• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commonwealth Games

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This reminds me of that episode of The Games when the Dream Team manager came out and said to John Clarke "If you don't get 5 star hotels for my clients, they won't come to your event".

"Well Al, don't you worry about how my event will go. Here's my opening position for you, though I realize we're still negotiating...

Your clients will stay where they're put, when they're put there. They'll eat what they're given, when they're given it. And if they don't like it they can stick it up their arses".

Craig

World Traveller
I see that a lot of the British cyclists have pulled out. One of them Geriant Thomas, a Welshman pulled since he lost his spleen in a nasty crash a few years ago and therefore the risk of getting very sick is high.

benchmark00

Who cares if some English 'athletes' pull out. Not like they were going to win many medals anyway.

shivfan

Banned
Or maybe you could actually read the reports as to why they've pulled out. 8-)
I know why they pulled out....

It was a tongue-in-cheek remark made to another poster about Jamaican athletes pulling out for their 'rest' period. British athletes choose to 'rest' during the CWG too....
:cool:
The English team is on its way....

BBC Sport - England team set to travel to Commonwealth Games

And the Jamaican squad will be going too....

JA to attend problem-plagued Commonwealth Games | RJR News

James

Cricket Web Owner
What I fail to understand is, why is this suddenly being raised a week out from the tournament?

Shouldn't the Commonwealth Games Committee or whoever they are have been checking on progress from Day 1 and ensuring everything was getting done to standard?

Daemon

What I fail to understand is, why is this suddenly being raised a week out from the tournament?

Shouldn't the Commonwealth Games Committee or whoever they are have been checking on progress from Day 1 and ensuring everything was getting done to standard?
Live in India for a month or two and you'll understand. 8-)

_Ed_

Even so, the international Commonwealth Games committee should have been piling on the pressure for the last 18 months to two years. There were rumours that construction was well behind schedule back then.

They could have considered moving the Games if construction hadn't picked up by a certain date, say, six or nine months ago.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Yeah, they're not free of blame here. The ones raising the issue now are the delegations being sent in by the various participating countries too, not the commonwealth officials, if I'm not mistaken.

Daemon

I honestly can't wait for the games to begin. Everyone will be watching not for competitiveness between athletes but rather in anticipation of something going seriously wrong. And when that moment comes, I don't know where a million Indians including me will be burying our faces.

Daemon

On second thought, if it involves death/injury I pray that the games are a success

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe not the correct place to post this but I was talking to some British people (I will not mention their jobs) over a beer (and this is just their personal opinion and certainly not any official position) and they said while it is impossible to accurately assess the risk that they both personally think a terrorist attack during the London Olympics is 2012 is more likely that not.

That is a little worrying.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, they're not free of blame here. The ones raising the issue now are the delegations being sent in by the various participating countries too, not the commonwealth officials, if I'm not mistaken.
Commonwealth officials can do very little except to consistently point out issues. They have been doing so for almost an entire year.

Craig

World Traveller

Don't you guys have laws against this kind of stuff? Or you do, but they're token, just like North Korea holding elections.

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
It's a disgrace. Child labour in India is unfortunately very common. The sentiment is changing but throughout history, children from extremely poor backgrounds have always worked to support their families often because they are able bodied and willing to do just about anything. It's a damn shame that these kids aren't getting an education but are mere puppets for corrupt government officials and dodgy businessses.