• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No, you're wrong. Did you see how much more the Dutch lost the ball when they took him off in the final?

And the work he does for Liverpool is unbelievably unappreciated.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd much rather have a player who works hard and has a bit of a clue about what to do when he gets the ball. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I didn't say he works hard for Liverpool, I said the work he does is unappreciated

The two aren't the same

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unappreciated? If it wasn't massively over-appreciated there's no other conclusion to come beyond that he's a painfully ordinary player.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The fact that he was probably Liverpool's most consistent outfield player in the last couple of seasons (given the injuries to Torres, Gerrard's form last season, Alonso's sale) and yet some want rid of him suggests he's unappreciated.

That being said he does seem to be appreciated quite highly round these parts (Merseyside, not CW).

Scaly piscine

Consistent because he doesn't do much. Carrick is consistent because he goes for very safe high percentage passes.

If you're actually good enough to take on players, have shots that aren't tap-ins, deliver passes longer than 5 yards to an unmarked defender then you're going to appear inconsistent. It's simple mathematics.

Someone like Torres if he gets a chance he'll be for instance 20-80% to score, depending on how good it is. You'll always get strings of successes and failures, it's just the way statistics works. Outsiders will then call it form or brilliant goalkeeping.

Dirk Krap if he's outside the box is about 0.01% to score so he doesn't bother. If he gets a chance to cross he's not good enough to pick someone out so he'll just lump in the right area and hope for the best. He goes simple because he at least recognises his lack of ability. If he does take a shot it'll be because it's a tap-in or he has no other option.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon Kuyt often has games where his touch single-handedly ruins our flow. But on the whole you gotta give it to him. An incredibly effective player with an engine that doesn't stop. Also is very important for the chemistry of the team off the field. A very infectious and positive player.

And he also does have a good output in terms of goals and assists. Usually comes trumps in big games.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kuyt is the type of player fans will always love though. There's a common breed of football fan who sees the sport as a pure battle of will where the team that tries hardest always wins. They're the type who populate 606 and blame every defeat on "not playing for the shirt" or "not wanting it enough". I wonder if it's uniquely English to love footballers who run around lots.

He's not the worst player in the world but I wouldn't want him to sign for United. Being particularly good tracking back shouldn't really be what you look for in an attacking player.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

I reckon Kuyt often has games where his touch single-handedly ruins our flow. But on the whole you gotta give it to him. An incredibly effective player with an engine that doesn't stop. Also is very important for the chemistry of the team off the field. A very infectious and positive player.

And he also does have a good output in terms of goals and assists. Usually comes trumps in big games.
1 goal every 4 games for Liverpool.

1 goal every 5 games for Netherlands.

That's a big fail on the goals output.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He's not the worst player in the world but I wouldn't want him to sign for United. Being particularly good tracking back shouldn't really be what you look for in an attacking player.
Pretty much the whole team last year was a failure bar Reina but even amongst the others Kuyt was consistent.

However, I take issue with those saying he is not an attacking player. When we came runner-up the only wide-man in the league with more goals and assists than Kuyt was Ronaldo.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
1 goal every 4 games for Liverpool.

1 goal every 5 games for Netherlands.

That's a big fail on the goals output.
Going on that Gerrard is also a big fail on the goals output. The guy has been playing as a wide-man FFS.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Boateng is a walk up start at RB once he's fit again.
Ah yes they bought him too. I've heard Boateng is versatile to play anywhere along the backline well. So the perfect scenario for me would be Richards stepping up as either a RB or CB. Thus both him & Boateng can start - thus Kompany would be benched.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Unappreciated? If it wasn't massively over-appreciated there's no other conclusion to come beyond that he's a painfully ordinary player.
I haven't read any of the last few pages, but I've opened the thread to find this, and I'll have to assume we're talking about Dirk Kuyt?

Edit: Yes, it would seem so.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Kuyt is the type of player fans will always love though. There's a common breed of football fan who sees the sport as a pure battle of will where the team that tries hardest always wins. They're the type who populate 606 and blame every defeat on "not playing for the shirt" or "not wanting it enough". I wonder if it's uniquely English to love footballers who run around lots.

Morons, in other words.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So we've loaned out Aquilani to Juve. Daft move by Roy. We're not a team blessed with fantastic depth and he's shipped out one of our genuinely creative players. Last year he had injury problems but he's been fine since the latter part of the season till now and when he finally starts looking the part he's sent back. Pissed off TBF.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
A good creative midfielder... that part. He started getting a good run at the end of the season and ended up with 1 goal and 6 assists in something like 9 appearances. Missed the world-cup, was praised in pre-season and is now being shipped off. Doesn't make any sense.

Last edited: