• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, that model worked well for GWS with Sheedy handing over after a couple of years to a younger bloke.

They're playing good footy ATM.

Couldn't believe Rioli had the Neville Glover moment last weekend.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Given the long rebuild ahead, not sure about the wisdom of appointing a greenhorn

As with Watters, McCarthy, Neeld etc. the footy industry doesnt have the patience anymore for a long rebuild - and hence those unproven guys become very vulnerable to media or player revolt a couple of years in with very few wins on the board

The Blues need a Demons-type set-up (Roos/Goodwin) of an experienced hardhead whose credentials nobody questions to shoulder the early painful years, and a young successor working under him to take over two or three years down the track
Mick was a hard head who could fill that role perfectly. Problem is the mixed messages that came out of that piece of **** football club over the last 3 years.

**** Carlton. They deserve this. Bunch of arrogant pricks.

You heard me Pasag!

howardj

International Coach
Another problem for them is they really don't have any players of value, given that they've ruled out moving Murphy and Gibbs, to attract top picks in order to expedite their rebuild. Guys who should be moved like Daisy and Kruezer aint worth anything.

Redbacks

International Captain
Interesting that he goaded them to sack him early, I guess a decision in 2 weeks time was an embarrassing saga he wanted to avoid.

Redbacks

International Captain
I don't think his value system aligned well with the Blues. They are a club that bought success and wants to play stylish football, like the bombers. They won't sacrifice some of that style for graft. The pies on the other hand seem to galvanize and put results at the forefront which got greater group buy in to deal with his caustic personality.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All the non-rookie coaches just slip back into assistant coaching with the rookie caoches after they've been sacked, but have the minus of being a failed afl coach weighing over them (ie Voss, Knights, Primus, Neeld etc)

Redbacks

International Captain
Last night would have been a great chance for mick to salvage his job :blink:. He was probably right to state that 30 years is worth more than 2 weeks when judging a coach. The board fluffed their lines with that one.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Leaving the board aside for a moment... listening to Malthouse speak during his time at Carlton, does he sound like someone who knew what he was doing? His rants have grown ever more bizarre with time.

Firing him was the right decision, the next one they can make is to replace themselves too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hey Spikey. Suck it.

Fletcher subbed off in his 400th is glorious. Should not count as a full 400 games until the old **** plays a full game.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone watch Malthouse's interview with Gerard Whateley last week? I see a lot of parallels between him and Jason Akermanis. Comes across as completely self-absorbed, seems to want to appear more caring about his colleagues than he actually is, happy to take the blame for inconsequential matters so that he can claim credibility when refusing it later on.

I also suspect that, like Aker, the relationships he values are not as mutual as he thinks they are, with the obvious exception of Daisy.

Could he have just walked away quietly and with some dignity left or did he eat most of that up in the manner he left Collingwood?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
My understanding is that (at least last year) Malthouse had a lot of affection from the Carlton playing group - at least those guys who get a game regularly. Think they might have wound up being a group who liked him, but didn't like the football they were supposed to play under him.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
My understanding is that (at least last year) Malthouse had a lot of affection from the Carlton playing group - at least those guys who get a game regularly. Think they might have wound up being a group who liked him, but didn't like the football they were supposed to play under him.
Sounds like a fair assessment.

One of the more interesting things I took from the interview was hearing him say he's not a big note-taker. Strikes me as very odd that a person in a high pressure & accountability job wouldn't be writing things down, and I wondered whether that is common across the league for coaches. In a way it's kind of a shame too, because it's one of the only ways you can objectively analyse your performance and determine whether you're doing things right and just not getting the results or whether something has changed in your style without you noticing it.

Also it doesn't help the image of being a reactionary autocrat when you tell people that you keep all your knowledge upstairs - like that's the safest repository for it. Possibly an unfair assessment of the guy on my part but it does come across that way to me.

I guess you have to credit anyone who can survive 30 years as a coach in this industry but part of me will always wonder how much of his legacy is from taking on the right jobs at the right time - until he got to Carlton of course.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sounds like a fair assessment.

One of the more interesting things I took from the interview was hearing him say he's not a big note-taker. Strikes me as very odd that a person in a high pressure & accountability job wouldn't be writing things down, and I wondered whether that is common across the league for coaches. In a way it's kind of a shame too, because it's one of the only ways you can objectively analyse your performance and determine whether you're doing things right and just not getting the results or whether something has changed in your style without you noticing it.

Also it doesn't help the image of being a reactionary autocrat when you tell people that you keep all your knowledge upstairs - like that's the safest repository for it. Possibly an unfair assessment of the guy on my part but it does come across that way to me.

I guess you have to credit anyone who can survive 30 years as a coach in this industry but part of me will always wonder how much of his legacy is from taking on the right jobs at the right time - until he got to Carlton of course.
Think his original build at Collingwood was his greatest achievement - turned the club around with much the same personnel, and some discards recruited from other clubs (Steinfort, Licuria, Wakelin, etc.). Think your criticism is fair in terms of WCE, and that was really where his legacy was built.