• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bandwagon Fan

Julian87

State Captain
Just came across a reference to an 1999 article by Hunt et al classifying sports fans:

Temporary Fan
Fan for a specific time-bound event such as a home run chase

Local Fan
Bounded by geographical constraints e.g. support local team

Devoted Fan
The object is used to maintain self-concept, so that they are loyal in bad times and attend regularly

Fanatical Fan
Move beyond the devoted fan in, for example, going to games in costume. Fan-don is a very important part of self-identification, but at least one other aspect of life (family, work, religion) is more important.

Dysfunctional Fan
Fandom is primary means of self-identification and is the main method of identification to others. Different from the Fanatical Fan not by degree of self identification, but by anti-social behaviour, ie hooliganism
Ah we studied that for media audiences. Was balls tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Used to be a fanatical fan of my rugby league team. Don't think I go beyond local in any sport now though really; if I get really into a sport I tend to become a fan of the game itself rather than a certain team.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
My understanding of local is that if you move, you support another team? If so they hardly can be considered fans for mine (real fans never change alleigences).

Started supporting my team due to locality (it was about a 3 way tie between North Sydney Bears, Parramatta and Penrith IIRC) but have since moved all over the shop. Fall into devoted fan imo.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I was wondering about the concept of the the bandwagon fan and other types of fans again. Googled for a thread in cricketweb and found this. Responses from a few members has been really good and seeing it gets me to understand the various types of fans. My responses many times in the thread were pretty cringe worthy tbh, when I look back at it.

I don't consider myself a big fan of any team apart from the Indian test team, I suppose. Have followed them over the years and watched as many games as possible, many in stadiums. Even the ODI team, I don't follow that much. It was amazing when we became world number 1 in tests. I actually was much more happier than I thought I would be when we won the world cup. I distinctly remember thinking - I have followed this team for so long and this is one tournament we always missed out on. Over the last 5 years, I have been quite unhappy in the Dhoni downfall era as I have not quite understood what has gone on at times. Suresh Raina being selected many times for tests, even as recently as for the Australia tests has been things which have frustrated me. BCCI has been ****ier than usual. I do hope things improve.

I follow Barcelona and Heat games but follow them far too less. I haven't even attended any of their games. I would consider myself a casual Barcelona fan as I love their style. I end up watching around 15 games a season but that's about it. I don't even follow the Heat that much.

I wish to follow another team passionately like the Indian test team, but I am not sure I will ever be able to do that. I keep moving between couple of cities. I have not been to many football games locally. I do go for the odd Bengal domestic game. Not enough to call myself a fan yet. The sporting culture in India has gone from non existant mostly to completely gimmicky with all these made for television leagues with superstar owners.

I have heard a lot of football tales in this thread. What about cricket? Is any one a proper county or club follower?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Supporting a cricket team is just not quite the same, will always be a pretty big Hampshire fan but I can easily go a season just following the scores and watching them play limited overs stuff on Sky rather than having to go to a game, although I usually do make a couple a season. I could never do that with Brentford.

Pothas

Would guess I am a devoted fan given that criteria, work means I cannot go as much as I did a couple of years ago but would still make at least 10 home games a season and a couple of away ones no matter how **** were are (which is most of the time.) But then again it is easy for me to get to games.
Well things have changed a bit since then, we are good now, and I never miss a home game. I like to think these things are not related..

Had a season ticket for 2 of the last 3 years but good chance we are moving away so that may not be possible next year. I don't think I can be one of those fans that travel 3 hours every other weekend to make a home game but fairly sure I can do 7 or 8 and then as many away games as I can manage. Away games are so good that I can almost understand how people can do home and away for a whole season. Could never quite give my entire social life over to football, let alone afford it, but I can see why people do it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Following a cricket team is far better on tv but one does find ardent supporters of the domestic game in England, albeit a few. I personally could see myself going for more Bengal FC games if I was in the city more and they had more FC games. A football team has a week in, week out thing, which makes it amazing I suppose. I have the chance here in Kolkata to do this as we have a big football culture here. I have never been able to do it as I am not that big a football fan and I keep switching cities. I will try and go to a few more games in the next winter of a few teams, and see if I can get into one. It is unlikely to happen as I keep switching cities and you have to be at a place and at the right time with the right culture in the land to really catch onto it. A friend of mine started supporting Bangalore FC since they were formed 4 years or so back. She goes regularly to their games and has really caught on to them. They ended up being national champions. I find the sporting culture extremely ****ed up here though. Bangalore was just 'added' to the first division as they had some amazingly resourceful owners right at the inception. Now, we just 'formed' an Indian Super League which is gimmicky. They didn't even include the teams which have been playing in the country for many years. I was reading about the J-League and they started similarly but was inclusive and really developed well over the years. I quite like the idea of going through a list of teams in various divisions of the Kolkata Leagues and following one and to see how it goes. I realise that forming a deep affiliation will be near impossible and one cannot 'force' it. If it will happen, it will happen but I do want to experience that rush of following a sport team like this.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just came across a reference to an 1999 article by Hunt et al classifying sports fans:

Temporary Fan
Fan for a specific time-bound event such as a home run chase

Local Fan
Bounded by geographical constraints e.g. support local team

Devoted Fan
The object is used to maintain self-concept, so that they are loyal in bad times and attend regularly

Fanatical Fan
Move beyond the devoted fan in, for example, going to games in costume. Fan-don is a very important part of self-identification, but at least one other aspect of life (family, work, religion) is more important.

Dysfunctional Fan
Fandom is primary means of self-identification and is the main method of identification to others. Different from the Fanatical Fan not by degree of self identification, but by anti-social behaviour, ie hooliganism
The prospect of non league is steering me towards dysfunctional. Birkenhead gonna be messy the night we go down

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Supporting a cricket team is just not quite the same, will always be a pretty big Hampshire fan but I can easily go a season just following the scores and watching them play limited overs stuff on Sky rather than having to go to a game, although I usually do make a couple a season. I could never do that with Brentford.
I'd argue that in cricket the difference between international and domestic just flips. I don't follow Somerset as much as Arsenal obviously, though I have been to Taunton which is a decent effort when I live less than an hour away from Lords and the Oval, but I watch pretty much every England game and at my peak definitely "supported" them as much as I do Arsenal now. I probably follow Somerset as much, if not more, than I support the English football team as well.

Pothas

I'd argue that in cricket the difference between international and domestic just flips. I don't follow Somerset as much as Arsenal obviously, though I have been to Taunton which is a decent effort when I live less than an hour away from Lords and the Oval, but I watch pretty much every England game and at my peak definitely "supported" them as much as I do Arsenal now. I probably follow Somerset as much, if not more, than I support the English football team as well.
Yeah this is all true enough but there is still a different feel about it, for me at least. The nature of the two sports certainly plays a part but I do also think that support for a club/county has a different feel about it than a country.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I have to say, as much as I moan about international football, it always catches me by surprise how much I care about the national side.

The Cricket World Cup kinda took me by surprise as well, I'd always thought I'd struggle to pick a side when Scotland and England met but there wasn't even a choice when it came down to it.

HeathDavisSpeed

Disagree. Perhaps it's because going to an Essex match was much easier than a Tottenham one, but I certainly follow Essex with vastly more gusto than any football team. Whenever I'm in the UK in the summer, I have to go and see Essex play. Preferably at Chelmsford. So many memories at that ground.