• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ITM Cup 2010

ripper868

International Coach
Can you clue me in about the AFLs efforts to grow the sport in the rest of Aussie?
They must be trying right?
Yeah but so what, far as I know the short little fat kids who make up front rows the world over aren't terribly suited to AFL...that's Rugby's appeal...short fat unfit kids can make an impact...look at Matt Dunning for example.

Course they are trting, just as league/union/croquet is trying to expand their games as well.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd definitely be taking Fruean ahead of Sonny Bill at this stage. Too flaky in defense and not enough extra attacking flair to warrant a spot. I'd be looking at Jared Payne of Northland too. He's been superb this year. Would be a decent option in the squad as a utility back. Hika Elliott should definitely be the backup hooker with Hore injured.
I hadn't actually considered Payne as an All Black prospect but I agree thats hes been one of the stars of this year's competition and is highly versatile. I feel Rene Ranger, Colin Slade and Israel Dagg are enough to cover utility roles in the backline though personally. Should've also mentioned Jason Rutledge along with Elliot - surely at least one of those will make the tour as one of the reserve hookers.

5) I hope SBW is done with starting off the bench now. People on Radio Sport were hoeing into Rob Penney today for not starting SBW saying that Penney had tall poppy syndrome and weren't giving the public what they wanted. The way Counties and HB are playing at the moment SBW seems to have made the right call to go to Cantabs to play even if he doesn't get guaranteed starting time and even if he did have to play his way into the team. I think SBW will enjoy super rugby next year and this will be a better test for him.
I'll admit that SBW's 40 minutes were far better than Crotty's in the first half. In saying that I don't think the public have a right to demand that he plays; Penney coaches the players and knows their strengths and weaknesses and picks his side accordingly, not based on the fact that hes got a crowd pleaser which the audience wants to see. I think based on his and Crotty's respective performances against Wellington, SBW deserves to start next week, but I think performance alone should be the criteria rather than what the public demands.

The following is a confusing Rant.

I am peeved with Hawthorne I think it is - who are sponsoring an Aussie Rules promotion amongst NZ youngsters in the lower north island.

1) I can't stand aussie rules
2) leave our young talent alone and concentrate on converting sydney and other parts of Aussie to Aussie rules.
3) NZ dominates the world in one sport. Rugby. If we start getting distracted by Aussie rules and sending young athletes into that sport we are going to lose our competitiveness over time. I realise in reality that we only lose 4 or 5 quality athletes to another code. But I would rather not lose any.
4) Aussie rules people are allowed to love their game - but spread the gospel elsewhere not in my backyard. Seriously get the other states in Aussie to stop playing league and rugby. Spend your ill gotten gains there instead and convert them.
5) This year they have had 1300 NZ youngsters through their program. Schools should ban their program from coming into their schools. If I was a principal I would have no issue telling them to go home to Melbourne.
6) If I can be bothered I may either start an anti aussie rules face book page. Or if I get really bored I will write a letter to the NZRFU and have them use their influence with schools to put an end to this nonsense.:ph34r::ph34r:
I've never really followed AFL closely and unless I take up residency in Australia any time soon doubt I will. Any AFL promotion set up in New Zealand won't have any influence on my following of union, and TBH I doubt it'll also have any long term effect on players coming through rugby union systems to play at higher levels. I actually think the skills learnt from such a programme might be beneficial to rugby union (and indeed league) players, given it obviously requires a different skill set which rugby players could add to their attributes. To illustrate my point, from memory Nick Evans had some background in AFL.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Round Nine Results:
BoyBrumby 12
Voltman 12
Samuel_Vimes 12
Somerset 11
HeathDavisSpeed 10
Hurricane 10
Ripper868 9

Standings after Round Nine:
Samuel_Vimes 68
BoyBrumby 67
Somerset 67
Voltman 66
HeathDavisSpeed 65
Hurricane 63
Ripper868 53

Round Ten ITM Cup Fixtures:
Wellington vs Bay of Plenty
Auckland vs Hawkes Bay
Northland vs Waikato
Otago vs Canterbury
Taranaki vs Southland
Manawatu vs Tasman
Counties Manukau vs North Harbour

Round Six Heartland Championship Fixtures:
(don't seem to be available on the official site yet, will update when they're added)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hadn't actually considered Payne as an All Black prospect but I agree thats hes been one of the stars of this year's competition and is highly versatile. I feel Rene Ranger, Colin Slade and Israel Dagg are enough to cover utility roles in the backline though personally. Should've also mentioned Jason Rutledge along with Elliot - surely at least one of those will make the tour as one of the reserve hookers.
Yeah - can't believe I forgot Rutledge - he should definitely be in contention. Elliot and Rutledge offer two very contrasting styles as well, so there could be room for both.

It looked like Ranger pulled a hammy today. Not sure how bad it is, but could put him out of contention? Payne isn't a name that gets mentioned much in despatches, but he has been absolutely superb this season. I'm not sure how much he's been helped by playing in a backline that he knows so well and can rely on, but his name should be considered I reckon.

Did I see there was a Red Card for Fritz Lee earlier? A big hook around the neck of one of the Northland players? Lee had played pretty well in the first half, but I missed the 2nd.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the Lee tackle was a bit of a shocker - Hamilton only had him to beat and went to step inside him and Lee flung the arm out. One of the worst I've seen, although it certainly was more of a reflex action than genuine malice.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Did I see there was a Red Card for Fritz Lee earlier? A big hook around the neck of one of the Northland players? Lee had played pretty well in the first half, but I missed the 2nd.
Yup thats right, almost chopped the Northland reserve halfback's head off - was surprised Hamilton was able to get straight back to his feet. Deserved the red card, and it should've also been a penalty try IMO given he was the last line of defence and without the indiscretion Hamilton would've scored. That actually could be crucial at the end of the season since it would've given Northland a bonus point for four tries.

HeathDavisSpeed

Why the hell wasn't the penalty try given? I only saw a quick clip on the news earlier - enough to make out it was fairly close to the line, but not if there were any covering defenders around. It had been quite a fiery match in the first half with quite a bit riding on it for both teams

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Meads and Lochore Cup draws have finally been announced:

Meads Cup Week One
Wanganui vs Poverty Bay
Mid Canterbury vs Thames Valley
North Otago vs South Canterbury

Lochore Cup Week One
Wairarapa Bush vs West Coast
King Country vs East Coast
Horowhenua Kapiti vs Buller

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Auckland vs Hawkes Bay
Northland vs Waikato
Otago vs Canterbury
Taranaki vs Southland
Manawatu vs Tasman

Wanganui vs Poverty Bay

Lochore Cup Week One

HeathDavisSpeed

Auckland vs Hawkes Bay
Northland vs Waikato
Otago vs Canterbury
Taranaki vs Southland
Manawatu vs Tasman

Wanganui vs Poverty Bay

Lochore Cup Week One

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Round Nine Results:

Auckland vs Hawkes Bay
Northland vs Waikato
Otago vs Canterbury
Taranaki vs Southland
Manawatu vs Tasman
Meads and Lochore Cup draws have finally been announced:

Meads Cup Week One
Wanganui vs Poverty Bay

Lochore Cup Week One
@ Somerset I may edit the post - as I am undecided about some games.

ripper868

International Coach
Auckland vs Hawkes Bay
Northland vs Waikato
Otago vs Canterbury
Taranaki vs Southland
Manawatu vs Tasman

Meads Cup Week One
Wanganui vs Poverty Bay

Lochore Cup Week One

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Wellington
Auckland
Waikato
Canterbury
Southland
Manawatu
Counties Manukau

Wanganui
Mid Canterbury
North Otago

Wairarapa Bush
King Country
Horowhenua Kapiti

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Auckland vs Hawkes Bay
Northland vs Waikato
Otago vs Canterbury
Taranaki vs Southland
Manawatu vs Tasman

Meads Cup Week One

Wanganui vs Poverty Bay

Lochore Cup Week One

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Auckland vs Hawkes Bay
Northland vs Waikato
Otago vs Canterbury
Taranaki vs Southland
Manawatu vs Tasman

Meads Cup
Wanganui vs Poverty Bay

Lochore Cup Week One

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Why the hell wasn't the penalty try given? I only saw a quick clip on the news earlier - enough to make out it was fairly close to the line, but not if there were any covering defenders around. It had been quite a fiery match in the first half with quite a bit riding on it for both teams
Announced today that Lee's been suspended for three weeks for the tackle; I think thats reasonable TBH given that although it had the potential to badly injure Luke Hamilton, it was clear that it wasn't his intention. For those wanting to see the incident, its on Youtube: YouTube - Fritz Lee nearly takes Luke Hamiltons head off

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@Somerset - I see you backed Manawatu - I did as well - but Tasman are horribly unpredictable and could easily win the game. Best of luck to both of us.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
@Somerset - I see you backed Manawatu - I did as well - but Tasman are horribly unpredictable and could easily win the game. Best of luck to both of us.
Quite honestly I could've tossed a coin and made a prediction for that match - only tipped Manawatu because they were at home.

Interesting, the BOP beat Wellington tonight which could leave Wellington as low as eighth by the end of the weekend - not a pretty position for a side most, myself included, thought would be a certainty to finish in the top four.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Round Ten Results:
Hurricane 9
HeathDavisSpeed 8
Somerset 8
BoyBrumby 7
Samuel_Vimes 7
Voltman 7
Ripper868 5

Standings after Round Ten:
Samuel_Vimes 75