Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spain vs France: World & European Champions.

Spain vs France: World & European Champions.

SPAIN:

-----------------------------Casillas--------------------------------------

Ramos-----------------Pique-----------Puyol--------------------Capedevilla

----------------------Busquets/Senna-----Alonso--------------------------

------------------------------Xavi----------------------------------------

---Iniesta--------------------------------------------------Villa-----------

-----------------------------Torres---------------------------------------

Backups: Reina, Valdes, Arbeloa, Marchena, Fabregas, Silva, Pedro, Guiza/Llorente

FRANCE:

-----------------------------Barthez--------------------------------------

Thuram----------------Desailly----------Blanc---------------------Lizarazu

--------------Vieira----------Deschamps------Petit------------------------

-------------------------------Zidane-------------------------------------

--------------------Henry------------Treseguet/Duggary-------------------

Lama, Rame/Coupet, Lebouf, Candella, Sangol, Karembeau, Makelele, Pires, Djorkaeff, Wiltord

As most would know Spain becoming world & Euro champions together have emulated France from a decade earlier..Spain have the superior depth, but if these two could have met at their peaks in a hypotetical match-up. I reckon Spain would struggle to break France down.

Spain are bascially the Barcelona of international football. To stop Barca @ club Level you need team who can shut down their mid-field passing & have a strike force who can take advantage of any mistake they make on counter-attacks. Like what United did in CL 07/08 semis - Chelsea (to a degree in the 08/09) semi - Inter Milan this year.

Vieira/Deschamps/Petit at their peaks would make it extremely hard for Xavi & co to control the midfield play i'd say.

The difference between the two is that the France side which won Euro 2000 was vastly different, and vastly superior to the side which won the World Cup.

Your France side combines both - at no time did the side you've listed play together anywhere near its peak.

Dugarry wasn't a fixture, and how the hell you've managed to exclude Djorkaeff from the starting XI is beyond me.

vcs
    Spain for me, just.

I doubt they'd care but their World Cup performances (bar perhaps the SF) just didn't do justice to their ability. I'm giving it to them based on their utter dominance in the qualifiers and friendlies (they've lost only 2 games or something in 4 years). What did France's corresponding record look like in that period?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    The difference between the two is that the France side which won Euro 2000 was vastly different, and vastly superior to the side which won the World Cup.

Your France side combines both - at no time did the side you've listed play together anywhere near its peak.

Dugarry wasn't a fixture, and how the hell you've managed to exclude Djorkaeff from the starting XI is beyond me.
    Wasn't Dugarry a regular in 98? At least at the start of the tournament.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

vcs
    Didn't France in '98 have a centreforward who didn't score all tournament? Was that Dugarry? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Didn't France in '98 have a centreforward who didn't score all tournament? Was that Dugarry? Not sure.
    You're thinking of Stephane Guivarc'h.

Henry and Trezeguet got a couple of goals in the group stages, Dugarry came in for Zidane when he was banned in the knockout rounds.

They basically played that side EUR0 2000 Final FYI. I just altered it tactically for this hypotetical match-up because its Spain they are playing

France in Euro 2000 matchday 6

Camn down now. Firstly i didnt suggest Dugarry was a fixture, surely by putting Duggary/Tresguet meant it was clear either one could start in this hypotetical line-up.

Also as i said intially Spain are the Barcelona of international football, to beat Spain you have to do to them what Inter did to Barca last year. Which is preventing Xavi/Alonso/Iniesta much freedom in the mdi-field.

Theirfore with 3 serious defensive mid-fielders would be who can sorta of man mark those 3. Thus a creative player like Djorkaeff & even Pires would be sacrfices, thus in this hypotetical match-up, France has would have a great chance.

vcs
    You're thinking of Stephane Guivarc'h.

Henry and Trezeguet got a couple of goals in the group stages, Dugarry came in for Zidane when he was banned in the knockout rounds.
    Yep, that's the one. France's defenders contributed heavily with goals in that WC, Blanc scored a winner against Paraguay and who can forget Thurams' 2 in the SF.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    They basically played that side EUR0 2000 Final FYI. I just altered it tactically for this hypotetical match-up because its Spain they are playing

France in Euro 2000 matchday 6

Camn down now. Firstly i didnt suggest Dugarry was a fixture, surely by putting Duggary/Tresguet meant it was clear either one could start in this hypotetical line-up.

Also as i said intially Spain are the Barcelona of international football, to beat Spain you have to do to them what Inter did to Barca last year. Which is preventing Xavi/Alonso/Iniesta much freedom in the mdi-field.

Theirfore with 3 serious defensive mid-fielders would be who can sorta of man mark those 3. Thus a creative player like Djorkaeff & even Pires would be sacrfices, thus in this hypotetical match-up, France has would have a great chance.
    That's not how Inter beat them.

vcs
    Inter got their fair share of luck in beating Barcelona as well.

That's not how Inter beat them.
    That definately what Inter did. Especially in the 2nd leg. Inter were incredibly well drilled and disciplined and counter attacked ruthlessly

Xavi couldn't control the mid-filed given that Cambiasso/Motta where the perfect shield shield as DMs. While Messi was bullied out down the right by Morinho eruditely having Chivu/Zanetti on left. So Barca creativety was shut out.

Thus any chance Inter had they counter-attacked ruthlessly (the 1st leg) & buried it.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    That definately what Inter did. Especially in the 2nd leg. Inter were incredibly well drilled and disciplined and counter attacked ruthlessly

Xavi couldn't control the mid-filed given that Cambiasso/Motta where the perfect shield shield as DMs. While Messi was bullied out down the right by Morinho eruditely having Chivu/Zanetti on left. So Barca creativety was shut out.

Thus any chance Inter had they counter-attacked ruthlessly (the 1st leg) & buried it.
    No it wasn't. Xavi, Busquets and Keita were given the freedom of the midfield - if you doubt this check the possession and pass completion stats.

What Inter Milan did very well was to deny Barcelona any space in the final third to play intricate passes in behind them, and closed Messi down extremely well by doubling up on him.
    Last edited by Furball; 19-08-2010 at 01:08 PM.

vcs
    Xavi and Messi were ineffectual by their standards in the first leg, Inter deserved to win the first leg by a couple of goals. Barca were a hair's breadth (and some poor finishing) away from doing the same at the Camp Nou. Was a very even tie, Inter shaded it.

Oh god Aussie v Furball.

This is going to be dire.

Aussie you need to know that Furball knows everything about football and everyone that everyone who disagrees with him is stupid; he will let you know this in his erudite and ever so slightly smug manner.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    TBF though, GF is right re the Barca-Inter 2nd leg. It's pretty ridiculous to say that Barca didn't control the midfield. They damn near owned almost every blade of grass in that midfield. What were the possession stats, 80-20 or something like that?
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information