• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2010 thread

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah some of them would be NYC players or second-tier players. Only 25 players come under the first grade salary cap.

Exactly the NRL Cap is for 25 players only... After that their is a 2nd Tier cap which includes any players who play NRL during the season but arent in the top 25, this is where alot of 'minor' breaches over the last few seasons come from...

Craig

World Traveller
Look, Craigos, don't want to embarrass you so I found to most NRL friendly article on the subject to show you the discrepancy between the two codes re: TV rights:

AFL will earn more, but NRL TV revenue to lift The Roar - Your Sports Opinion
I was going off an article I read about a month ago. The problem with the NRL, it's not so much the lack of money, but there are plenty of middlemen all taking their cut. We have the ARL who is control for the game in Australia (organising development programs, picking the Australian etc.), and then we have the NRL who is the governing body for the competition. Of which there are 32 board members, and the plan is to streamline a lot of this, and cut 24 board members. This is one of their efforts to have more money to pass on back to the players.

But I believe Gallop said Chs 10 and 7 had entered the frame in bidding for NRL TV rights, and the article said it was close to the $1b mark.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
One things for certain... If Melbourne do survive all this, They will overtake Manly as the Most hated club in the NRL. (Even though mine will stay as Soufs)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, I thought I couldn't hate Melbourne more after they robbed us in the 1999 Grand Final, but they've proven me wrong.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry but that is simply a fallacy

Anyway, when (not if) rugby union comes knocking with contracts DOUBLE what is being offered by league, you dont think they'll be tempted?
Not it isn't a fallacy at all. I watch the **** every week in the forlorn hope some toss pot North Shore dick head won't do a load over the shape of a scrum. Once every 5 or so weeks they don't.

Of course they'll be tempted, but no **** in Australia will be watching. There are 4 codes here, and Rah Rah is the least followed because its by far the least entertaining to watch. It's like pulling teeth, only more painful.

Even the A League is better than 80 per cent of rugby matches, and its horrible.

No doubt we'll get the usual toss-pottery, you know "ooh, leaugies don't understand our game.. Tee hee". No, its that your game is ****ed, frankly, at least the way it's administered and played here.

Mostly that's because it's followed by soft **** Tories like, well you, frankly mate. Most of themare born with silver spoons up their arses, and have them wiped for them as they go through the GPS system. Dire.

Way different in NZ I grant you, and SA as well, in terms of the non-****wit demographic who play it. Which is why it's a miracle we ever beat them - most of our sppon fed GPS boys are worried they'll ruin their manicure.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Not it isn't a fallacy at all. I watch the **** every week in the forlorn hope some toss pot North Shore dick head won't do a load over the shape of a scrum. Once every 5 or so weeks they don't.

Of course they'll be tempted, but no **** in Australia will be watching. There are 4 codes here, and Rah Rah is the least followed because its by far the least entertaining to watch. It's like pulling teeth, only more painful.

Even the A League is better than 80 per cent of rugby matches, and its horrible.

No doubt we'll get the usual toss-pottery, you know "ooh, leaugies don't understand our game.. Tee hee". No, its that your game is ****ed, frankly, at least the way it's administered and played here.

Mostly that's because it's followed by soft **** Tories like, well you, frankly mate. Most of themare born with silver spoons up their arses, and have them wiped for them as they go through the GPS system. Dire.

Way different in NZ I grant you, and SA as well, in terms of the non-****wit demographic who play it. Which is why it's a miracle we ever beat them - most of our sppon fed GPS boys are worried they'll ruin their manicure.
HAHAHAHAHA Sensational and TOTALLY true....

Very well said..

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

Obviously you haven't seen any of the games involving the Reds this season then.

morgieb

Haha best rant. How many people that aren't from the big private schools in the country will play rugby? Exactly.

Craig

World Traveller

:wub:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
BTW, just discovered that the Storm have 36 players on their roster so the breach equates to well under 10k per man per season
Only your top 25 paid players count towards the main cap.

And a lot of them would be on the NRL minimum wage (which is around 50k IIRC) so they couldn't take 'equal' paycuts anyway.

Burgey

Obviously you haven't seen any of the games involving the Reds this season then.
I have seen a few mate and they've been great tbf. Just ****s me when Aussie Rah Rahs get on their high horses when the game here has it's own problems.

Burgey

TBF I don't think that is the case with ripper at all.

Still laughing at Newcastle.
Its not about who plays the game, more about where the powers that be decide to draw their rep players from.

Probably less so now than before, but the attitude still pervades the high-ups I think.

morgieb

Only your top 25 paid players count towards the main cap.

And a lot of them would be on the NRL minimum wage (which is around 50k IIRC) so they couldn't take 'equal' paycuts anyway.
ATM they need to release somewhere between 1-14 players to get under the cap. Obviously not taking into account paycuts, which can't happen for everybody.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
ATM they need to release somewhere between 1-14 players to get under the cap. Obviously not taking into account paycuts, which can't happen for everybody.
The problem they have is they can't just release them as they would have to pay out contracts or come to some agreement and any payment would then be counted under the cap.

They would need someone to come along and cover the cost of the players remaining contract. Can't see many players leaving to other league clubs because most are near the cap limit...

I can see them riding this year out and not re-signing any of their off contract players at the end of the season, as well as maybe letting one or 2 more go to other clubs (providing the other clubs are willing to cover their current contract)...

Also in other news, interesting to hear on the Sunday Footy show, Vossy saying that if Thurston was to sign a contract today it is most likely it would be with French Rugby. Personally wouldnt be upset to see that grub go to rugby...

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
People can talk about the money that Rugby has, about the crowds that the AFL has, and all the salary cap issues but as long as RL keeps producing entertainment like this, and players like Dugan and Coote it'll be fine. It's seriously good to watch and everything else will work itself out.