• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ITM Cup 2010

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I don't blame you for picking H Kapiti - from a game theory perspective it is the right play as it will be a set back if you tip that one wrong and everyone else called it right. While if everyone gets it wrong it doesnt hurt you.
I still think the game will go either way and it is impossible to call. I am sticking with West Coast. Will LOL if it is a draw.

ripper868

International Coach
Seems I'm proving tippping blind doesnt work...missed a game tonight i think...dman work with no net access.

Round Nine ITM Cup Fixtures:
Southland
vs Auckland
Bay of Plenty vs Otago
Canterbury vs Wellington
Hawkes Bay vs Taranaki
Waikato vs b
North Harbour vs Manawatu
Counties Manukau vs Northland

Round Five Heartland Championship Fixtures:
Mid Canterbury vs East Coast
South Canterbury vs King Country
Horowhenua Kapiti
vs West Coast
Wanganui vs Thames Valley
Poverty Bay vs Buller
Wairarapa Bush vs North Otago

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well played by Southland tonight. Fully deserved.

Would have been a rather unpopular result if Auckland had taken away the Shield on top of everything else Southland had been through this week!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Well played by Southland tonight. Fully deserved.

Would have been a rather unpopular result if Auckland had taken away the Shield on top of everything else Southland had been through this week!
Fair point, though personally would've loved to have seen the Shield brought back to Auckland to be able to watch a Shield game again - the last one I attended was Harbour being belted against Waikato at North Harbour Stadium a number of years ago as I never went to any of the Auckland Shield matches in 2008.

I actually thought Auckland was the better side tonight, dominated territory and had more opportunities. Giving away penalties in kickable areas was the key at the end of the day though, and Auckland made more errors in that respect. Jamie Mackintosh and Jason Rutledge were standouts for Southland though their whole defensive system is very impressive.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Round Nine ITM Cup Fixtures:
Southland
vs Auckland
Bay of Plenty vs Otago
Canterbury vs Wellington
Hawkes Bay vs Taranaki
Waikato vs b
I was going to give you [and Vimes] the home side for any matches you missed FTR.

Also I assume you're tipping Waikato to beat Tasman?

ripper868

International Coach
I was going to give you [and Vimes] the home side for any matches you missed FTR.

Also I assume you're tipping Waikato to beat Tasman?
Other way round actually...was using the ctrl b method to highlight...so tipping against waikato and tippping Tasman.

Cheers for the home game thing :)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Southland vs Auckland
Bay of Plenty vs Otago
Canterbury vs Wellington
Hawkes Bay vs Taranaki
Waikato vs Tasman

Round Five Heartland Championship Fixtures:
Mid Canterbury vs East Coast
South Canterbury vs King Country
Horowhenua Kapiti vs West Coast
Wanganui vs Thames Valley
Poverty Bay vs Buller
Wairarapa Bush vs North Otago

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fantastic game between Canterbury and Wellington this afternoon in front of a massive crowd (tickets free apparently which was a great initiative). SBW watch - came on at halftime for Crotty, scored a try with a powerful burst and besides a couple of unforced errors made a strong contribution. Fruean again was impressive - with Kahui out again maybe hes a bolter for the end of year tour?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah on one network news they were calling for Fruean to be an AB about a week ago. Seems fair enough. Although what do you think of his defence is he as reliable as Conrad?

Also I have an observation from the past few weeks of watching Cantabs. I think from second phase ball their backs stand too flat. IF they were staggered more they could run on to the ball. Instead they are standing flat footed when the ball is passed out to them. I don't know whether to blame Slade as 1st 5. Sonny Bill as 2nd 5 or the coaching staff or all of the above. Although all teams do this to a certain extent I notice it most with Cantabs.

On another note Hawkes Bay looked good today. Players Gillies Kaka (spelling?) are providing a pick me up.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah on one network news they were calling for Fruean to be an AB about a week ago. Seems fair enough. Although what do you think of his defence is he as reliable as Conrad?

Also I have an observation from the past few weeks of watching Cantabs. I think from second phase ball their backs stand too flat. IF they were staggered more they could run on to the ball. Instead they are standing flat footed when the ball is passed out to them. I don't know whether to blame Slade as 1st 5. Sonny Bill as 2nd 5 or the coaching staff or all of the above. Although all teams do this to a certain extent I notice it most with Cantabs.

On another note Hawkes Bay looked good today. Players Gillies Kaka (spelling?) are providing a pick me up.
From what I've seen of Fruean I think hes a reliable enough defender; with his bulk hes certainly not going to get run over by a larger opposition centre anyway. Comparable to Conrad Smith I don't think he'd be out of place.

Regarding Canterbury's backline, I hadn't actually made a massive note of it myself but I'll look out for your observation next week.

Hawkes Bay produced a much improved performance this week, at least for 60 minutes before Taranaki finished strongly and threatened to steal the game. Guildford at 15 was solid. Hika Elliot had another good game - IMO he could be the form hooker of the competition and wouldn't mind him as a bolter for that end of year AB squad either.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd definitely be taking Fruean ahead of Sonny Bill at this stage. Too flaky in defense and not enough extra attacking flair to warrant a spot. I'd be looking at Jared Payne of Northland too. He's been superb this year. Would be a decent option in the squad as a utility back. Hika Elliott should definitely be the backup hooker with Hore injured.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
1) I am really impressed with people's ability to spot the play of the front row. They never stand out to me and go by me as unsung heroes in a game. I can never tell who is scrummaging well and doing good work in the tight.

2) Havn't really seen enough of SBW in defence I will take a look out for him next time.

3) HKapiti thrashed west coast - or at least beat them comfortably. I should have copied everyone else I guess. Oh well I went with the odds set by the TAB and let that influence me.

4) I actually made my comment about HB at the 60 minute mark of the game and nearly had to edit my post with that Taranki come back. Based on how HB gave it away at the end I won't be tipping them next week in a hurry.

5) I hope SBW is done with starting off the bench now. People on Radio Sport were hoeing into Rob Penney today for not starting SBW saying that Penney had tall poppy syndrome and weren't giving the public what they wanted. The way Counties and HB are playing at the moment SBW seems to have made the right call to go to Cantabs to play even if he doesn't get guaranteed starting time and even if he did have to play his way into the team. I think SBW will enjoy super rugby next year and this will be a better test for him.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The following is a confusing Rant.

I am peeved with Hawthorne I think it is - who are sponsoring an Aussie Rules promotion amongst NZ youngsters in the lower north island.

1) I can't stand aussie rules
2) leave our young talent alone and concentrate on converting sydney and other parts of Aussie to Aussie rules.
3) NZ dominates the world in one sport. Rugby. If we start getting distracted by Aussie rules and sending young athletes into that sport we are going to lose our competitiveness over time. I realise in reality that we only lose 4 or 5 quality athletes to another code. But I would rather not lose any.
4) Aussie rules people are allowed to love their game - but spread the gospel elsewhere not in my backyard. Seriously get the other states in Aussie to stop playing league and rugby. Spend your ill gotten gains there instead and convert them.
5) This year they have had 1300 NZ youngsters through their program. Schools should ban their program from coming into their schools. If I was a principal I would have no issue telling them to go home to Melbourne.
6) If I can be bothered I may either start an anti aussie rules face book page. Or if I get really bored I will write a letter to the NZRFU and have them use their influence with schools to put an end to this nonsense.:ph34r::ph34r:

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Well, I was at a Wellington AFL function at the Four Kings on Courtney Place today. Was a great atmosphere for a thrilling grand final. I would happily pay $$$ to see a proper AFL game in Wellington. Mind you, I'll pretty much watch any sport.

ripper868

International Coach

I am peeved with Hawthorne I think it is - who are sponsoring an Aussie Rules promotion amongst NZ youngsters in the lower north island.

1) I can't stand aussie rules
2) leave our young talent alone and concentrate on converting sydney and other parts of Aussie to Aussie rules.
3) NZ dominates the world in one sport. Rugby. If we start getting distracted by Aussie rules and sending young athletes into that sport we are going to lose our competitiveness over time. I realise in reality that we only lose 4 or 5 quality athletes to another code. But I would rather not lose any.
4) Aussie rules people are allowed to love their game - but spread the gospel elsewhere not in my backyard. Seriously get the other states in Aussie to stop playing league and rugby. Spend your ill gotten gains there instead and convert them.
5) This year they have had 1300 NZ youngsters through their program. Schools should ban their program from coming into their schools. If I was a principal I would have no issue telling them to go home to Melbourne.
6) If I can be bothered I may either start an anti aussie rules face book page. Or if I get really bored I will write a letter to the NZRFU and have them use their influence with schools to put an end to this nonsense.:ph34r::ph34r:
Bit like the rest of the world can't stand Kiwi's banging on aboiut how good they are at Rugby eh?

Australia - 2 World Cups
South Africa - 2 World Cups
Nz - 1 World Cup

No-one cares about Bledisloe or Tri Nations :ph34r:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

3) NZ dominates the world in one sport. Rugby.
Bit like the rest of the world can't stand Kiwi's banging on aboiut how good they are at Rugby eh?

Australia - 2 World Cups
South Africa - 2 World Cups
Nz - 1 World Cup

No-one cares about Bledisloe or Tri Nations :ph34r:
My post was written while in rant mode. So you are right we don't dominate. Fair points.

http://www.nzafl.co.nz/

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

A lot of the guys I've seen playing Aussie Rules in Wellington play League rather than Onion anyway. I honestly don't think there's much to worry about, Hurricane.