• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Rugby League Four Nations Tournament

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tahu's father is Maori.
Yeah, so I understand. Just found it a bit surprising that a chap who seems committed to Oz would be selected for them. Report I linked to says he now wants to play for the Maori, so does that mean he wants to play for the Kiwis too?

Craig

World Traveller
Well that was a blowout in the end, 50-6 to New Zealand.

But honestly, how much were that all-girl band (?) were to paid to sing the NZ national anthem? Not only did they butcher it, but what talentless hacks they are.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pleased to see us piss away an 18 point lead v the Maori. We were blowing out of our arses for the last quarter. Morley getting crocked obv didn't help on the interchange front, but worrying signs for next week.

Widdop isn't a full back's arse either; no pace and positionally suspect. He's a stand off or he's nothing IMHO.

Craig

World Traveller
Surely you guys would have better players then Widdop, ie more who only have one game of first grade under their belts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pleased to see us piss away an 18 point lead v the Maori. We were blowing out of our arses for the last quarter. Morley getting crocked obv didn't help on the interchange front, but worrying signs for next week.

Widdop isn't a full back's arse either; no pace and positionally suspect. He's a stand off or he's nothing IMHO.
Funny you should say that because he was only moved from fullback to five-eighth in lower grades here because there was no avenue for him to get into the top grade at fullback, given Slater was ahead of him at this club.

That said, I don't really disagree with you. He was positionally quite good at fullback when he played there regularly but a season and a half exclusively playing five-eighth and centre will obviously mess with that a little bit, and there definitely are quicker fullbacks. I believe I compared him to Ben Hornby somewhere on this forum a while ago - that comparison is looking truer by the game.

Julian87

State Captain
England won't get within 20 of Australia or New Zealand. They're also extremely lucky that Papua New Guinea have so many of their top players out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KO in half hour or thereabouts. Widdop starts. Eeuuww. Hope I'm wrong, but think this could get ugly.

Our pack looks solid, but Morley and Peacock are big misses. Vatuevi to run over the top of our somewhat pint sized backs tho.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
God, Burgess picking up hints of Strine. When he says "Yeah" & "Aw, look" he def sounds like a chap who's spent a year in Sydney.

Liking the retro kits.

chalky

International Debutant
1st set of six 1st try for New Zealand you can already see the difference in the speed of play of the ball not looking good :(

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, having a feeling you'll end up wishing you hadn't found it. Try for the Kiwis on their first set of six. Marshall's ball distribution is so good.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Facepalm of an offload from Roby. Seriously, look up first you ranga dolt.

Marshall slots the resultant pen. 6-0 NZ.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Took a car ride with a fellow who told me he was cousins with Benji.

I think the Kiwis hopes at the title went out the door with that injury to Manu. We were underdogs to begin with without losing our best player. Still a good game by the Kiwis. And Kenny Dowell looks impressive.

Reckon if we play our hearts out and if Aussie takes us for granted like they always seem to every 7 or 8th game against us (based on the fact they always beat us) then we could do it. But it will require some poor leadership from the Aussies for that to happen.

thierry henry

International Coach
I think the Kiwis hopes at the title went out the door with that injury to Manu. We were underdogs to begin with without losing our best player. .
I said at another forum that the loss of Vatuvei was the biggest possible loss for the Kiwis, even worse than if we lost Benji, but I got shouted down by some n00b. The fact my username there is "Manu Vatuvei" probably doesn't enhance my credibility though.

The Warriors' and Kiwis' record without Manu is pretty awful, his influence from the wing is extraordinary. It's a little simplistic, but still...

2004 Tri-Nations- No Manu- last
2005 Tri-Nations- Manu- won
2006 Tri-Nations- Manu- lost the final in golden point
2007 UK tour- No Manu- disaster
2008 World Cup- Manu- World Champs
2009 4 Nations- No Manu- 3rd

When you factor in the Warriors record without him it starts to look less like a coincidence....

Julian87

State Captain
I said at another forum that the loss of Vatuvei was the biggest possible loss for the Kiwis, even worse than if we lost Benji, but I got shouted down by some n00b. The fact my username there is "Manu Vatuvei" probably doesn't enhance my credibility though.

The Warriors' and Kiwis' record without Manu is pretty awful, his influence from the wing is extraordinary. It's a little simplistic, but still...

2004 Tri-Nations- No Manu- last
2005 Tri-Nations- Manu- won
2006 Tri-Nations- Manu- lost the final in golden point
2007 UK tour- No Manu- disaster
2008 World Cup- Manu- World Champs
2009 4 Nations- No Manu- 3rd

When you factor in the Warriors record without him it starts to look less like a coincidence....
As terrible as that record is; Perrett is just as good as Vatuvei from his own end of the field and Nightingale is a brilliant winger. In fact I reckon they're both better all round wingers than Vatuvei. They're the best 2 wingers in this competition IMO (and I'm a huge Tuqiri fan).

thierry henry

International Coach
Perrett is just as good as Vatuvei from his own end of the field and Nightingale is a brilliant winger. In fact I reckon they're both better all round wingers than Vatuvei.
I respect your right to an opinion, but as opinions go this one is pretty ridiculous imo.

Julian87

State Captain
I respect your right to an opinion, but as opinions go this one is pretty ridiculous imo.
They're each much more sound defensively; techincally and positionally than Manu. I really cbf getting the stats out but Perrett makes just about more metres from his end bar pretty much every winger outside of Daniel Vidot.

And while Perrett and Nightingale don't have the barnstorming running game of Vatuvei, they each have a safer pair of hands, make less errors and are just as good in the air. And while it is completely irrelevant to the argument they both cover fullback and Perrett the centres as a pinch as well.

Look I hate the Roosters and the Dragons so there is no closer attachment to either player at all. I'd deadset take Perrett in my team ahead of any other winger around, especially if it's a finals or rep match. A good positional, defensive and safe winger is so, so, so under rated. Most people, for instance, would rather Hayne on the wing in their team than nightingale or Perrett which is just absolute madness.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Gordon is better than both of them. I'd take Uate over any other winger personally though. The guy is a freak. Pretty happy my two favorite wingers could well be lining up for NSW next year.

Agree about a technically sound defensive winger being criminally underrated though. Just ask the Cowboys. A weak link on the edges is repeatedly punished by smart opponents.

Craig

World Traveller
The mention of Gordon would have nothing to do with the fact that he plays for Penrith now does it? :ph34r: