• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tiger Woods

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Not really. Federer is only 28 and has won 15 GS titles; Sampras was 31 when he won his 14th. Jack Nicklaus had won 12 majors by the time he was Woods's age too. Tiger's ahead, but not by that much.
He is undoubtedly ahead.
Federer has 2-3 years left. Compare that with Woods who has so many years left and there really is no real competition between them.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I'd rather be ****ing than playing golf tbh.
You are no Tiger Woods when it comes to Golf and Tiger was doing both and it seems with distinction. What's wrong with that ?

Seriously though, I wish he was still playing Golf. Watching Golf is so dire without Tiger playing.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Federer has 2-3 years left. Compare that with Woods who has so many years left and there really is no real competition between them.
That's a **** point. Arnold Palmer won a few things and played until he was in his 70s, based on your comment he's the best because he played for so many years.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Roger Turned pro in 1998, Tiger in 1996.
Roger has 15 Majors, Tiger has 14.
Roger has more majors than any other player in Men's Tennis, Tiger Doesn't.
Roger also has an Olympic Gold Medal

Not saying Roger is better, but case can certainly be made, based on what we have seen so far.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Normally, I would tend to agree. However, with Woods, it's the rank deception and fraud.

He has, over the years, luxuriated in, profited massively from and carefully cultivated his image as a clean cut family man who is beyond reproach.

Turns out he was a fraud.
Oh common now. He didn't ask us to believe in all that. And no one gave him those endorsements because of his image, they gave him because he could play Golf.

Son Of Coco

The game itself doesn't involve any physical exercise at all. The exercise involved in walking from one part of the course to another doesn't make you a sportsman.
A golf swing itself is more physical than the walk between shots. Unless you're going up a particularly steep hill. As I said before, try backing up 4 days in a row over 18 holes. It's not that easy. You have to be reasonably fit to get through 72 holes over 4 days consistently without fading over the last couple of rounds. Not as difficult as other sports, but there's a massive difference between golf and darts.

36 holes in one day is tougher still (like in some of the matchplay events).

I'm always amazed when I go back to playing golf after being out for a while how difficult it is to maintain a decent level of play over 18 holes due to me getting tired over the last 5-6 holes. Sure, some of it is mental fatigue, but when your golf muscles aren't used to being worked you get tired and your swing falls apart.

There's a reason why most top golfers now work out. And it's not just to look good.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Then why does spending 4 and a half hours in the sun hitting a ball around and being exhausted at the end make you as tired as spending a day on the cricket field?
:laugh:

Yeah exactly. I think the 'walking doesn't make you a sportsman' line is usually trotted out by people who have enjoyed a casual 9 holes with friends every 6 to 12 months.

As for Tiger, he's bloody good! :happy:

Don't believe the 'his private life should remain private' line either though. He's chosen to live his life in public and made a lot of money out of it. If he was silly enough to believe he could get away with cheating on his wife with that many women and he gets caught then it's too bad. He deserves what he gets.

Same goes for anyone in the same position. I don't see why he should get special treatment because he's good at golf. The degree to which it's publicised matches his public profile. Obviously the same thing's not going to happen to the average Joe down the road.

I do hope we see him back at some stage soon though. It will be interesting to see how his re-entry to the PGA Tour plays out.

Last edited:

social

Not to mention the mental focus it takes to actually be good at golf.
Check out the darts if you want to see great mental focus

It's not uncommon for Tiger to miss the target by 50 yards

It's very unusual for top darts players to miss by an inch

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I have a lot of respect for darts players, but there are a lot more factors than just aiming at a target in golf.

Son Of Coco

Check out the darts if you want to see great mental focus

I fail to see how that's at all relevant...unless I'm allowed to add that I've never seen a darts player hit the target from 250 metres away :happy: How often do darts players have to deal with strong winds, rain, playing off different surfaces, throwing the dart around a tree etc etc? I'd certainly spend more time watching darts if they had to. It'd be brilliant!

That, and if it was possible for a top darts player to miss by 50 yards then there'd be one-eyed barman and woman in pubs all around the country. I think the darts action is more easily repeated than the golf action. There's also more moving parts in the latter. Agree that it takes a high degree of mental strength to be good at either though.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Roger Turned pro in 1998, Tiger in 1996.
Roger has 15 Majors, Tiger has 14.
Roger has more majors than any other player in Men's Tennis, Tiger Doesn't.
Roger also has an Olympic Gold Medal

Not saying Roger is better, but case can certainly be made, based on what we have seen so far.
You tend to take more years to win majors in golf and have a longer career span. So comparison like that is futile.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
That's a **** point. Arnold Palmer won a few things and played until he was in his 70s, based on your comment he's the best because he played for so many years.
Woods has the chance to win many more majors. If he plays into his 70s and wins not that many majors in comparison, obviously he will be put on a lower level.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A golf swing itself is more physical than the walk between shots. Unless you're going up a particularly steep hill. As I said before, try backing up 4 days in a row over 18 holes. It's not that easy. You have to be reasonably fit to get through 72 holes over 4 days consistently without fading over the last couple of rounds. Not as difficult as other sports, but there's a massive difference between golf and darts.

36 holes in one day is tougher still (like in some of the matchplay events).

I'm always amazed when I go back to playing golf after being out for a while how difficult it is to maintain a decent level of play over 18 holes due to me getting tired over the last 5-6 holes. Sure, some of it is mental fatigue, but when your golf muscles aren't used to being worked you get tired and your swing falls apart.

There's a reason why most top golfers now work out. And it's not just to look good.
So is snooker. You ever tried to play 19 frames? Holy ****. There's a reason they do so much fitness, you know. Matches can last 8 or 9 hours. And if you miss the target by a milimetre even once, you quite often hand your opponent the frame.

I don't know whether snooker, darts golf are sports, but I can't really see how one is and the others aren't.