think it's pretty commonly accepted that cyclists have a lower resting heart rate than most other types of athletes though.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Boxers would last (obviously not at the pace) as they train for endurance and leg strength is focused upon because it is integral to punching power

Cyclists would be no hope in boxing
    Last edited by social; 10-07-2012 at 12:47 PM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Nor would pace bowlers, they would get injured too quickly.

Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Boxers would last (obviously not at the pace) as they train for endurance and leg strength is focused upon because it is integral to punching power

Lol the type of leg strength require in boxing and that required in cycling is fundamentally different. See what happens when you stick ****ing Mike Tyson on a stage of any pro race. He'd probably last about a mile.

Lol the type of leg strength require in boxing and that required in cycling is fundamentally different. See what happens when you stick ****ing Mike Tyson on a stage of any pro race. He'd probably last about a mile.
    Despite the fact that most world-class boxers run up to 10 miles every morning, Tyson wouldnt be a distance athlete for sure

But then again, neither is Mark "water boy on anything other than dead flat" Cavendish

However, look at Tyson as a youngster - an incredibly explosive athlete with great endurance

Saying he couldnt last a mile is just nonsense
    Last edited by social; 10-07-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Curveball Champion!
    Running bears zero resemblance to cycling. Elite cyclists are notoriously useless at running, The level of conditioning required to compete on a remotely similar level to a professional cyclist is absolutely incredible and is only gained by doing one thing; cycling for 100s and 100s of miles. You can run as much as you like, you would still be fairly useless at cycling because of the muscles involved.

Obviously nonsense about Cavendish as well. He's completed several grand tours which are just about the most physically demanding professional activity there is, with regards to endurance, in respectable times. Just because you aren't challenging for the GC doesn't mean that you don't have to have a superhuman level of endurance to finish a grand tour.

Whatever you say, the type of endurance needed for Tyson over a 12 round in less than an hour boxing match is so obviously different to cycling 3000km in 3 weeks that I can't seriously believe I'm having this argument with someone. It's so painfully clear.

Just for the record, I'm not trying to put down boxers in any way, just making the point that it's a really ****ing stupid comparison to make because the sports are so massively different.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Think it's pretty commonly accepted that cyclists have a lower resting heart rate than most other types of athletes though.
    the lowest guy I can remember, maybe beaten now, was brad beven the triathlete.

hawaii ironmen the fittest imo
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information