• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Athletics Champs

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I agree 90%. You gotta show some level of discression for false starts even if a bloke false starts. As i said before if their is situation at the next WC or Olympics where Bolt blazes through the heats & false starts in the final, that wont be a pleasant sight.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Actually aussie, I do agree that there was nothing wrong with two false-starts per athlete being a DQ. But at the same time, I don't have any sympathy for an athlete falling foul of any such rule.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
God damn, this female 100 final is full of quality. I got the american to win, with Campbell second

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Rass i was way off, like the commentators are saying didn't expect Fraser to repeat her Olympic gold.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I know this'll seem reactionary, but I think the False Start system needs to go back to the old system. Too many people get DQ'd.

Bolt's a machine.
IAAF disagree. DQ now with the first false starter.

Which is actually more fair, imo. The tactical start + no punishment for the first is a bit idiotic.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Missed most of the first 3 days due to a family celebration. Will need to drag out ut00b.

Have a tipping comp going on another site, where I keep tipping silver medallists... :dry:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Also, somewhat interesting that 2 of the 4 that have won all Golden League meets have lost here (Bekele won, but not on the Golden League distance, Sanya Richards runs tomorrow).

shivfan

Banned
USA pwned once again by the Jamaicans.
Indeed....
:cool:
Fraser is an athlete who brings out the best at the top championships. The pundits were all talking about Stewart and Jeter, but they looked nervous at the start, while Fraser was relaxed. She got a bullet start, and the result was never in doubt after that.

That time of 10.73 is the world-leading time. Stewart ran a PB and still came second!
:blink:
Given that the careers of Flo-Jo and marion Jones are tainted, to me Fraser's time is the real world record....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Wtf?!!!

From the BBC:

Some incredible news breaking in Berlin - The IAAF has asked the South African athletics federation to conduct a gender verification test on 18-year-old 800m favourite Caster Semenya, due to run at 2035 BST, amid concerns she does not meet the requirements to compete as a woman

:laugh:

cover drive man

International Captain
From the BBC:

Some incredible news breaking in Berlin - The IAAF has asked the South African athletics federation to conduct a gender verification test on 18-year-old 800m favourite Caster Semenya, due to run at 2035 BST, amid concerns she does not meet the requirements to compete as a woman

:laugh:
Interesting.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Bwahaha, shouldn't laugh really though.

Imagine the embarrasment if it turns out that their concerns are ill founded, would not only be horrible for the athlete in question, but would make the IAAF look like a load of insensitive cretins.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Is looking a bit blokey really enough to get a gender test? Fair enough I suppose if they want to do the test after the race, but not bringing this up a few hours before the most important race of her life.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Is looking a bit blokey really enough to get a gender test? Fair enough I suppose if they want to do the test after the race, but not bringing this up a few hours before the most important race of her life.
Yeah I was thinking this, it's a shocker, I can't believe that this was leaked either, surely they could have exercised some discretion.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And more relevant to Cricket - will Stuart Broad be asked to prove he's a male before play tomorrow?!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
How humiliating for the 'girl'. But knocking 8 seconds off your personal best in less than 12 months is unheard-of.