• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spain vs France: World & European Champions.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Erm.. european sides? 4 times? Not after WW2
Apologies, didn't realise we were talking post WW2. Was referring to Italy obv.

Sure they've been a joke recently but 2 world cup triumphs is the equal best haul for a Euro nation post WW2. Sure they never strung a Euro/WC victory back to back (I think) but neither did half the teams in your list.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Apologies, didn't realise we were talking post WW2. Was referring to Italy obv.

Sure they've been a joke recently but 2 world cup triumphs is the equal best haul for a Euro nation post WW2. Sure they never strung a Euro/WC victory back to back (I think) but neither did half the teams in your list.
Italy's winning sides have tended to be one offs that have clicked at the right time though, as opposed to great sides who did it consistently. The sides mentioned were excellent over at least 2 major tournaments.

Indipper

State Regular
Initial question: France. Maybe I'm biased cause France's glory reminds me of my Uni years and a time when it was still considered ok to hate the national team but for me they are just superior. And Spain just don't have that kind of team.

Ranking question: I'd put Hungary ahead of 70's West Germany, then Zidane's France, then Cruyff's Holland.

Also, Italy criminally underrated by you guys. Should have watched more Serie A highlights as lads.